Notices

Day 1 - Looking for Suggestions

Old 11-14-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 - Looking for Suggestions

I'm not really sure how to start this

I'm a 29 year old male and I've been drinking heavily since I was 19. I quit for almost a year on 1/7/2014. I was doing well until last Thanksgiving when I mistakenly thought I was able to begin drinking normally. I drank heavily for a few weeks and then quit again until this past May.

My wife and I have a beautiful 1 year old son and we recently moved to Seattle for my career. We were lucky enough to move in to a wonderful neighborhood with great neighbors but unfortunately all of my new friends drink regularly (3-4 times per week for the most part). With the exception of one of them, I believe the rest are "normal" drinkers.

To cut to the chase, I've found myself drinking all day most days (I work from home). I've tried to quit many times since May but I've been unable to make it more than 3-4 days - sometimes a week. I decided that I'm done drinking for good a few days ago. I've tried (mostly unsuccessfully) to cut back over the past few days to minimize the risk for health problems.

I'm determined to make this happen.. I haven't drank since waking up today and aside from an elevated resting heart rate and headache I haven't felt too bad.

I want to do it differently this time and I want this to be the last time I have to go through this. What are some things I can do differently this time? I've made a list of all the reasons I want to quit, I'm finally posting on this board after a long time lurking, and I've told my friends that I am going to give up drinking. My wife isn't feeling too confident, rightfully so, but I want to do this for myself and my family.

Any suggestions on other things I can add to my plan would be much appreciated!

Sorry this is so long! Thanks for reading my story
Old 11-14-2015, 08:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The biggest thing for me was just getting really committed. Constantly saying to myself I will not drink.

Come to these boards. Go to AA meetings - find what support you need.

You can do this and most of us can tell you that the drinking only gets worse. For those of us who can't control it there's no going back. But sober is pretty darn cool
Old 11-14-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I post here regular to stay sober, im 29 also. I had to hit rock bottom to finally open my eyes and see how alcohol has badly affected my life. Im glad you are here.

To me it's all about a plan and having support. Look into AA and/or other resources. I make a to-do list and keep myself occupied from reading to going to the gym to stay sober, it might not be the best plan but it's working for me.

Find out what works for you.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for the responses! I like the idea of making a list to keep me busy. I think that and finding a way to control my anxiety will both help to contribute to my success!

Thanks!!
Old 11-14-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, TimeToQuit.

Here are some really good threads to read up on:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html
Old 11-14-2015, 08:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

. . . and this is a really great link:

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

Glad you found us, TimeToQuit.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know the feeling when your girl isn't believing you are going to quit. Many times I said I would quit and didn't, except for one time about 6 months ago. After about 100 days I thought I could drink normal (hahahaha) and that didn't work out. I am about 11 days sober now working on the forever sober binge.

What makes all the difference for me is knowing without any doubt in my heart or mind that I will not drink. Other times I have tried to quit there was doubt. The doubt lead me to failure every time. Right now I don't have that doubt like I didn't 6 months ago and succeeded in my goal.

The way I see it, if I have done it before I can do it again. You have gone a year you can do it again only this time on the forever binge like myself.

Also, I think drinking is a young mans (women) deal. My body aches in so many ways it didn't used to before my 30's (I will be 32 soon). I did my time in the booze very hard but the time has come to move on.

I believe you will quit! You sound like me {even though words off a computer screen don't make a sound}. Congrats on the baby and career move. I want to move to Seattle as well one at least for a few years; lots of accounting and finance work out there.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here & Posting TTQ. You've made a great decision for a better life for you & your family. Just a day at a time, eat well, drink lots of water & rest & remember you are not alone in this.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone! Day 2 has begun wonderfully! I woke up feeling a little better. My heart rate is down a little and my headache is not as bad.

I agree with you GoesWithYheFlow, we do seem similar in our path. Congrats on your sobriety! Also, should you ever decide to make the move out here, feel free to send me a message if you'd like some guidance on finding an area to live!

Now I'm off to make a nice brunch for the family and spend the day playing with our son and watching football. Thanks for all of your support!
Old 11-15-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome
Old 11-16-2015, 01:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum TimeToQuit!!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hey TTQ
Also 29. Been drinking steady for the last 10 years. 20's were a blur so let's make our 30's crystal clear!
Good luck bud
Old 11-16-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome! I have found SR to be a wonderful resource, which is why I logged in this morning. I have struggled as well with quitting. I would stop and then start again. I know the accountability piece is huge for me, so making myself log in here, or journal, and having a plan for the time when I would usually pour a glass of wine.
I am glad you are here, and stopping at 29 is wonderful. Looking forward to following your journey!