Notices

Encouraging experience...

Old 11-16-2015, 06:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Encouraging experience...

Hi all....

I'm a little glum still today. The loss of my dog, my friend for 15 years, on Friday still weighs heavily with me. The waves of sobbing have subsided... but the blue heaviness is still there.

My suspected SAD is still in swing too... and I wound up skipping my SAD light a couple of days which had a noticeable effect. Add those things up and I've had a weekend that was pretty fraught with emotional rawness and depression.

Still... not once did I have even a niggling thought of drinking or using drugs. I've rolled through these emotions and allowed them to be. I've still managed to laugh, I've still managed to be with my Lady and my family and be present in my life. I've managed to share some of my sorrow, to be alone with it as well. I've managed to get to the gym and go for a run and take a nice hike with my Lady and her dog....

In other words, despite significant loss, sadness, depression, anxiety and turbulence in my Life - I have managed to continue to Live. And I did it without drinking or smoking or taking pills or doing coke or any sort of mind-altering numbing agent whatsoever.

This is an encouraging experience, as I approach 2 years sober. I just thought I'd share it. Because if you've not yet had this sort of experience - I want you to know that you can.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry about your companion. I feel your pain. My doggies, specially one of them, are getting up there.

I send you a big hug. Long live our furry companions, in our memories forever and in our hearts.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

That's really great to hear FreeOwl. Life is full of good and bad experiences. To live and feel the emotions that will come with life with a clear mind are so much better. Yes, there will be hurt and sad days. that's just part of life.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for your loss FreeOwl. I have two dogs that my mom thankfully takes care of while I'm away for school. I always wonder what I'll do when its their time because they have become a big part of the family.

I commend you for staying sober through this rough time.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The peace that transcends all understanding.

It is amazing how we are built to withstand this stuff sober, isn't it? I think about this a lot. I have a pet who is going downhill. The last one that died sent me into a depression that was hard to pull out of - I was drinking heavily of course.

Drinking just makes everything so much worse and it so alters my natural ability to find peace and equilibrium.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best