Notices

Day 60

Old 11-18-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 60

Hi Everyone, tonight I will lay down sober for 62 days. I haven't been sober this long since I was 14 (that was 24 years ago).

Back on 16 Sep 15, my liver was throbbing, my enzymes were high and my new doctor saw right through my BS. I haven't drank since then. I went to AA 3-4 x a week for the first few weeks, and currently go to a Sat AM meeting that is great. I have found that staying sober so far is a matter of keeping myself busy during the times when I would usually pick up a drink (3-4 pm till pass out). I also see a therapist, which is so so.

What also works is not worrying about eternity without booze. Its worrying about the next few hours and making certain those hours are spent sober.

My new sleeping hours are 9 pm to 5 am. Sounds boring but I wouldn't give it away. I cant imagine waking up hungover again. I can do stuff with my kids, read, watch science shows. LIVE. I can do things now that as an actively drinking alcoholic I couldn't.

I never thought I would make is this far, and know that statistics are against me this early. I will keeping working to be sober hour by hour, day by day. There is no way else to explain it.

To those who are sick with painful withdrawals, it does get better. Be honest with your doctor and take their help seriously.

Last edited by Needanewme; 11-18-2015 at 05:29 PM. Reason: Yikes I was two days off :)
Old 11-18-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats needanewme - great post too

D
Old 11-18-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

That's great! I'm 4 days ahead of you. Isn't life better? I'm loving it too.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations! And, I agree that being mindful and staying in the 'now' is a good way to live.
Old 11-18-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This post gives me lots of hope! Thank you for posting
Old 11-18-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Fantastic, Needanewme; great job!!!!!!!
Old 11-18-2015, 08:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Great news, I am sure your health is improving. It takes time but you will heal.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GoldenSands View Post
This post gives me lots of hope! Thank you for posting
Me too!!! Thank you & congrats on 62 days!
Old 11-19-2015, 03:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big congrats on 60 days bud
Old 11-19-2015, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needanewme View Post
Hi Everyone, tonight I will lay down sober for 62 days. I haven't been sober this long since I was 14 (that was 24 years ago).

Back on 16 Sep 15, my liver was throbbing, my enzymes were high and my new doctor saw right through my BS. I haven't drank since then. I went to AA 3-4 x a week for the first few weeks, and currently go to a Sat AM meeting that is great. I have found that staying sober so far is a matter of keeping myself busy during the times when I would usually pick up a drink (3-4 pm till pass out). I also see a therapist, which is so so.

What also works is not worrying about eternity without booze. Its worrying about the next few hours and making certain those hours are spent sober.

My new sleeping hours are 9 pm to 5 am. Sounds boring but I wouldn't give it away. I cant imagine waking up hungover again. I can do stuff with my kids, read, watch science shows. LIVE. I can do things now that as an actively drinking alcoholic I couldn't.

I never thought I would make is this far, and know that statistics are against me this early. I will keeping working to be sober hour by hour, day by day. There is no way else to explain it.

To those who are sick with painful withdrawals, it does get better. Be honest with your doctor and take their help seriously.
Congratulations! You are an inspiration. I think you hit the nail on the head....don't future trip. Having expectations or 'never' drinking again can mess with my head in the long run. Mindfulness is not white knuckling, its just recognizing that this moment is all that is important.

I sleep 10-5:30. Perfect. I believe that being a 'night owl' is somewhat a creation of modern man. If I were a 'night owl' in Paleolithic times I'd be a predators dinner! So here's the the Lark
Old 11-19-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on 60 days! Awesome!

I also find I go to bed much earlier and get up earlier these days. I prefer the morning to the night.

When I have something special and have to get out of the house and hour earlier than usual, which was horrendously difficult while drinking, is now simple & easy......Life is just so much better without alcohol!
Old 11-19-2015, 05:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needanewme View Post

Congratulations! You are an inspiration. I think you hit the nail on the head....don't future trip. Having expectations of 'never' drinking again can mess with my head in the long run. Mindfulness is not white knuckling, its just recognizing that this moment is all that is important.

I sleep 10-5:30. Perfect. I believe that being a 'night owl' is somewhat a creation of modern man. If I were a 'night owl' in Paleolithic times I'd be a predators dinner! So here's to the Lark
Old 11-19-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Day 62 is fantastic!!