Notices

Naltrexone side effects

Old 11-12-2015, 03:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Naltrexone side effects

Pretty much all of the stated side effects the accompanying literature stated on first dose of 50mg. Like an opiate "high" without the pleasure (nausea, dizziness, fatigue etc). Anyone else experience this and did it wane with time/ more use? Heck, driving etc could be problematic with this stuff!
Old 11-12-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i used a pack of naltrexone and i give alcohol up. then my doctod prescribed 4 packs more but it was enough for me to use a pack.

side effects last only a week.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Zom I have no direct experience with this I've spoken on local radio about it when it first started coming around although it was a diffrent name il try & find the link ...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...dio-today.html

My view on it in the beginning was if it can help to achieve sobriety then surely it's a good thing

But my thought about view on it is that there are no guarantees with it its meant to used in conjunction with therapy so my honest answer is I don't think a pill will ever cure alcoholism however if it helps ppl to go therapy & tackle thier alcoholism then I'm for that

I think I'm 50/50 on this lol
Old 11-12-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used naltrexone in a limited way. The first few days I had insomnia and felt spaced out. That got better. I started taking it when I had a slip at about 7 months sober related to a recurrence of PTSD symptoms. After the first week, I took it in a different way that has apparently made a difference in my cravings (whether psychological or physical I don't know). I personally am grateful that I was already well on my way when I started using this as a way to reduce my stress about relapsing. I doubt that naltrexone would have been enough by itself. I've only used 12 tablets and haven't needed any for the past month.
Old 11-12-2015, 02:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Didn't you speak about Selincro (Nalmefene) SW?

I think that's a similar, but different, drug?

D
Old 11-12-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I thought its the same thing sorry if I have that wrong guys
Old 11-12-2015, 06:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes, Dee, you've got that right. Both naltrexone and nalmefene (Selincro) have similar actions but nalmefene is newer.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well...the side effects did subside somewhat on day 2 and the results are positive. Been using pharmacology all wrong for years. 'Tis nice to see where a little research and trust in the medical establishment can lead....This might just work. Thanks for all the replies. I would prefer to hear from those who have actually ingested said pill for alcoholism tho.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have been taking Naltrexone for a few months and for the first 2-3 months it helped a lot with the cravings. I take one pill every day. Now I am in my 4th or 5th month and it is not working nearly as well. I never had any side effects from it.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I started taking naltrexone in March and will have six months of sobriety on the 27th. It has been very helpful in my recovery but I did have mild side-effects; they reminded me of having a slight hangover-fuzzy in the brain and a little nauseous but these went away after about a week. To me naltrexone is a drug which worked and I'm talking with my doctor about discontinuing it. With proper support and a real desire to stop drinking i think this could be a very valuable tool for many who are suffering.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

On a side note, there doesn't seem to be much agreement on how many people can benefit from naltrexone. One MD addiction researcher said 80% but the MD who was in charge of the addiction program I attended, said only 1 out of every 7 people will be helped by it.
Old 11-14-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I researched it well and came up with the same mixed bag of results. Much like trying on celexa, zoloft or prozac to see which is the better fit for other disorders. Given what I knew about THIQ from the 90's and this drug being namely an opiate antagonist I chose it (also it was readily available and cheap). Thanks again for all replies.