Notices

newby

Old 11-20-2015, 08:10 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SueOc View Post
URGENT ADVICE NEEDED
Hi guys,
christmas is coming and i have my polish friends all come to me and hubby like last year and i do all the cooking etc and last year involved a lot of drinking too.... same this year and had a cfrazy thought this morning that I could stop my antiabuse meds before hand then drink for that week then go back on them beg January.... after 1 week and 1 day I foolishly think i might have some control.... I think its my mind playing tricks on me tbh but wanted to know how to cope when everyone around me is drinking and i feel like i ll be missing out on something - wanted to address this now before the event or situation arises to see what you all think or what your experiences are - sorry to be a pain but its on my mind so I thought i would ask for help!! good to be sober on day 8 xx
Hi Sue and welcome;
The holidays can be tough, but you know very well that there is no control possible for us drinkers.
That's just how it is--the voice telling you that we call "the AV" (Addictive Voice) and it isn't your friend.
It is your addiction trying to draw you back in.

Be firm and resolute and say NO, as many times as needed, to the AV until it shuts up. It will eventually.

My suggestions are:
Take the anabuse daily, and tell your friends you are on antibiotics (still) and will not be drinking this holiday.

Get some supplies of sparking water, juice, herbal tea blends, a juicer, or whatever can replace the usual alcoholic drink in hand

Realize that the cravings will pass when / if you have them and post here in the November class or on this thread as soon as you feel them. We get it and can help you pass through the tough time.

And the tough time will pass--each time you get through one your "sober muscle" will get stronger and you will get more confident you can do this.

You are early days in sobriety and the many many benefits you will get from not drinking aren't yet in front of you--but they are coming--we promise--but this is where you must strong and resolute and determined not to drink for any reason.

This is a fragile and delicate time.
I also quit just before the holidays and I know exactly how you feel,
but persist and you will succeed.
Old 11-22-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

thank you so much for your reply - i dont know why i was thinking that but not now - its day 11 tomorrow for me - just took my antiabuse tablet tonight - went to a friends for dinner today and offerred a drink opted for coke and out for a meal last night and opted for coke so am not doing bad actually even mentally - physically am worried about a rash i have developed and feels like my skin is crawling and the rash is growing so am going to try and see a dermatologist tomorrow if not just a doctor - had it before i started the medication so although the tablets could be making it worse its certainly not the cause - i know no one can give medical advice on here and am not asking for it - regards the holiday I will just find an alternative - a couple of my friends will prob not drink anyway in support of me but i dont want to ban it - hubby had a couple of beers last night and it didnt bother me at all - I have however ate soooo much I need to start a diet tomorrow!!! especially chocolate and sweets/cake etc ........ sleep well everyone and I will check in tomorrow and thank you for everything xxx
Old 11-23-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I am off to docs in 20 mins to get rash looked at and then working till 6pm - am totaly exhausted today as been up since 3am - feel great for day 11 but pants cos of other stuff going on physically - need to get these things addressed that i ignored all the time when i was self medicating with drink!!! hope everyone having a good day but I bet some are not am up and down at the minute energy then tired determined then crying ... cant sleep then fall asleep sitting up!!!!! dont know what the hell is going on but I will ride the storm and see where it takes me xxx
Old 11-23-2015, 11:51 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Morning everyone got rash sorted thank god!!! day 12 for me today and feeking good slept like a log last night for once long day ahead but not tempted to drink which is good -kinda think am over not having beer but wine a diff story if i had a bottle at home dont know if it would survive me so not that strong i suppose not yet anyway xxx have a great day to all and i will check in later - this site has become my support and all you members too very helpful and supportive am so happy i found it xxx
Old 11-24-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 12 Sue
Old 11-24-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

well work nearly finished am soo tired and could really really fancy a glass of wine right now but am not gonna its not worth being ill for thats for sure ...... cup of tea after work and piece of cake I think would be best but I need to get my food under control now cos eating like a pig!! is this normal?? thank you for the congrats soberwolf really apprec iated xxxxx
Old 11-24-2015, 07:17 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Yes, you eat a lot in the beginning but it levels off.
Your body is maybe craving the carbs / sugar it used to get from booze.

I find ice cream the very best "food defense" against relapse.
Also, be sure to eat good quality food as we are often deficient in nutrition
when drinking
Old 11-24-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

my body must be craving carbs and sugar cos never ate this much in my life!!! more cake required i think lol x seriously though day 12 ok ish but tired all day - that must be the pills i reckon - busy day tomorrow too but will check in in the morning after what i hope will be a good nights sleep xxx
Old 11-27-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

hi everyone day 15 for me - had a couple of day wobble but not drank on it.... just news that am going on holiday 26th december with friends into the polixh mountains ski ing but they will all be drinking and i thought i would want to also. BUT spoke to a friend and hubby and now you all to say although i dont know for sure am pretty positive I can go and not drink - thats the plan anyway just social occassions and a holiday seems unatural to me without drinking so am working through it in my head any advice or your experiences would be much appreciated at this time guys - am new to this thought so I really am looking for coping mechanisms and stories on how you all coped with holidays and social occassions for the first time - i really need to start doing things outside of work without drinking involved but av been sooo tired I havent had the energy recently xx my skin feels and looks better and am 10x more productive at work so far so that is a big plus just need to sort my social side out!!! xx HELP!!
Old 11-27-2015, 12:19 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Going on a holiday when others will be drinking is risky this soon Sue.

I would not have done it...but I know well enough here that people don't want to miss out on fun things as non drinkers, so the final decision is yours..

If you go, make sure you sure you go with a plan - think about likely situations, and what you might be tempted with. Think of responses that will reflect your desire to be sober.

Think of ways you can tune out the drinking and focus on your recovery, and remember we will be here for support

D
Old 11-27-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thank you Dee xxx
Old 11-27-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I would not go by choice but hubby wants to and I have to face it somehow xx
Old 11-27-2015, 03:40 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Do your best

I would talk to Mrs Sw if I didn't feel ready nothing comes before your sobriety if you don't feel ready that isn't a red flag that's a statement that I respect as I felt the exact same way in early sobriety

If you told hubby exactly what you told us I'm sure he loves you enough to understand that by skipping this that its in your best interest

If you have even a tiny shred of doubt I wouldn't go

Rootin for you Sue
Old 11-27-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

cheers Soberwolf - I have a lot to think about - I hope I manage to go though its just not ideal at the moment but neither is Christmas and New Year either!!! lol x I have conquered going out for a meal and a business meeting in a pub and having friends for dinner (fanta and coke go with all dishes) but the holiday is a biggy - I will check in later and thank you so much for your words of wisdom it really helps talking to people who know - someone replying saying well you just cant!!(a friend) does nothing for me so its great to read from u guys who really do know and have been there xxx
Old 11-27-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Do your best

Anytime Sue XO
Old 11-28-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi everyone day 16 today for me and feeling good - woke up in a fun mood tday but then spent afternoon shopping and exhausted...... had some food and a smoothy which was lush - started writing my book too which i think is going to be theraputic for me I hope so anyway x hope your all well and enjoying the weekend I have loads of housy things to do.... question about addiction though - Do we drink and develop an addiction because its an escape from youreself? does that mean low self esteem? am confused because i cant find the answer to why I became an alcoholic do you all have your answer as to why or is that not important xxx
Old 11-28-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Do your best

Can't wait to read your book Sue
Old 11-29-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks soberwolf - its called behind the smile it starts with current struggle then goes back to childhood and and working through my life good things and bad etc and back to the present day!! I have always wanted to write this book for years but never been sober enough till now - Hope you and everyone well and having a great Sunday - I have done mega loads of housy jobs and getting organised for the week ahead (very differrent from being hungover and drinking from sunday noon to make myself feel better from shakes and getting pissed all sunday afternoon until pass out time (stinking drunk) VERY DIFFERRENT AND MUCH BETTER !!! feeling happy today xxxxxxx and again appreciate your support I love checking in here and reading replies etc xxxxxx
Old 11-29-2015, 03:04 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome Sue
Old 11-29-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Glad things are going well and you're getting to writing at last. . .
that is fantastic!

Be sure to be very careful as tempting situations sound like they are coming up quickly.

Have a plan, and several non-alcoholic drinks, at the ready