Notices

Trouble speaking to people

Old 11-17-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Interesting thread. There's a lot I can identify with in there. I also tend to find that I'm not the best at translating thoughts into words. I can have a very clear and well defined idea or concept in my head, but then I struggle with finding the right words to convey it. I think for me it's a combination of two things. One is that I am a more internally oriented person and tend to live in my head a fair bit. If not taken to an extreme, I think that's a fairly normal personality trait. The second is that I probably have some marginal undiagnosed social anxiety that makes more of a 'verbal filter' in certain situations. I don't find either of these things overly problematic. Just annoying at times. I'm in a work environment that really hinges on communicating ideas, so apparently I make do well enough. But I still always feel that translating thoughts to words is a weakness of mine.
Old 11-18-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

All my life. I really should do something about that 😂
Old 11-18-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Andante View Post
Seriously? If I ran to the doctor's office every time I got stuck for a word (or experienced any of numerous other cognition or memory foibles), I'd never be anywhere else.
Clearly, I didn't say every time it happened... What post are you reading!?!? But, if it's been going on for N I N E MONTHS and it **never** used to happen...
Originally Posted by lovingit View Post
...for a while, if not all of my sobriety, I'm having trouble talking.
then yes--suggesting someone see a doctor due to a change is NOT an over-reaction.

This thread has nothing to do with the common fumbling of words; if so, I doubt the OP would have posted, as everyone fumbles with word every now and then. Maybe I'm just sensitive to the issue because I used to work in neurology. But hey--it's your life. If you're ok with it, so be it!
Old 11-18-2015, 04:27 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies.

I'm quite sure I don't require a neurologist or medical advice, at this time.

Just a little tongue tied.

I'll try slowing down a bit. There are no extra points for quick responses.
Old 11-18-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had similar hassles for quite a while, but I had a pretty bad detox involving some mini strokes, so for me it took a few years but I feel I'm back to where I was.

The brain has a great way of finding workarounds

D
Old 11-18-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I used to find I speak much better French when drunk than when sober. Took a while to realise it was just that I worried more about making mistakes when sober, and would clam up when I wasn't sure if I knew the right words to express what I wanted to say, and when drunk I just didn't give a s*** and would just rattle on regardless.

In other words, I wasn't speaking any better, or more clearly, or with better word choices, I just didn't care that I was making mistakes, and the person I was speaking to didn't care either. Whereas when sober, I did care.

Is it possible the same thing is happening here? Were you really much more articulate while drinking than now you're sober, or did you possibly just not care as much about getting everything right before speaking then as you do now?
Old 11-18-2015, 04:52 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

most of us are wishing for the best for all

Originally Posted by lovingit View Post

If you couldn't communicate well before, can you now?
It get's better is we work and pray about it and not give up trying our best to communicate with others.

Not pulling back and giving up -- we keep trying.

Needing to remember that most people are not as critical as we think in regards to us and our behaviors. For we all have battles that we are fighting and most of us are wishing for the best for all.

MB
Old 11-18-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

From an article here:

Understanding Schizophrenia: Symptoms & Treatment
Old 11-18-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Administrator

Exclamation

That's a long bow you're pulling there Trach.

For various reasons, I have a 'poverty of speech' too - doesn't make me schizophrenic.

Let's everyone pull back to the rules:

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Experience only please.

Dee
SR
Old 11-18-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have this problem, for me it's social anxiety, no doubt about it. Sometimes it makes me feel really stupid and then I get anxiety about what that person thinks of me. Ahh
Old 11-18-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

i should avoid other peoples recoveries.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Thanks, Dee.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've always had the 'gift of gab' and been accused of being "loquacious" a time or too...not sure if that's good or bad....Sometimes I have to consciously work on listening more than talking...
Old 11-19-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

schizophrenia? OK I was treading lightly before but now I'm positive some people are over-reacting!
Old 11-19-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by juppe View Post
schizophrenia? OK I was treading lightly before but now I'm positive some people are over-reacting!
Agreed!!! That's a bit much.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

C'mon guys - you know how SR works - lets focus on the original poster and not the replies

Dee
SR