Notices

Im depleted

Old 11-19-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

When I felt like this Maximus I prayed I have no religion but I have had faith since a child

One of the few keepsakes I kept after my mother died was a small tiny prayer with a coin in it, it was the saint jude prayer I still use it to this day

Make a point of trying to do the prayer every night for a week & if it helps use it all the time

The St Jude Prayer - A Powerful Prayer for Help
Old 11-19-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'll be thinking about you buddy. You can get through it. I'm still dealing with this too and I've found out it's kinda like a train...it takes a little while to build up that momentum and stay motivated. Just know that once you take the first step you're on the way to building up that momentum.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Just checking bac and feel very blessed to have the support of all of you. I like the idea of right now and today free owl, ty. And yes Carl, I have to keep trying, I may not be there yet, but Im not a quitter by any means. Thanks to everyone who took time to encourage me, it means so much to me. I will keep moving forward.
keep on it...

and don't forget to log in here again first thing "tomorrow" so that I can remind you that it's once again TODAY... and we can discuss RIGHT NOW.

Old 11-19-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yes soberwolf, im a praying person, and I know the novena to
St. Jude well. I do pray all the time, it does bring a measure of comfort. Ty.

Simpleman, thank you for the support. It helps so much to know Im not alone in this. Yes, we can do it!

Freeowl, I will check bac in tomorrow. I like your strategy. Its a done deal then!

Tomorrow's going to be a difficult day. Im having a second vet evaluate my sweet dog, who has already been diagnosed with a torn acl injury. Ive been stressed out about that too, and some other really big changes coming to my life soon. Its all kept me feeling anxious, then depressed. Its just life, and a drink isnt going to fix any of it. So, just for today, no drinking. Then, repeat that tomorrow.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Be strong Maximus. We are in your corner. Just don't drink today... keep it simple. You deserve what comes with being sober, that's why we are all here.

I don't think you are giving yourself enough credit. You do have the strength to make this happen. You've got to remind yourself of exactly why you are trying to be sober, and what you want to get out of your efforts. Each time you think of drinking, remind yourself of these things. I used to keep a list handy and had to read it hourly when my AV started to get the upper hand. Do anything to divert your attention away from these thoughts so you can break this cycle.

Bottom line is be true to yourself, and never give up.

Sorry to hear your dog is having a rough time. My lab tore her ACL about 8 years ago. She is limited, but still gets around pretty well for her age.

We are here whenever you need us!
Old 11-19-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Having an injured animal is hard to deal with, you keep wanting to explain to them why it hurts and you can't.
We're all here for support Max

D
Old 11-19-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry about your dog Maximus sending best wishes
Old 11-19-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Max,

I'm only on day 4 so we can help each other. Why don't you join the November 2015 class? I find it very helpful. I read & post often there for support & accountability.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Well, the news is grim for my dog. She has torn both acl, and will require surgery on both. The only good thing is I found a vet much more affordable, and will be able to do one surgery soon. Then its 2 months of rehab, followed by another surgery, and two more months rehab. So, its going to be a long, hard, painful and expensive road ahead.

Im very depressed today, more then before, and of course the first thought was go have a drink. It would never be one, and it wont change anything, but the hateful desire is still there. As much as I hate alcohol, thats how my crazy mind still thinks. Thats the insanity of addiction.

So, just checking in, depressed, more then a lil angry, but thats just the way it goes.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Sorry to read about your dog, but I'm glad that you're not going to drink.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by maximus97 View Post
Well, the news is grim for my dog. She has torn both acl, and will require surgery on both. The only good thing is I found a vet much more affordable, and will be able to do one surgery soon. Then its 2 months of rehab, followed by another surgery, and two more months rehab. So, its going to be a long, hard, painful and expensive road ahead.

Im very depressed today, more then before, and of course the first thought was go have a drink. It would never be one, and it wont change anything, but the hateful desire is still there. As much as I hate alcohol, thats how my crazy mind still thinks. Thats the insanity of addiction.

So, just checking in, depressed, more then a lil angry, but thats just the way it goes.
OK, so....

RIGHT NOW - it's OK to feel depressed. It's even OK to be angry.

RIGHT NOW, just let yourself know that it's human and normal and OK.

TODAY - what can you do for yourself, in response to those feelings?

TODAY - how can you support yourself?

TODAY - do some of those things, and DON'T DRINK....

RIGHT NOW - don't drink.

TODAY - right up until the time you fall asleep - don't drink.

You're doin' good.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your dog but I'm glad you've decided to stay sober Max - your dog needs you right now, with the same focus and unconditional love she's given you.

D
Old 11-20-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Seriously, FreeOwl has described the only plan that works for me in my worst moments. Thanks for the clarity and emphasis on the simple way forward, FO.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, its good to have your support and understanding. Yes, Im upset, and worried, but Im not drinking over it today. Yes, she needs me, and Im choosing to be there for her. Im going to watch tv, try to relax, and go to bed early tonight. I will worry about all the rest of the tomorrows, as they come. Im not drinking today.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

oh hey.... having just put my dog down a week ago, losing my best friend of 15 years... I thought of one other thing in your situation that will probably be really good;

RIGHT NOW - cuddle that pup.

TODAY - cuddle that pup some more.

(It'll be fantastic for you both)
Old 12-02-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well, here I am again. Day freakin one. After a few days sober here and there. I just can't hardly get a week anymore. Yes, I'm feeling low. Yes, I'm mad at myself. I didn't take things a lil at a time, I got caught up in the lies of the AV, that screamed at me, go ahead and get some relief, you can stop at a few, which is a downright lie. But, I made the choice, so I'm beginning again today. I sound like a stupid broken record, and I feel like one too. I know this is a tough thing to beat, and so far, I haven't been doing so well. But, I'm going to keep on trying, and I just wanted to put those feelings down. Thanks for listening, reading, caring.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Most of us have been there.
What lead to you drinking? What set you ofcourse? Whats your plan for next time a craving hits?

Keep your head up and don't give up.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

what can you do differently this time Max? any ideas?

D
Old 12-02-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Do your best

Glad your here Maximus
Old 12-08-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hey Max... I've just been reading some of your posts. I know all to well the disappointing feeling of drinking when you feel like your mind is made up so strong against it... One of the things I use for myself and especially when I first started getting sober is... I tell myself.. Sure.. I can have a drink.. I just don't want to right now...... There's no law that says I can't if I really want to. I'm an adult.. I just really don't want one right now... That seems to take the edge off for my... I guess because I've never liked to feel like I can't have something I want.. I know that sounds selfish and I guess it is.. But if I want it.. I want it So by giving myself permission I also give myself permission to not have a drink.. It just some how eases the temptation.. I'm not saying I wont have one if I really want one.. I just don't really want one right this minute.... I hope you are having a good day.. Peace.