Notices

looking for stories

Old 11-11-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

looking for stories

I know no one here is a doctor, and this isn't me asking for medical advice, but I would like to know others' experiences with abdominal pain after quitting drinking.

I am nervous about my right abdominal pain - I've been sober for two weeks, after drinking four nights before that, and had about three weeks sober before that (at that point I was just taking a "break" and just this last time have decided to be completely sober. I've abused alcohol on and off - like weekend binge drinker then taking "detox breaks" for more than a decade.

I have a doctor appointment to check everything out on the 23rd of November, but that's almost two weeks away! What I'm looking for is stories of anyone else who suffered/is suffering from this type of thing and how they're coping, or how it turned out. It would be helpful while I wait for my dr. appointment. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Right side under the ribs. I went to the dr. They said my gall bladder was affected from drinking. They were going to remove it. Never had it removed, no more pain.

Jennifer
Old 11-11-2015, 10:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had similar pain. Went to the Dr. She ordered liver ultrasound. Findings: completely normal liver!!! Even the Dr. was surprised. GO TO THE DR.!
Old 11-11-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope it goes well on the 23rd
Old 11-12-2015, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Girlie928 View Post
I had similar pain. Went to the Dr. She ordered liver ultrasound. Findings: completely normal liver!!! Even the Dr. was surprised. GO TO THE DR.!
As mentioned in original post, I already have a visit scheduled and am just looking for stories to ease the waiting time.

thanks for everyone's input. I am hoping everything turns out ok with blood work and whatever imaging they decide to do.
Old 11-12-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good for you on getting a DR appointment. You know this is the only way to figure your pain out. Bottom line is drinking definitely won't help anything. Keep on your path of staying sober.

Years back I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver Disease, had extremely high colesteral, was on blood pressure medicine and was extremely out of shape. After about 6 months of quitting drinking; after 21 years of heavy daily drinking; everything got better and was confirmed by clean blood work.

It all starts by not drinking.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I had right side rib pain after my final binge. It was on and off for about a month.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hmmm - not sure how dwelling on something you have no control over is going to 'ease the waiting time'. There are so many things people could have had (or not had) that cause a similar pain in a similar area, that really all the information about their experiences is going to do is fuel your imagination / projection.

It might do your anxiety some good to focus on things that you can change and would benefit your sobriety rather than allow yourself to pursue these thoughts. Alcoholics fuelling their obsessions generally doesn't make for comfortable recovery.

How's your sobriety plan shaping up? Perhaps you could spend the mental energy on that instead. Or call some friends who make you smile up for a chat and arrange to meet up. Or go for a swim, or a massage (if you can stretch to it).
Old 11-12-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welp, not abdominal pain, but im playing the waiting game. i have an MRI and CT monday the 16th to see if theres any activity with the cancer i have. this ha been my first full year since being diagnosed without any tests!!!
and im a lil squirrely. i get squirrely about 2 weeks before tests every time.
the "what ifs" start. and whats screwed up i go to the negative "what ifs."
it takes someone else pullin my head outta my butt and get me lookin at the positive "what ifs."
even if the results are negative, ill do what my oncologist says.
until then, im staying busy. i think about things im greatful for.i get out of myself and do things for others. i talk to acouple people daily and keep it in Gods hands the best i can.
worrying is like rockin in a rocking chair-its something to do but doesnt get me anywhere.

get out and enjoy life!
Old 11-12-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I found that just about everything that was ailing me cleared up in the first 3 months of sobriety.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Hmmm - not sure how dwelling on something you have no control over is going to 'ease the waiting time'. There are so many things people could have had (or not had) that cause a similar pain in a similar area, that really all the information about their experiences is going to do is fuel your imagination / projection.

It might do your anxiety some good to focus on things that you can change and would benefit your sobriety rather than allow yourself to pursue these thoughts. Alcoholics fuelling their obsessions generally doesn't make for comfortable recovery.

How's your sobriety plan shaping up? Perhaps you could spend the mental energy on that instead. Or call some friends who make you smile up for a chat and arrange to meet up. Or go for a swim, or a massage (if you can stretch to it).
Whether it's been concern about hpv, hearing other friends' fertility stories or just hearing generally other people's health stories, I generally feel comforted by knowing what others have experienced in similar settings as me, and it comforts me to know what I'm going through isn't abnormal. Usually when I ask questions of this nature, it's not coming from an obsessive place but a place of desire to know possibilities - I am in the health industry getting a master's in acupuncture, and while I can read a ton of literature to prepare me for outcomes, but hearing from other alcoholics about this issue rather than suppress my inquiry is what I have chosen to do. I appreciate all your suggestions too, they're really good - massage, check (I'm a licensed massage therapist so trade with buddies often, and am an acupuncture student so also trade in that department, I've been to yoga this week as well) but I find when people bypass the question at hand to offer tons of unsolicited advice it doesn't really make the person asking the question feel that great. Especially when this is a pretty innocuous question.
Old 11-12-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

And thanks everyone for your stories - yes I'm "squirrelly" of course ... From working with my clients - mostly elderly - I know it's common - and I am trying to keep busy with yoga, work and school but it really does help to hear that other have been through this.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bodymindheart View Post
Whether it's been concern about hpv, hearing other friends' fertility stories or just hearing generally other people's health stories, I generally feel comforted by knowing what others have experienced in similar settings as me, and it comforts me to know what I'm going through isn't abnormal. Usually when I ask questions of this nature, it's not coming from an obsessive place but a place of desire to know possibilities - I am in the health industry getting a master's in acupuncture, and while I can read a ton of literature to prepare me for outcomes, but hearing from other alcoholics about this issue rather than suppress my inquiry is what I have chosen to do. I appreciate all your suggestions too, they're really good - massage, check (I'm a licensed massage therapist so trade with buddies often, and am an acupuncture student so also trade in that department, I've been to yoga this week as well) but I find when people bypass the question at hand to offer tons of unsolicited advice it doesn't really make the person asking the question feel that great. Especially when this is a pretty innocuous question.
Fair enough - sorry if my 'ton of unsolicited advice' made you feel less than great. It certainly wasn't my intention.

Good luck with your Docs appointment when it rolls around.