Notices

I need to stop before I get sick.

Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need to stop before I get sick.

I have been drinking daily for about 15 years. The longest I've gone without drinking in the last decade is 3 days. It was during a short lived attempt last winter. I went to a stress care therapist but I didn't quit. I am not going to drink today and instead will go out to dinner with my family to get out of the routine of drinking at home. I am scared to go to the doctor to find out what kind of damage I've done to my body. At this point my main motivation for drinking has been to numb my physical pain but the pain is getting worse and turning into depression. I hope to feel better tomorrow and then keep it rolling with avoiding alcohol. I don't have any in the house so I'll make it through today. Coming here and posting is a big step for me since I am ashamed to be here.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome and don't be ashamed. We've all been on your shoes.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please don't be ashamed, nightswimming; coming here, registering, and posting were very courageous steps. You are venturing into a better way to live; be proud of yourself.

Welcome to SR; glad you found us.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Nightswimming. It's wonderful to have you join us. You're in good company.

I drank almost 30 years, so you're doing far better than me by admitting you need to stop. I made excuses and justified it until it almost took my life. This won't be you. Good to meet you.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome. You can do this. Do you have a recovery plan?
Old 11-12-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome nightswimming

You'll find a lot of care and support here - you're not alone

D
Old 11-12-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nightswimming, I totally had the same thoughts as you. My advice is to focus on getting yourself sober. Once that begins happening, you can make better decisions about everything else with a clear mind. It's worth a trip to your DR to help you through detox options.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, you came to the right place.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sg1970 View Post
Welcome. You can do this. Do you have a recovery plan?
I plan to not drink for 21 days to see how I feel. My biggest problem is that my feet hurt all the time and the alcohol numbs them (even though they are painfully numb otherwise). I usually drink a pint of Vodka and six pack of beer after work. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. I drink from 5pm to 9pm then go to sleep and according to my wife am very hard to wake up. I've been doing that nearly half of my life. I rarely ever feel drunk due to my tolerance. Who would want to live that way? I don't want to any more.

Since I've been drinking by myself for so long, I am a bit confused about what I'll do with myself. Sitting around is kinda boring without a drink by my side. I keep a calender of my drinking habits to try to keep them under "control". Really I think I'm just fooling myself. Thanks for listening and support on a day without alcohol.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't be afraid to see a dr. if things get rough. Everyone is different but with even 10 yrs non-stop drinking it is generally considered dangerous to go cold turkey for a variety of reasons. Keep an eye on your blood pressure at least and best wishes. It's totally worth it.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here's a good link, nightswimming:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 11-12-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jd1639 View Post
Welcome and don't be ashamed. We've all been on your shoes.
Jd makes a very good point in my opinion.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, nightswimming!
Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Nightswimming. This community has helped a lot of people turn their lives around. Don't be ashamed for trying to get yourself better. Trust me, you won't regret your decision to get sober.

Welcome aboard.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Nightswimming, welcome.

Take a deep breath and just get through today/tonight without a drink. You can work on tomorrow when tomorrow comes. Making goals like "I'll try for 3 weeks and see how it goes after that" is all well and good, but we are not your professors. We're not going to give you an "A" for saying all the right things to make us happy. We are simply here to support you, man. We've all been there.

I drank for 15 years every night, first beer then vodka, you know the drill. Drank alone on the couch every night after I got too old to go bar hopping. Quit 3 years ago and it's a real challenge. Don't make too many promises right now, because 3 weeks is going to seem overwhelming by 10am tomorrow. Just stay sober tonight, and you've done good.

Check in tomorrow. And be careful. I had withdrawal seizures and eventually needed detox. If you start feeling woozy or confused, go to the doc or the ER. It's really no joke how bad this stuff can mess you up. Be safe, buddy! Welcome!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Nightswimming!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post

I drank for 15 years every night, first beer then vodka, you know the drill. Drank alone on the couch every night after I got too old to go bar hopping. Quit 3 years ago and it's a real challenge. Don't make too many promises right now, because 3 weeks is going to seem overwhelming by 10am tomorrow. Just stay sober tonight, and you've done good.

Check in tomorrow. And be careful. I had withdrawal seizures and eventually needed detox. If you start feeling woozy or confused, go to the doc or the ER. It's really no joke how bad this stuff can mess you up. Be safe, buddy! Welcome!
Be very careful like bigsombrero says. One of my friends drank a handle of vodka a day and was trying to go a weekend without drinking in front of her family. By the afternoon of the day one she collapsed with withdrawal seizures and her family took her to hospital.

Doctor told her she needed to keep drinking a little in order not to die and take some meds. Be safe!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nightswimming, congrats on going for day 1! You can do it. You just described my drinking habits almost exactly. I have been beating on my liver for 15 years, afraid and ashamed of what I have done to my body. I decided to finally get sober, and haven't had a drink in 26 days. It ain't easy, especially those first couple of weekends, but you gotta stay in there. Pick up an alternative drink, I like the San Pellegrino sparking juice beverages. Grab a book, I read "Rewired" by Erica Spiegelman, it's a must. Also, join the November 2015 Class, I'm in the October class, so much help out there, and the cool thing is, no one here will judge you because we have all been there, hang in there brotha, and check back tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Good luck and there is absolutely no shame for coming here, be proud that you are going to make a positive change in your life.

That said I echo what others have said, be careful. Do you have someone with you during your detox? Things can go from okay to bad to worse real fast. I know I woke up I the ER after my wife took me after my last binge. I don't know what I would have done without her or the ER. Do not be ashamed to ask for help that is what the professionals are there for.
Old 11-13-2015, 12:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello & Welcome Night swimming

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html