Notices

My First 3 Weeks

Old 11-16-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

My First 3 Weeks

So...I have made it past 3 weeks. I am writing this thread for me, and all of those who are starting this journey. These are just my opinions and I hope this doesn't affect anyone negatively. This will be a long one. I would hope anyone and everyone who reads this adds to things they have experienced, both good and bad, that will help us all realize that we are not alone and we all walk this path together.

Over the last 3 weeks I have seen my anxiety go from really high, to almost gone. I have seen my bouts with random tears turn to more random smiles. I have seen my face slim up from the lack of carb loaded beer nights. My skin has improved. My self confidence has risen again. I take out a heck of a lot less garbage since there aren't any beer cans...ha! I haven't had to pretend I was doing work in the garage so I could slam back a beer or two so the wife and kids wouldn't see. I have started reading again. I have started to realize how short life really is and how sad it is to count the amount of time or experiences that I will never remember because I was too drunk.

I have seen my relationship with my wife improve drastically, both on an emotional and physical level. Not to get too personal, but lets just say she is more prone to affection when I don't smell like a brewery and am not sideways. I am working on my relationship with my 4 children. For too long they have had a dad who would only give them the time of day once he was about 4 beers deep.

I have begun to realize that I can get through a day, both good and bad, without alcohol. As a matter of fact, I can either face the challenges or reap the rewards of the day much better sober. I have begun caring about my friends lives again. I found that when I was constantly at the bottom of a bottle, I never thought about anyone but myself.

I have found that I do not like being in social situations. I have been to a wedding and have the company Christmas party coming up. I hated being at the wedding and was even told that I looked like I wasn't having any fun. That is because I wasn't. I sat and thought about how many drinks I would have had by that point and how relaxed I would have been. I watched people get hammered and act crazy, but not once did I want to be them. I just felt sorry for the fact that I could no longer enjoy myself the way I used to. I was a lot less talkative then I usually am as well.

I have found that I am forgetting to take my anxiety medication on a daily basis. I used to take the stuff like it was my lifesaver, but now it isn't as big a deal to me. I need to remember this because I truly believe the meds helped me see clearly enough to make the decision to give up the booze.

I found that I care so much for everyone who is on SR who are starting this journey or are in the first few days. Although I don't have any where near the length of sobriety as most of the members on here, I feel I honored for even the opportunity to help one single person on this board.

I found that I like myself. I found that I am not a bad person. I found that once the dust settles, I can be a contributing member to society. For all those who are curious if life is possible while being sober, I am here to shout YES!!!! Always think about how great you feel when you wake up without a hangover. Realize that people with out an addiction will never have the opportunity to look at it that way. We are the lucky ones. In my opinion, many people take life and others for granted. Those of us going through this struggle can not and probably will not ever do that.

God bless everyone here on SR and those who are fighting the battle off of it. I wish there was a way to let them all know how much support is one here. Let's keep fighting the good fight!

Chris
Old 11-16-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hi C23. First, congrats on 3 weeks! I could have written much of what you wrote. Many of the things you're seeing I also saw. Life, both the good and the bad, is so much better when you're not numbing it out with alcohol.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

This is wonderful to read!!! I agree so much with a lot of what you wrote. keep working your planned and keep being vigilant. Things will keep getting better and better. It is great that you know that it's not always going to be great but that's OK because life has ups and downs and now you can feel every emotion for what it is instead of numbing it .

I agree with what you said about SR and its members. It and they have help me change my life for the better.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm new so I don't have much to say, but thank you so much for posting this.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What a great post. This is just what I needed to read to start my week. Very encouraging.

Thank you for writing this. And congratulations. Keep doin' what you are doin'.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

C23,
well you helped me today with this post! Your description of drinking beer fits me perfectly. I took out a garbage bag filled with cans from yesterday. I pray that tomorrow I will not do the same things. God Bless!
Old 11-16-2015, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm on three weeks today as well and am noticing a lot of the same things you are.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

3 weeks is awesome congrats
Old 11-17-2015, 12:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by C23 View Post
I feel I honored for even the opportunity to help one single person on this board.
That post has helped me, thank you, my motivation has just been turned up a few notches.

I'm very grateful to you Chris.