Notices

Scared of rehab and living sober

Old 11-13-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Scared of rehab and living sober

Hi all. I'm back. I went on another bender and have now signed up for going to an inpatient rehab on Monday for 2 weeks. I'm just scared and can't imagine not drinking at all anymore but I can't stop hurting my friends and family with how I am when I drink. It scares me though to be out in the world dating and going out with friends without a drink. I know I have to go but just sad and nervous too. Thoughts? Thanks. Xo
Old 11-13-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There is life after alcohol. You will have to trust me on this. You can't see it now because you are in the grip of alcohol and addiction. Take the drink away and you feel deprived.

My advice, use your inpatient time to address those fears. That is what "rehab" is all about.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think you have made a very brave excellent decision to get help

I was scared too didn't think sobriety would solve anything

As Dee74 sometimes says do you think I'd still be sober if sobriety was a bum deal

Sobriety turned my life around its not perfect nor will it ever be but i feel like the real me again I have gained so much more than I have lost through staying sober

Try not to project the future it hasn't happened and yesterday is gone can't change
it but we can stay sober for today & try our best at our endeavours

Rootin for you LostGirll
Old 11-13-2015, 06:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I myself am more scared of a life drunk as I have lived first-hand where it will take me (rational). As for what the rest of life has to offer sober I have an "I don't know" fear. Not knowing is ok. Injecting doubt (I won't be able to dance, socialize, etc.) is BS and Irrational. Make sense? I have had long stints of sobriety in my past and I did acclimate and succeed. You will too. It takes some effort and some positive self-talk. You Can do it. Too many folks here who have and are doing it.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I remember having the same thoughts. The more sober days, weeks, and months that I put together, I became more grateful for the ability to wake up without a hangover and riddled with guilt and anxiety over what had happened while on my last bender.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

hi kiddo .. oh how we all want to hold you so tight.. you can do this I know .. for so many of us have.. that fear you have is your brain screaming sucker the stuff has you for life and I will make sure its not a happy one.. My hubby is clean for the first time in 6 years off morphine from a Doctor.. we did it at home for a year.. its tough don't think for a second it won't be. but Babe keep looking at yourself in a mirror . see that face really look at it hard. see yourself for the problems that are walking around inside of you.. now mark a note in a book Day 1 2015 what you feel how you look.. do it every day.. and you know what the Beautiful Great Kid you are is going to come out like a butterfly and be the best person in the whole wide world.. you can do this.. and I know with the Grace of the God you hold Dear you will.. love and so many prayers ... an old drinker that does not anymore..ardy
Old 11-13-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Complete abstinence from alcohol is actually much easier and more relaxing than trying hard to moderate, or not binge or whatever. Before I stopped drinking altogether I didn't realise that it would take a huge burden off my shoulders.

Now I still have many life challenges, but I don't have that to worry about any more.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had the exact same fears. I spent 21 of my 39 years drinking heavily and every day. That's all I knew.

Lostgirll it will be the best decision you could make. Like others have said, it takes work and effort, but as time goes on it gets so much easier and more gratifying. You'll get to the point that your life is no longer ruled by alcohol. You will be able to go places, do things, have fun and really be able to enjoy life again. I know that is hard for you to see right now. I was exactly where you are at now. If you can break the cycle and give sobriety time, your life will open up.

Trust me, put in the effort and you won't regret the decision.

That's a brave decision you are making on rehab. Way to go, we are in your corner!
Old 11-13-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was scared to go to rehab too. I applaud you for making this brave decision to get help. As FeelingGreat said, leaving alcohol completely out of your life is so much more relaxing than dealing with the craziness that comes with trying to cope with life drinking.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody

These all just make cry right now. Lol it's just pretty overwhelming. Thanks for all the support though!
Old 11-13-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

As others have said, it will seem easier than going through the binges and emotional toll that drinking is taking on you. I hope your rehab goes well and that you keep in contact with us.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberclover View Post
I remember having the same thoughts. The more sober days, weeks, and months that I put together, I became more grateful for the ability to wake up without a hangover and riddled with guilt and anxiety over what had happened while on my last bender.
Very true. Hate that feeling. I'm just even stressed about being cut off the world while I'm gone. I've been looking for a new job and won't even be able to respond? And just in general I'm attached to my phone but guess that won't be so bad.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Shame and guilt got me to stop drinking a few times, The problem for me was with a little time passed, I would forget - or better yet - test the waters again. I'd drink, maybe even a little less at first and be on my very best behavior. Then, like Cinderella the carriage would turn into a pumpkin, I lose a shoe - or two - and see mice running around!

We read of acceptance a lot here. That is because it's the mental part - the from the heart part - of where the sober journey begins. Without it, we simply keep repeating the same behavior.

You can save yourself years of grief and misery if you find your way to acceptance of the problem. the circumstances and the solution.

Glad you're here posting
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

AAh ....phone-separation-anxiety...we've identified the fear. My daughter gets this every time she sasses us or does something worthy of losing it. The only real downside is she looks at us when we speak, cleans her room, engages with her sisters and reads more paper-bound materials (like whole books) ...oh and she acts right because she wants it back. Holler back in 2+ weeks and I would put money on your posts being more positive. Peace.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I agree with Carl, when you get into that treatment center for two weeks, pretend you are a sponge and absorb as much knowledge and accumulate as many tools as you can. Then do your darnedest to apply them when you are released back into the wild.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So I'm still not drinking since Wednesday so there's that people I know that have gone to this rehab have said that a lot of people are court mandated so that they don't really care about getting treatment and are getting high there so I'm a little concerned about that but as long as they have good counselors I think it should be fine. I don't so drugs so I'm not concerned about that part. I'm just also worried about getting $$ situated since I'm currently unemployed and only get unemployment which is not much and this puts my job search on hold. I guess it's only 2 weeks but I just got 2 potential leads that I won't be able to follow up with. I hate the timing but I guess the timings never that great. One more day and then I go though!
Old 11-14-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I did 35 days of inpatient rehab and it was like summer camp for adults. I enjoyed every minute to be honest. I got to live in bubble without anything to worry about except my health. Met some great peopke with the same struggles. You will come out a bettet person!
Old 11-14-2015, 05:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
The hoop you have to jump through is a lot wider than you think!

There's a new and better way of life out there. After a while if you follow the program you won't want to drink anymore because you'll know what you loose. It's so important that you go through the steps though. Step one through three is fairly easy but when you get to the fourth step that's when it starts to really get down and dirty please make it at least to the fourth step one day at a time then go from there. You can do this but you have to fake it till you make it if that's how you're feeling
Old 11-14-2015, 06:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I did 35 days of inpatient rehab and it was like summer camp for adults. I enjoyed every minute to be honest. I got to live in bubble without anything to worry about except my health. Met some great peopke with the same struggles. You will come out a bettet person!
My friend just said the same summer camp thing lol like vacation from life. Thanks
Old 11-14-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Step12 View Post
There's a new and better way of life out there. After a while if you follow the program you won't want to drink anymore because you'll know what you loose. It's so important that you go through the steps though. Step one through three is fairly easy but when you get to the fourth step that's when it starts to really get down and dirty please make it at least to the fourth step one day at a time then go from there. You can do this but you have to fake it till you make it if that's how you're feeling
Can't wait for that life. Not liking this one much at all right now. Hopefully they'll help me sort out all my issues. Like why I'm upset about a guy that lied and cheated and then turns around and wants to hang up when I call him because he's mad about something I did. Why do I care?? This thing would normally make me want to drink but I'm still not so that's good. Smoking cigs like crazy even though I don't really smoke though 😝