Notices

Not looking for sympathy

Old 11-15-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Not looking for sympathy

I've debated even posting this here but I feel I've gotten to recognize a lot of you here and there's a lot of wisdom. This has been kind of eating at me this weekend.

I'm in the very fortunate position to be able to retire early. I'm 57. On Fri I told my boss I wanted to retire at the end of Jan next year. I thought I'd feel some relief and excitement. But instead I'm feeling like I'm letting him down and the people that work for me down. My boss even told me he had me in his plan as his successor. I'm also a little scared what the future will look like. I'll no longer have that rhythm of getting up and going to work everyday. I did think all this through before I made a decision to retire but the thoughts and feelings I'm having are not what I was expecting.

I'm certainly not looking for a pity party but just writing this and getting it out there helps me get it off my chest.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, it sounds perfectly normal to be a little in conflict.

You will find useful endeavors. The business will go on. I always want to think the world will cease to revolve without me, but in reality I've found through experience that is not the case. You are more than your career, and there are likely ways to stay involved even after retirement...maybe consulting for the same company, or maybe beginning a related small business.

I think it's wonderful that you can retire early. You're blessed.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

don't retire to run away from working. retire to run to retirement. the only person you need to please is you, the company will go on and your boss will find a successor with or without you. if you want to work, work. if you want to retire, retire. not an easy decision but you're young and have a lot of life left to live. you should enjoy it, whatever you decide. good luck.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'll just second the others, JD. If you're in a situation where you can retire early, embrace it.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your ability to retire at a young age, jd; you will have so much opportunity to devote time and service to your passions - charitable endeavors, hobbies, travel . . .

Enjoy!!!!!!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great advice as the others have posted! As for me, it would be a blessing if I could retire at 57 or even 67 - when that day arrives! At 27 with no retirement savings to look at I would say your bless and you definitely worked for 57 years to enjoy the rest of your time left on earth enjoying life! Work, work, work - I'm sorry to say this but I may work till I die - but hey that is my life! Take some time off and enjoy your retirement! If you feel like going back to work a year or two later - go for it. I'm sure your company will still be there and you have some great connections from what I'm assuming.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

I think a lot of us are people pleasers. We really need to look out for number one. Always weigh pros and cons of your situation if you're like me. If you can't make up your mind or your uncomfortable or something let a piece of paper make up your decisions. And as far as not feeling sorry for you that is a black-and-white bone dry way to look at it with no emotions on anybody's side
Old 11-15-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

Sounds like some really good advice , JD and yeah congrats on having the opportunity.
Maybe you feel a little anxious about decisions and future planning because of a new perspective ? Not sure how much sober time you have , but I know for me the last couple of years have been my least fatalistic, I seem to be enjoying a growing optimism having shed the chains I carried around for so long. Maybe it's a good thing , a somewhat subconscious realization that the wtf's and the negative grinding have dissipated and a new (better, but different) overall outlook and thinking process is becoming the new normal ? IDK , really, the thought just struck me, I think its ok to be nervous or anxious about things in the proper amounts and for me anyway the optimism hat feels funny, not bad just different.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD

Thanks everyone for the replies. As I said in the beginning, there is a lot of wisdom here. After reflecting for awhile every human suffers with shame. Many of us here suffer more. Feeling that shame can make us more people pleasers and feeling bad for looking out for ourselves. I think that is what I'm feeling.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

JD, congratulations on being in such a position. You must be a very compassionate guy to have the feelings you are experiencing. In the end though, you must do what is right for yourself. Agree?
Old 11-15-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
JD

I agree Jeff, and thanks. Btw, I'm a Jeff too
Old 11-15-2015, 01:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats JD! I just second what everyone else has said and I wish you much success!
Old 11-15-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Jeff.
I agree that you're not letting anyone down by following your own dreams

D.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

People pleaser here to. You are lucky to have managed to people please yourself into early retirement. Most of us are not so lucky as we forget about ourselves. And if as a people pleaser you still decided to do this, you have definitely thought about its impact on others -- just saying. CONGRATS!!