Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sorry about the three similar post didn't know how this works. Here's my introduction

Notices

Sorry about the three similar post didn't know how this works. Here's my introduction

Old 11-14-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

sorry about that. I'm not used to Internet stuff. I'm just a drunk :-) I will tell you a little bit about myself though. I'm a 44-year-old female. I knew I was alcoholic at 21 but I kept drinking. I've been enabled my whole life. 2005 I got sober. I'm sure I'll enjoy getting to know you all and learning from you because I have to remember where I came from. I also would like to share my experience strength hope. All I know is that if you've done it I've done it. If you thought it I thought it. I know I'm an alcoholic. I'm a grateful alcoholic. I didn't believe in GodI hated myself and I cursed at the promises I thought they were ridiculous. I learn the principles behind the steps. I practice these principles in all of my affairs. I've gone through all kinds of struggles trying to change the way I feel before and after I quit drinking. It takes the steps meetings prayer and sponsorship to become comfortable in your own skin. When we started drinking that's when we finally felt a part of society. That's when we arrived.but then we started getting in trouble didn't we? Then we started rationalizing because we can't except that we are different from other people? And now here we are together wondering how to help or how can we get help.

Being online here is fine but it's also fine. F insecure neurotic and emotional LOL. You got to get to an actual meeting in my opinion. You got to get a sponsor. You have to read the literature

If you ever say you don't have time to do any of this you need to ask yourself how much time you spent drinking?
Old 11-14-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I removed the other two threads for you

D
Old 11-14-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Step12, you'll find many people here who are sober for long term without AA, me included. I did go to a few meetings - but it isn't the core of my recovery, nor did I have a sponsor or do the steps. Many people on this site did not go to any AA meetings and have long-term recovery.

We don't debate recovery programs in Newcomers, so I'll just say - there is more than one way to skin this cat.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Ok
Old 11-14-2015, 06:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I appreciate your input but the operative word was "my" introduction ����
Old 11-14-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no rules against you sharing your experience or what works for you Step12.

We all share our success stories here in an atmosphere of mutual respect for other methods.

I think that was what Bim was trying to say

D
Old 11-14-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That is an interesting topic you bring up. I usually use phrases like in my opinion, in my experience, simply because there are people who don't go to AA.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

OK thank you so much I did feel a little attacked
Old 11-14-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure that was not the intent

D
Old 11-14-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Being online here is fine but it's also fine. F insecure neurotic and emotional LOL. You got to get to an actual meeting in my opinion. You got to get a sponsor. You have to read the literature

If you ever say you don't have time to do any of this you need to ask yourself how much time you spent drinking?
I'm sorry if you felt I was attacking you. I was reacting to this part of your post. It seems to be telling people what they have to do.

I apologize if that is not what you were saying.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Before I got sober I used to go to AA meetings online only and I was dead drunk every time. I have to be accountable and I had to have someone else to be accountable for me in the beginning. But it doesn't matter what I was saying nobody has to read it this is a thread I believe you do you have to go to meetings to get sober. You believe you dont and this will turn into a debate so I'm gonna drop it.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I will reiterate in my opinion you must go to AA meetings in person not online. That is my opinion I disagree with you and your opinion but we're both sober go figure
Old 11-14-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

The really great thing about SR, in my opinion, is that you learn that there's actually a lot of paths up the mountain, and a multitude of ways that work for a multitude of people.

I've never been to an AA meeting in my life and probably never will - but it clearly helps millions of people and I have no hesitation in suggesting it or any other of the mainstream approaches to recovery

You've stated your opinion very clearly 12Step, and that's great.

I'm sure that people who are interested in your approach will follow you and contact you

D
Old 11-14-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think you're probably take this thread down because I was very upset and reacted.
Old 11-14-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

One thing you help me with I don't need to be online I don't fit in here I need to go to a meeting with my people
Old 11-14-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nah, I/we rarely take threads down.
We're all on the same side here 12step.

'sall good

D
Old 11-14-2015, 06:37 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you change your mind. This is a great little community I think anyone can benefit from.

Enjoy your meeting

D
Old 11-14-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Welcome Step12! And you fit in here as well as any of us do! We all support each other and encourage each other here, regardless of our chosen path of sobriety.
Xo
Old 11-14-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well I found the 12-step area I think I'll fit in there thank you
Old 11-14-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and as you have found our members use a variety of methods to get sober and to recover. I hope you find a place here where you can feel comfortable.