Notices

help!!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

help!!

I have been adamant all day I'm not drinking today now I need to go the shop for something else in a bit and my little head is thinking ..... buy wine too!! I'm doing what some of you advised and coming on here first. I know you will all say don't do it but will it be enough!!?
Old 11-16-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

But - you don't drink.

I'm not being flippant. That was what I continued to tell myself when those thoughts popped up. It's just a thought and has no power over you. Sometimes I would mentally list out peoples' usernames on here when I needed a distraction. I would say, "All these people are behind me and would tell me I don't drink."

You'll be fine. Go to bed sober tonight.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know, will it? Will it be enough that we talk you out of it?

Dear Adelina, you know better. We can give you feedback but ultimately this will be up to you. Remember that thoughts are just thoughts and you don't have to act out on them. Buy booze and then what? Drink it and feel like cr@p on a physical and emotional level? Play the tape. What is going to happen if you drink.

Remember what YOU want!!!
Old 11-16-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Catch and Release

I second what Bimini says. I'm the same. Whenever that thought of drinking pops into my head I say "I don't drink". Waking up sober always beats waking up hungover. Play the tape through Adalina - there is nothing positive to be gained by drinking.

CF
Old 11-16-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

I agree with Nowsthetime. The way I handled my few urges over the past 3 weeks was playing the tape forward. Once doing that I found that there wasn't a shred of good that was going to come out of my drinking. Realizing I had already made up my mind to not drink anymore, I was sure that I wasn't going to let my AV talk me into it again. Be strong and think of something fun and sober you can do tonight. That type of stuff helps me.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I like to remember the most wretched hangover and also the worst situations that I had because of drinking. This helps a lot. Be self aware. Get outside of yourself and have perspective. Remember that being sober is cool. You are always present and that really means something. And remember we are with you.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses and good advice, the stupid thing is I'm already exhausted and hung over from the last 3 nights drinking yet the temptation was still there..... its when I'm feeling good in a couple of days that I will really struggle! It's good to know there's people here that know how I'm feeling xx
Old 11-16-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yep, it's easy to forget. That's why we have to work a plan. Do you have one?
Old 11-16-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Send your husband.

At some point you will have to go out in the world, face alcohol. But perhaps not on day 2, when you're feeling tempted.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Adelina, fantastic job in posting before you went to the shop! It's these small steps that can make all the difference.

As others said, just keep reminding yourself that "I don't drink". Write it on whatever hand would physically reach for that bottle if you have to. Tape a note onto your wallet or purse saying "I don't drink" for when you get to the checkout. Just say to the cashier that you changed your mind about that item and they'll set it aside if it's already in your trolley. People do that all the time with regular groceries they might have picked up on impulse, it's no big deal. Nobody will bat an eye. They'll just think it's because you thought twice about the unnecessary cost, nothing to do with an alcohol problem.

If you have a smartphone, bring it with you to the shop and force yourself to check in here before you buy anything. Again, to remind yourself that "I don't drink".

Just do whatever you've gotta do till it starts getting easier. Which it will.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, play the tape in your head and walk through it. I sat in a parking lot this weekend doing just that on Saturday night. Ok, I go into the store, walk down the isle, and purchase xxx wine. I like to imagine it in very minute detail. Then, go home, etc. Imagine going back to day one. Imagine how you'll feel tomorrow with an incredible hangover. Then what? You've given yourself permission to drink, so are you going to start the cycle over again tomorrow? Of course, because you can't control your drinking. Keep repeating to yourself "I will not drink no matter what." This routine will put that AV to rest. Stay strong!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Or as Doggonecarl said, send your husband. Or only take enough cash to pay for what you need to get. When my girls as a treat get to go in a shop to buy sweets I give them exactly enough money to buy what they're allowed to have. I don't rely on their willpower (much as I love and trust them). Treat yourself the same way until you've proven yourself trustworthy.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted Adelina. How are you doing now?

D
Old 11-16-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Go to bed sober tonight! You can do it! I have 8 days today and miraculously survived my first weekend sans a drink. Go to a meeting before heading to the market! You can definitely do this!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by adelina123 View Post
head is thinking ..... buy wine too!!
Actually...it isn't.

Your addiction is feeling like it wants wine.

Your thinking head posted here on SR because you know doing your addiction's bidding is the wrong thing to do.

Separate yourself, and what you want - from your addiction, and what it wants.

You can do this!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses.
I didn't buy wine even though i had to walk straight past it.
I going to try to answer some of your comments in one post ...
1. Couldn't send husband he's at work.
2. My plan for tonight is bed early. As for other nights not sure. The problem I have is that I have my children and pretty much have the same routine each evening. This is frequently accompanied by wine. I can't see how I can change the routine I just have to get used to doing it without wine.
3. My other plan is to go to a smart meeting on Wednesday. I've worked out a way to attend for this week at least not sure after that.
I like some of your suggestions I. E only taking enough cash for what you need. I'll Def try doing that in future xx
Old 11-16-2015, 11:07 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses.

2. My plan for tonight is bed early. As for other nights not sure. The problem I have is that I have my children and pretty much have the same routine each evening. This is frequently accompanied by wine. I can't see how I can change the routine I just have to get used to doing it without wine.
Do your children know you've given up drinking? My kids (I have 3) have been my "little policemen" so to speak. If I drink they will definitely smell it on my breath, so I certainly can't drink while their awake. Having them on your side cheering you on is real motivating!
Old 11-16-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Adelina
Old 11-16-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

. The problem I have is that I have my children and pretty much have the same routine each evening. This is frequently accompanied by wine. I can't see how I can change the routine I just have to get used to doing it without wine.
One of the things that helped me so much in the early days was change my routines and daily patterns. If you are really not able to do that, I hope you can manage to not drink.

I'm glad you posted.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

The problem I have is that I have my children and pretty much have the same routine each evening. This is frequently accompanied by wine. I can't see how I can change the routine I just have to get used to doing it without wine.
The routine has been your drinking. You've changed that up by quitting. The other things you do at night can and will be done sober.