Notices

Scared

Old 11-10-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Shelbygirl328 View Post
It seems so crazy but for some reason I feel really scared when I think about quitting drinking forever. I should be scared to continue.

Wish I knew what this fear was, I should be happy that I have made a choice to try to stop something that is harming me.
All I feel is fear and I feel overwhelmed when I think about the future.
I see posts from people who have achieved sober time and they all say it is wonderful! I need to focus on that instead of thinking I am losing something. I will be gaining something right??
You are gaining more than you will ever imagine. You are "losing" slavery. Losing your chains. You have been addicted to something which, in your case, is a poisonous depressant and which has taken over your mind and body. Don't ever give up. It gets better and better. Seems hard at first but I guarantee it gets better and better. Don't think of the future. One day at a time. One hour at a time. One minute. Whatever it takes. I've been there. Right where you are. And I took that first drink and it started all over again. The nightmare. Believe!Believe! It's going to happen. Get support from others who are beginning and continuing with recovery. There is nothing more powerful than the power of the group. Do it together where you are and on this website. You're on the way now. Every good wish.

W.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:08 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hi Shelby .

Alcoholism has many symptoms and ''Fear '' is only one of them fear real or imaginary ,fear of the unknown is like paranoia all the '' what ifs '' you say you have an alcohol problem if you are anything like me I experienced ,sweats, shakes, blackouts , became liar' cheat, thief , untrustworthy ,unreliable , unemployable , unfaithful , I experienced lots of things in my downward progression into alcoholism .

You do not see a baby born with a bottle of cheap booze in their hand people arrive or finish up in a bad situation or place and usually the principles they once held highly or lived by are long gone .

That is what you give up if you stop drinking , stopping drinking is not a '' f***ing sacrifice '' pardon my language , you are getting ''rid '' of how ALCOHOL made you Feel , made you Think , made you experience or imagine Fear .

Fear of the ''unknown '' how will I get over Xmas New Year , holidays weddings funerals ,births etc etc without drinking ?

Its not easy but do -able , stay away from 1st drink ,its 1 st drink that gets you drunk or if you look at it from this view its'' once we get the taste of it '' that is 1st drink , in beginning do this on a daily basis or hourly or whatever but do it , also try and ''live in today '' live your life one day at a time '' it really works .

Try and get to meetings they are a big help you will ''identify '' with others you are not alone ,you will get better and stronger and less afraid that I will guarantee you .

If you click on my name ,click posts by me and click on a post I made a while back called '' The Jug '' it may give you a a bit more understanding of alcoholism . Take care .

Regards .

Stevie

Last edited by stevieg46; 11-10-2015 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling