Notices

adivce please

Old 09-09-2004, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Scars,Souvineers we never lose

adivce please

Hi,

I have lurked here for a while and asked questions befor but never made any attempt at getting clean. I am now ready to try. I would likeo know what to do as far as AA, NA, or individual counseling. What worked for you? I am very scared but I have this feeling that I am ready. I am definately not at any kind of bottom, although I have had several before, I just feel ready. I have never been the biggest drinker, but have used alcohol to enhance my pill usage and to come down from meth or coke (which i never intend to do, but always happens after taking pills) Please let me know what route you think I should take.

Thank you
Old 09-09-2004, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello

I think the first thing that you need to do is to do some self searching, and to really come to a decision. are you ready to be clean and let your best friend go. Because i do not know about you but my dope was my best friend. Now my best friend is God. The next thing you need to do is find an AA or NA group and go imediatly. I think you will be surprised at the feeling you get from it. It is the most selfpowering experience I have ever had behind descovering Jesus Christ as my lord and savior. :rose Jessica
Old 09-09-2004, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi Want2Bclean,
I'm glad you've made the decision to come clean with your addiction. Do you feel strong enough to quit using without a doctor's appointment? I worry that the withdrawal symptoms may be too severe. What do you think?
Sandy
Old 09-09-2004, 01:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Do you feel strong enough to quit using without a doctor's appointment? I worry that the withdrawal symptoms may be too severe.
Yep. I'll second that.

If you really want to get clean, talk to your doctor first.

If you are adamently against this, like some ppl are, have the number for your ER/ambulance handy!

Now for what you can do.... I use AA/NA. My drugs were alcohol, pain pills, benzos, meth, and crack cocaine. With the fellowship of AA and NA I'm coming up on a year in Oct.

There are alternatives to AA and NA... SMART seems like a good one. I'll edit in the URL for "12 step alternatives".

Here it is...
http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/1...ernatives.html

PM me any time you want. If you want to talk, we can meet in the chatroom.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

want2Bclean,
Welcome to SR. I have to agree with Sandy and Moot about calling your doctor, or having someone with you, just incase the withdrawls are bad. I went to a detox, who referred me to a wonderful outpatient, once I had withdrawn from the drugs and alcohol. I also go to AA/NA meetings every day. In the beginning I went to 2 meetings alot of days. It was in those rooms that I met people like me, who were learning how to live without the use of drugs/alcohol. I now have a little over 4 months, but I live in today. One day at a time. Talk to your doctor, or go to a meeting. There is help out there, you just have to reach for it.

Sherry
Old 09-09-2004, 02:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can give you what is working for me.

1.see below
Old 09-09-2004, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I can give you what is working for me.

1.Don;t Drink or use in any form--no matter what (just for today)
2.Go to meetings. AA NA either one
3.Pray--even if it's "Oh God, please release me from the obsession--keep me away from it today"

My problem is that I want 10 yrs. sobriety in 2 weeks. If all that you can do is Not drink/use, go to a meeting and stay for the prayer at the end. And keep doing this just one day at a time. IT will work.

You don't have to go all the way to the bottom. Go to any lengths to avoid it.