Notices

The Last Goodbye

Old 11-16-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The Last Goodbye

I'm just about to have my last ever drink. And my last cigarette.

It's a Chinese beer that I ordered with my takeaway dinner. I've Allen Carr's book and I'm reading the last chaper "your last drink". I'll start from the beginning tomorrow but I'll get this last drink now.

I'm not very well right now but if I can find a glimmer of hope I know that stacking sober days upon sober days, with patience and care will get me to where I want to be. A happy sober peacefull love filled life and a mature caring loving person.

I don't believe in the disease model on alcoholism but I do believe it's a bloody sickness . Maybe that's the same thing. But who cares. I consume alcohol and I become ill. Very ill. Mentally, phsycally, emotianlly and spiritually. This is no way to live. This is no past time.

There can never be just one more drink for me. I need to put it behind me now for ever. That one drink is a slip into the abyss of sickness. Into the belly of the monster. Into a prison. Into a world were I'm lost and more alone than I could ever imagine.

And for what? A twenty minute glow? And smoking? I'm not even a smoker. And Charlie? I'm not really that kind of person to be interested in drugs. Unless Miss Just One Drink gets a hold of me. Well you can fvck off once and for all girl. It's over. It's over. It's over. Get out of my life for good. I mentioned to one person tonight.....that "I don't feel well, my stomach hurts. My stomach hurts when I drink so I'm stopping today" That person said to me "if it doesn't agree with you don't take it, you'll be better off" Oh I love people like that. I need more people like that. But it's got to be irrelevant what other people say. This is my bag baby. This is my responsibility. This is my life. This is a sickness for me if I take oh Miss Just One Drink's advances. Nah this is mine. It's killing me, not you. You get that? It's killing me not you. It's coming close to the end of the day and tomorrow Tuesday 17th of November 2015 will be the first day on my sober journey. It's not a destination, it's a journey. The sober process is the outcome. There's no final outcome. The process is the journey. I'm not going to arrive anywhere. I'm going to become the process. There will be no epifany. But there will be a slow, gradual burner with the process having a compound affect and producing a slow steady....inner peace of mind and happiness.

This is The Slight Edge. This is the waterhyacinth plant. It starts off small but pretty soon and almost unperceptively it will cover the whole damn pond. you start with a plan but the plan changes. Everyday you guide your ship with the power of choice. The spaceship that went to the moon was on course 0.09% of the time. It had to be constantly guided back on course gently and steadily. This is the Slight Edge. This is the Compound Effect. In one years time with all these sober days stacked up guided by daily positive correct live enhancing choices The Hyacinth plant will be covering a great deal of the pond. Will it be glamourous? No. Will it be mundane? Yep.....which is the key

Master the Mundane. Successfull people are willing to do what unsuccessfull people are unwilling to do. Things that are easy to do, but so tragically easy not to do. Forget the past. Taking responsibility for your life means focusing on the present moment and choosing live enhancing choices with one eye one the future. Forget the past. Goodbye poison. Goodbye the past. Hello new day. hello new life.

I can do this. And I can do it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bi7yB7wH3to

The last goodbye. Adios baby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzcGs0slGhA
Old 11-16-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Looking forward to reading some of your sober stuff. A grandiose send-off!....I'm sure you're an even better writer sober Rake...
Old 11-16-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Old 11-16-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

As much as I like the Carr book his idea of the last drink was utterly lost on me.

I already knew the reality of that one more drink would not live up to the hype..and last hurrahs were always potentially dangerous for me because once I drink I lose all reason.

Think of this as not some romantic breakup - but the reclaiming of the real you and a real life.

I really hope you can make this your turning point TheRake

D
Old 11-16-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The Allen Carr book is helpful. Good luck friend!! You can change one decision at a time.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

We hear your suffering, Rake. Leave it behind.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Don't give that toxic poison any more romance than it deserves (which is zero).

Pour it away, and make the last drink before that one your last drink.

Regards
Old 11-16-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
Don't give that toxic poison any more romance than it deserves (which is zero).

Pour it away, and make the last drink before that one your last drink.

Regards
It's gone. I'm now on water. And into Day 1

I've been on quite the bender since Friday. Same last weekend. Friday night I went out on barely slept and started drinking straight away Saturday moring, same all day Sunday. I went out about 2am Sunday didn't go to bed and went to work....that didn't last and staight back on the beer....

.....one of them had to be the last drink.....I just made a conscious acknowledgment that that particular one was the last. The point of it is just like a last conscious cigarette is to ask yourself "what the hell am I getting out of this"

which I did....I was sinking the beer, which I tell you I haven't even been enjoying the drinks and looking at it and saying "this liquid is what's causing me all the grief in my life. this liquid. and for what?? for what??"

I said to myself immediately after....there right now....your free....your free from that trap and I start clearing the rubbish and crushed the rest of the smokes and got on the water.

I'm free right now. and why not say that to myself as I do feel a tad more positive than I did one hour ago.
Old 11-16-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Rake, im 1 month in tomo, look forward to following ur progress!!!
Old 11-16-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

It's gone. I'm now on water. And into Day 1
Glad to hear that!! This is one of the best decisions ever. I am not familiar with Allan Carr's method but I can tell you that you will find plenty of support on SR so make use of it. You can do it, you are not alone
Old 11-16-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What does it mean when people just leave a period as their comment?

Glad to hear you are on your way to sobriety Rake. It is insane that this liquid, this drink, poison, that we pour down our throats, only to make us feel so bad, has us in its grips. I hate it.

Hugs.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
waking down

Whatever works. My last drink was a vodka shooter used for relief during day two of the hangover to end all hangovers. Big fun.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Jemma44 View Post
What does it mean when people just leave a period as their comment?

Glad to hear you are on your way to sobriety Rake. It is insane that this liquid, this drink, poison, that we pour down our throats, only to make us feel so bad, has us in its grips. I hate it.

Hugs.
it usually means they changed their mind about posting.
Our software won't allow you to leave an empty post, so a period suits.

D
Old 11-16-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good luck! I had a bunch of "last drinks" and "last cigarettes" but they never actually ended up being my last. My real last drink (one year, four months, and three days ago), I didn't know it was going to be my last drink. Now I'm glad I didn't have some big ceremonious send-off type "final drink," because that would be investing a lot of mental energy into the specialness of alcohol, when really it's nothing special at all.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you! I can't tell you how many "last drinks" I've had. More power to you. Rootin for ya.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good write. Rooting for you also.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Congrats on your Day 1!!

Yesterday was my Day 1, not by choice but because of relapse.

We can do this!!!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My hope for you is that this post represents the last moment of you making this more complicated than it really needs to be.

1 - Choose a deep, rich, full and present life
2 - Firmly decide and accept that being sober is essential to 1
3 - Get busy with ACTIONS that support these choices

It's really as simple as that. It's not easy, but it's that simple.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheRake View Post

I'm just about to have my last ever drink. And my last cigarette.

Sounds good if alcoholic ? On paper anyway.

Good luck,
MB
Old 11-17-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good luck TheRake!

I read the same book, and it really helped. I'd already had my last drink and like Dee that was the only thing I thought was a mistake in the book (it says don't stop till you've finished the book, but how many people start and don't finish books? Just dumb).

What I might suggest is having a plan to back up what you just read. In my case I combined it with AVRT (you can read about it in the Secular forum here, or look up AVRT Crash Course online). But convincing as his arguments are, your Addictive Voice is going to start shouting at you for more booze in a day or two, so you'll want to be as well armed as possible.

Speaking of last drinks, I had a great place for a last drink. A glass of wine in France while talking to a 19-years sober colleague, a conversation which ultimately was the final nail in the coffin of my drinking. Unfortunately a week later my wife talked me into having a pint in a dreary pub on a trip we went on which was going very wrong and she thought it would cheer me up (cold, raining, the place we were staying was a dump, I didn't feel well). I didn't enjoy it and didn't finish it. A few days later I made the decision to quit for good.

Actually, maybe that made it the perfect final drink