Notices

Hi Guys

Old 11-12-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Hi Guys

Slightly worried about the holidays, but am staying positive. Anyone else worried about Thanksgiving and Christmas?
Oh, I have rejoined as Quirky, I used to be Ringthedoorbell. I hope that is ok with the Mods., I couldn't figure out how else to change my name! I am not computer savvy to say the very least. I apologize in advance if I have done anything wrong.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Slightly to my surprise I'm really looking forward to an alcohol free Christmas. All those years where the holidays became about excessive drinking seemed to take away what made them special when I was a kid. I've got two young daughters now and the idea of watching all those Christmas films, and enjoying the build up with them while sober and fully present, in the moment, is something I feel kind of excited about.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Quirky! It's great that you're thinking now about how to handle the holidays. It's a tough time but really doable. I quit before Christmas. Made it through by having clear plans in my head, avoiding situations where alcohol would be served and if I was where alcohol would be around, bringing my own beverages.

You can do it. There will also be support threads here to help get people through, safe and sober.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Quirky, you are so not alone in this.

Last year was a series of mini-missions with the clear objective of remaining alcohol-free and getting through better than 'just barely' or squeaking by.

Most important for me was to stay plugged into SR. Do you have the phone app available? The app on my phone kept my hands and mind occupied when I found the need to check out of festivities and check into support and fortifying.

Humor is really important for my holiday enjoyment as well. Seek and find all-things-funny to elevate the experience.

Always have an exit strategy. In my experience, feeling like a caged or cornered animal is just disaster any day of the week but especially for the Holidays.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm a bit concerned as well. I quit last Jan 1. I do feel like I was "tested" this year (camping, football games, summer parties) alcohol is all over the place. My family knows I'm not drinking and they do a good job keeping it away from me. I'll be hanging with the kids if any serious drinking is happening.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Quirky Dee74 kindly made this awesome link check it out bud

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html
Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Thanks for the suggestions guys.. Lots of good ideas. I love SR!
Thanks Soberwolf; I'll check it out.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Slightly worried about the holidays, but am staying positive. Anyone else worried about Thanksgiving and Christmas?
Oh, I have rejoined as Quirky, I used to be Ringthedoorbell. I hope that is ok with the Mods., I couldn't figure out how else to change my name! I am not computer savvy to say the very least. I apologize in advance if I have done anything wrong.
Hi Quirky

just so you and others know - it's really easiest if you let us know before you change your name.

That way we know whats going on, we know noones accessing your account illegally or that there's nothing shifty going on.

We can even attribute your old posts to the new name

D
Old 11-12-2015, 02:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

as far as Thanksgiving and Xmas goes - some great ideas here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html

D
Old 11-12-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Hi Dee,
Scott told me that earlier and Anna has sorted it all out for me. I'm sorry for causing needless work for Anna.
SR means everything to me, and I so appreciate the hard work you Mods do.
I apologize.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So Quirky, last holiday season was absolute hell for me. It was when my drinking was completely out of control. Fast forward to this year...I had no idea that I would be giving myself a Christmas present - one year sober as of 12/26. I'm really excited, like a boy waiting for Santa.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

On the Road... WOW!! Congratulations! I know you must be so proud of yourself, and rightly so. Keep up the good work.
I will have 200 days on Christmas Day! (Geez....hope I'm not jinxing myself. ;-)
Old 11-12-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks! So it looks like you'll be giving yourself a nice present, too. I hope that helps you through The Season!
Old 11-12-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Quirky View Post
Hi Quirky, glad to see you back. To answer your question, hell yes, is my answer. We could give in and wallow through another holiday season being drunk, or keep a stiff upper lip and explore new territory. I'm going to give all I have. I hope you do too. I'm pretty sure it can be done. Many people on this website have done it, why can't we do it?
Old 11-12-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

Thomas11,
I like your attitude! Yes, we can and will do do it!
Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
quat

Damn skippy ,You Can Do It!!

Btw love the new name, 'Q' words are awesome