# 61 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad you liked it GWTF
best of luck with your midterms!

D
Old 11-17-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hope you get some good shut eye in there, GWTF.

When I was in school, I used to get my entire calendar written down, month to month on paper, lotsa highlighters, all syllabi, exams, papers, everything. Just so I could figure out the times I could chill and sleep and when I had to turn the turbo boosters on full speed. The visual calendar worked really well for me, otherwise I would have slept through pretty much everything. Just like the nightmares.

Best wishes for aces all around!
Old 11-17-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

good morning night owls, 5 AM on east coast of USA, clear sky, moon is following sun so it's dark out there, made a breakfast of ham broccoli and eggs with cran juice and coffee. already walked outside without a shirt to feel the cold... plan to be sitting outside in the dark in one hour or so...
I'm on a mission to stock the freezer

Dee, I never realized you actually eat... I always thought you were just a computer generated moderator
Old 11-17-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Administrator

Definitely not a machine LB

D
Old 11-17-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
Hope you get some good shut eye in there, GWTF.

When I was in school, I used to get my entire calendar written down, month to month on paper, lotsa highlighters, all syllabi, exams, papers, everything. Just so I could figure out the times I could chill and sleep and when I had to turn the turbo boosters on full speed. The visual calendar worked really well for me, otherwise I would have slept through pretty much everything. Just like the nightmares.

Best wishes for aces all around!
I need to better manage my time calendar. I need to do something like this.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
pray for strength

I'm going to dig in my archives, GWTF, and try to post a pic for you. It is an absolute work of art with circles and stars meaning "turn on the turbo boosters" and a straight blue line meaning "do not go out. sleep." Anyone looking over my shoulder would have thought it was off the wall. But if I did not pace myself this way I never would have made it through school. One of my side jobs is to coach young female athletes and this is my first recommendation for maintaining balance in school.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

NightOwl thread?? I'm there!!

Many a night I'm up to all hours, I blame American sport and timezones haha!!

Here's a wee tune:

Old 11-17-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Administrator

nice tune PK

D
Old 11-17-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

9:47 PM working the Graveyard shift. Hello ooooooooh ooooh ohhh ohhh (echo) :-)
Old 11-17-2015, 08:08 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by GoesWithTheFlow View Post
That was a purchasable system in the 70's and 80's. Similar to a specialized Daytimer for students. I used it for a while.

The catch to planning your activities is follow up. You have to have a method of rewarding yourself for following your plan. If it turns into drudgery, it all falls apart.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
now's the time

Well, after working the dawn shift this morning I was exhausted and fell asleep at 5pm. I've done that before, but apparently I'm no longer at the point in early sobriety where I can do that and sleep through til morning. Oops!

On the other hand, that's kind of nice. Sleeping 16 hours at a stretch is really hard to schedule in.

Verte, I love paper calendars. I'm all digital now but my brain does better with paper to do lists and calendars. I've been trying forever to get myself into evernote because it seems like a great system, but it's still index cards all over my desk that works.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:49 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
That was a purchasable system in the 70's and 80's. Similar to a specialized Daytimer for students. I used it for a while.

The catch to planning your activities is follow up. You have to have a method of rewarding yourself for following your plan. If it turns into drudgery, it all falls apart.
I create plans and then don't follow through which makes them worthless. I should continue to try them until I get a system that works for me.

For many years my reward has been drinking. I won't lie: worry has crossed my mind thinking (or avoiding thoughts) of the after midterm exam activities. I hope to maintain a strong mind and avoid my sin city bars. I linger around my sin city because if not traffic is a two hour drive instead of one hour. I may be on here after the exam, will see when the time comes.

I need to find a new reward.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

I create plans and then don't follow through which makes them worthless. I should continue to try them until I get a system that works for me.

For many years my reward has been drinking. I won't lie: worry has crossed my mind thinking (or avoiding thoughts) of the after midterm exam activities. I hope to maintain a strong mind and avoid my sin city bars. I linger around my sin city because if not traffic is a two hour drive instead of one hour. I may be on here after the exam, will see when the time comes.

I need to find a new reward.
to be honest in the early days I'd rather have been two hours in the car than being tempted being in old haunts GWTF

Yeah you do need a new reward - takes a little thought, but I'm sure you can find something healthy and positive

D
Old 11-18-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Well, GWTF, I dug out a planner from way back when but it has all sorts of top secret information written in the margins so here is someone else's photo of my favorite planner (just imagine various highlighter and pen colors) the Quo Vadis 'Monthly 4':

The reason I like this one is because it has ClaireFontaine paper, super smooth, and any pen or pencil glides. It's light and no-frills. The more complex a calendar, the less likely I am to use it. Then I would just pile post it notes one on top of another over the academic month. The planner is substantial enough that I would not just chuck it into the corner with the piles of paper (Are there even piles of paper in school any longer?).

In the back it has the entire year on two pages and that is where I would plot travel, breaks, people coming to town, events, work and anything that would coincide with classes and exams.

fantail, I hear you about the brain doing better with paper and am right there with you. I have to use electronic as well. Evernote? I must look into this!

GWTF, happy studying. Reward for after midterms? Going outside to play for a good, long time. Fresh air. Frolicking. Sounds great.

Thanks for the night owl spot, Dee! Great thinking.
Old 11-18-2015, 12:10 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  
Administrator

no worries Verte - glad you guys think the idea has some legs

D
Old 11-18-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Very nice Verte! Thanks I will look into one of these. I am trying to be digital but sometimes the paper just feels better. The digital is convenient because it can be in your pocket but I am still not to used to the digital calendars.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:09 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

This is my super high tech study materials: clipboard, pencil, pens, and back of print-test paper.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:10 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Woe that was a big image. Sorry, not sure how to resize.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL when it changes the size of the thread around it? then it's big GWTF - that size is fine

D
Old 11-18-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thumbs up

This is my super high tech study materials: clipboard, pencil, pens, and back of print-test paper.
A++ Nice pink and orange highlighter pen.