Notices

My first week sober.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first week sober.

Hi, I am 46 years old and have been drinking heavily for at least the last twenty years. I have now been sober for 6 days. It has been really hard work, with no help, and today I nearly broke. I would really appreciate some advice or a nudge in the right direction. Any comments would be great.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Albadge
Old 11-10-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, albadge, and congratulations on six sober days.

Have a look around the site; take special note of the Stickies at the top of each forum; there's so much good information in them.

I'll post you some really good links in a minute.

Many people find it beneficial to read, post, and reply here at SR frequently.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I find that reading around and posting often on SoberRecovery help me to stay sober. I also go to AA meetings as a sober social activity.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ependence.html

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

Last edited by Dee74; 11-10-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Aside what others will offer, I will add this: Don't get discouraged. Don't miss it - going back to drinking only makes things worse. Understand that some changes need to be made including; where you go, who you hang out with, and what you do for fun. For me, after so many years of associating EVERYTHING with alcohol, it took a lot of soul searching. Reading a lot on this forum helped me as I shaped my expectations of what life will be like without drinking. Know that it will be different. Know that others may view you as an "outsider" now that you do not drink. And more...

But, stick with it. And eventually you will be able to find yourself, and the things that please you. I have discovered there are things I didn't do while I was drinking that I find enjoyable now. Something as simple as a walk in the woods and being able to experience life through sober eyes and mind. There is a whole world out there waiting to be discovered. I missed a lot of it because I was drinking and didn't care about much else.

And secondly (yeah that was one above), don't expect it to happen over night. It is not an instant revelation we experience. In the beginning it is trying to our psyche.
Do not expect instant gratification, it takes work and adjustment. You are going to become a 'new' person. But you are also going to go through periods of doubt as your brain and body become acclimated and starts fixing itself. Don't be impatient, it does get better with time. And just as that alcohol issue got progressively worse, the longer you abstain and work on it, improvements in your life will get progressively better. Trust that it will.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Albadge... And congratulations on 6 days. No small feat. SR is chock full of wonderful people who really understand, and information on the tools, plans, experiences that have literally worked for them. Sober leith posted just a few of the great "sticky" links available.

I am still less than a month sober. I did nothing but read on SR for several days before joining the site. I found so many many people in those days that I could thoroughly relate to. Since then I have made extensive use of the SR stickies and the forums to
- build a sober plan,
- keep my plan and my life in view of people who support me,
- get help when I am struggling, and
- celebrate when I overcome things

So... From one new member to another...
Welcome, use what helps, skip what doesn't, take charge of a plan for yourself. I can already promise you will be so glad you did.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Albadge!! Keep popping in and read lots here on SR and keep posting - in time, it gets easier, for sure.

Dropping to your knees and asking your higher power / God / whomever to take away all cravings and obsessions is a great thing to try - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Old 11-10-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Lots of good advice to start with. Learn as much as you can and apply to your sobriety.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome albadge - you'll find solid support and some great ideas here

Why not check out our Class of November support thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...2015-a-15.html

If you like it, just jump right in
Old 11-10-2015, 02:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm glad you found us Albadge, this place is amazingly supportive. 6 days is great, keep going!
Old 11-10-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, Albadge. Be proud of yourself for taking this huge step towards a better life. 6 days is wonderful - but it's early yet - things will improve and get much easier. Stay with us and talk things over - we care.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My comment would be good job. Twenty years is a good career, time to put a cork in it I would say. Very glad to hear you didn't suffer too badly with withdrawal or any health complications.
Old 11-10-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just to second what others said - you've already taken the biggest step in the right direction! Stay with it!
Old 11-10-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Think about it, 20 years...this will be the most challenging and most rewarding thing you accomplish. Listen to the prior recommendations and have a solid plan and come here frequently. Be prepared for good days and horrible days in this fight. Great job on the 6 days without help! It sounds like you really want this, and with an all-out effort you can do this!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Very humbled

Thank you to everyone that replied to my first ever post. I thought maybe a couple of people would have viewed it, but to get so many lovely, positive responses is so humbling.

Thank you all once again.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:29 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Remarkable, good for you on close to a week!!!

My experience is I needed to be around other (sober) drunks, so I went (go) to meetings. Within a month or so after I stopped I found SR and post here, alot!

I read this today and I thinks it's good advice to newcomers who think if they are bothering others in meetings or by posting here -

"Let us not be afraid of unsettling or boring our comrades by talking about our reactions to whatever is bothering us at a given moment; for this is how we learn to live" AA grapevine quote of the day 11/11

Keep posting and keep coming back!
Old 11-11-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Albadge, Welcome! Rest assured you will find support here. Keep sharing, keep reading, and keep posting. When you feel weak, post. When you feel excited about Day 6, 7 or even a close call, post. We'll be here and you won't be alone.
Old 11-11-2015, 08:09 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Dear Albadge. I am with you. I am alone. But this site is a commitment to me taking care of me. I try to write everyday no matter how I feel about myself. It has been eyeopening. I expect to go to "those" meetings one day...You seem like you would be open to the personal support.

Are you going to try? Please let me know