Notices

Rehab?

Old 11-12-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rehab?

I have been having a really hard time staying sober this time around. It has gotten to the point that friends and family have commented on my alcoholism.

The worse part about all of this is that I am a substance abuse counselor and I feel like I need professional help. Please don't bash me for being a hypocrite... Not that it's an excuse but I am really good at helping people get and stay sober, just not myself.

Often times I wish I had a counselor I could talk too like my clients talk to me. My husband is against it he doesn't understand that I just can't stop; Otherwise I would have already right?

I am also concerned with losing my job and confidentiality. I am also worried about losing my license. Perhaps I deserve it. If I take the time off of work to go to treatment, I'll have to explain why to our leave dept.

I guess I am just hoping for some advice from you good folks. I'm tired of day one's.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think if you've been struggling this long with attaining sobriety, without rehab, then rehab makes great sense. Any excuses to not go can probably be laid at the feet of your addiction, who doesn't want you to quit.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

youre not a hypocrite. many of us were/are excellent at helping others but not at helping ourselves.
were arent dumb people. just sick.

my advise? dont let anyone Who is against you getting help in any form stop you from getting the help you deserve.
you dont deserve to lose your license.
i have met quite a few people jn recovery who are also counselors. who better to help an alcoholic/addict than someone whos been there?

get the help ya deserve, get mentally and emotiomally healthy, and youll be a top notch counselor and help many.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Doctors get sick. Mechanics cars break down. Police break the law. No shame at all in admitting that you are an alcoholic as a counselor. You mention that you wish you could speak to a counselor yourself...what's stopping you? It's confidential and could be of great benefit. There are a lot of things you could do without going full bore into inpatient rehab, you probalby are aware of many through your job. Accept the help that is available to you..you'll be very glad you did!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Formerly Ringthedoorbell

It's tough, but you can do what you put your mind to. Hang in there.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's okay there are all sorts of professional people in the Fellowship it doesn't discriminate don't let fear paralyze you you've identified what you're afraid of now walk through it do you know how many people you're going to be able to help when I had counselors who went to college and read out of books I would look at them and say you don't know what it's like to live in a dumpster you don't know what it's like to steal from your family members and hurt everyone never loved you get away from me you'll be one of those counselors who can say I know how you feel and more people will open up be honest with you and you can save a lot of people's lives first save your own life it's nothing to be ashamed of we all have a journey there's no destination so I have faith you can walk through this fear and overcome this
Old 11-12-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Alcohol doesn't discriminate NewHope I think rehab is a great idea so many ppl could save thier lives like both my sisters did

You always have our support 5000% bud
Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Actually an alcohol counsellor who is a recovering alcoholic would be the best qualified sort of counsellor imo. Alcoholism is hard to understand if you are not one yourself

Stay close to SR NewHope and post any time you feel like picking up a drink - we know how it is here
Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're tried everything else and all else has failed then why not try rehab newhope?

D
Old 11-12-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree, I've been to meetings before where I'm pretty convinced the leader has never had a problem whereas other meetings with leaders who were open about their addictions were far more appealing. I knew they totally understood rather than repeating a text book
Old 11-12-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

You have to do what you have to do.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry you're going through this NewHope, and I hope that you find a way to deal with your alcoholism. The sad thing (I'm sure you know) is that it will progressively worsen, unless you take action.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Maybe a phone call here could help address some of your concerns:

Addiction Treatment | Doctors, Nurses & Medical Professionals
Old 11-12-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

What would you tell a client to do in your situation?
Old 11-12-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Newhope. I have been to rehab and a few of the counselors there were recovering alcoholics/addicts. They were all great and so understanding since they were also in recovery. I agree with what Saoutchik said. As far as having to tell your employer, I don't think you would be required to tell your leave department the reason for taking a medical leave. I know I wasn't required to and my job was also protected under FMLA. Maybe rehab is just the thing that could help you quit for good.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think the only hypocrisy would be if you denied yourself the same help you give to your clients. It takes courage to ask for help. Haven't you told your clients the same thing?

Time to woman-up and take care of business. You can do it. And the only people I've ever seen lose their license because of addiction are those who commit serious errors because of their addiction--showing up to work impaired, stealing drugs, stealing from their employer, lying to cover up their misdeeds, etc. Address this now, before it escalates to that point, and you will keep your license and be a much more effective counselor. I suspect you're underestimating your employer's willingness to accommodate your recovery.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

My employer requires their employees to be drug free, and if in recovery, sober for at least (2) years. Not sure if Id lose my license.. I should check it out with my certifying body.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I am really good at helping people get and stay sober, just not myself.

If you go to rehab and get sober you will be an even better counselor than you are now, you will have a level of personal experience that clients will find authentic.

I have a fancy job title and 3 graduate degrees which contributed to my denial that I had a problem. After all, how could I be a drunk and be so successful in my job. Nah, I don't really have a problem.

Eventually I ended up doing a 3 day medical detox back in 2009 at the prompting of my wife. I was having trouble staying sober for more than a few days at a time, and due to physical withdrawal I was starting to drink beer in the morning to stop the shakes and anxiety. My self esteem was in the toilet, and I just couldn't stay sober, long term.

In my brief hospital stay, the kind doctor that treated me, confided to me that he was an AA member himself. Wow! That was a very powerful message for me to hear and I'm forever grateful to him for sharing that. It really helped break through my own denial.

You might be able to impact somebody like me, in the future with your story.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Ah yes, the old "alcohol rehab will ruin my reputation" two-step. It's a nice little dance that our addicted brain likes to do when it's feeling cornered.

I had the same argument 3 years ago. Finally went after things got so bad that my career and prospects were already damaged by my drinking! Go now, before it's too late. It will show huge commitment and foresight on your part. Oh yeah, and you might just get sober. Worked for me, and if you can start the process of making calls and looking around I think that would be a great start.

Good luck. Go.
Old 11-12-2015, 09:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
...The worse part about all of this is that I am a substance abuse counselor and I feel like I need professional help. Please don't bash me for being a hypocrite... Not that it's an excuse but I am really good at helping people get and stay sober, just not myself...
Hi - I've stopped being surprised at how many medical professionals (nurses; doctors; surgeons; and yes - therapists) I get to know in the AA rooms. Along with all the teachers; lecturers; housewives; grandmothers; lorry drivers; mechanics; electricians; etc. etc.

There is NO profession that we can join and be resistant to alcoholism or addiction. It does not discriminate. And knowledge actually avails us nothing. As does will power in my opinion. Honesty; Willingness; and Acceptance are what keep me sober today.

You are very clear about all the things that alcohol could take from you if you allow it's progressive nature to make your life much more unmanageable. No doubt in your work you have met a large number of people who have themselves lost those things. I suspect people finding out that you have experienced the problem, and worked through it first hand is much, much less likely to affect your career negatively than allowing your alcoholism to progress would eventually do.

You say 'My employer requires their employees to be drug free, and if in recovery, sober for at least (2) years. Not sure if Id lose my license.. I should check it out with my certifying body.' If this does turn out to be the case, what then? Just carry on fuelling your addiction and let the lie get bigger and bigger until the s**t hits the fan?

PS I see from some of your former threads that you have in the past gone to AA meetings. Can I ask, did you go as far as getting a sponsor and working through the steps? The meetings aren't the AA program. The steps are the program, and it's when people work them that they start actually recovering and those AA promises actually start to come true. Also, it is a daily program. Even if not going to meetings every day, it works best when some prayer / meditation is done every day. And continues. As you know - alcoholism doesn't ever go away, so we cannot just consider ourselves 'recovered now'. Sobriety is a daily reprieve.