Notices

YIKES - I want a beer!

Old 09-08-2004, 07:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

YIKES - I want a beer!

The first few days went by pretty uneventfully, but I feel like having a beer tonight. This is the worst craving that I have had by far....So can some of you give advice on how to get through the times like this. The first few days, I really wanted a drink at 4 or 5 pm, but tonight it is right now (9 pm central) Better go take a walk or something. Thanks.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Normal.
When I was feeling a little better after a bender, I started entertaining the thought of having a few. And if I obsessed too much about it, I'd eventually give in, forgetting how awful I felt just a few days ago. And the just a few wound up being the usual out of control consumption. That was just my way.
Cravings pass. And pretty quickly too, if you just give yourself a chance.
Yep. Go for a walk. Take a shower. Read a book. Or just plain go to bed early. Call a sober friend. Whatever is going to help you change your thoughts.
You don't need a beer, even though your mind may be telling you so.
You can absolutely go to bed tonight without having alcohol.
Think about how good you've been feeling in the mornings lately.
Think beyond the buzz, as they say.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

I think you have done a good thing for yourself by posting here instead of drinking , thats a tool I use alot , moving a muscle changing a thought . Do you use any means of f2f support ? Can you call someone and talk to them about it ? Someone who supports your decesion to not drink ? In the begining for me I sometimes had to not drink 5 minutes at a time , I can tell you the urge will pass and they will get further apart the more time you have away frm a drink , hang in there , you will be glad you did ..Trish
Old 09-08-2004, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

It's all about diversion. Use the skillet attack on that nasty craving. That outta work. Keep yourself preoccupied, until things pass.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know...

I know how you feel. I remember feeling like I could drink again after 2 weeks because I quit feeling crappy. But you just can't. Actually this is 92 days for me and my job is killing me right now. I really felt like having a drink yesterday and I am sooooo glad that I didn't. Imagine how disappointed you will be when you wake up tomorrow with a hang over.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ben's Papa

I know it's tough.Believe me!Up until ten days ago I smoked weed from before breakfast untill I went to be(with a pipe in my hand).For thirty one years!This forum and the wonderful people here have been an incredible help.I want to smoke almost all the time,but I wont anymore!When I think about how long I've gone without I want to shout for joy!And its only been ten days.What a miracle!It's possibly my greatest accomplishment to date.Hang in there!
Old 09-08-2004, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The hour has passed and I am still sober. Going on day 5 tomorrow. Thank you all!
Old 09-08-2004, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

STAY STRONG
WE TALKED AT THE MTG TONITE.
THERE IS SO MANY WONDERFUL PEOPLE HERE TO HELP.
I KNOW WHERE YOUR AT,WE CAN DO THIS.............ted
Old 09-08-2004, 09:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Man, I know that feeling too well. Been dealing with it all afternoon and evening.

Better go take a walk or something. Thanks.
I did the same thing - actually went to a bookstore for coffee and just to get myself out of the hosue. Anything just to get out of the house and to distract myself. Need to get one of Talia's skillets, or at least ask her to bop me over the head from time to time. Anyway, it helps to talk to someone or come here and post. If you hadn't posted this thread, I probably would have. Thanks.

Congrats on making it to day 5. Keep us posted.

Best,
Joe
Old 09-08-2004, 10:26 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Paused

(((JOE))) there you go...anytime you need a hand, I'm happy to assist. I love it. Finally...something I'm good at. Peace...
Old 09-08-2004, 11:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Old and in the Way

Thanks Talia. I had every confidence you'd come through.

Peace to you too.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Smile

Thank you to all. It is nice to have people that understand what it feels like. There are so many positives to not drinking, so it is hard when your mind is saying "go ahead, it won't hurt you". Anyway, thanks again. Still sober on day 5!!!

I have to say, I have not been sober for 5 consecutive days in at least 5 years. Ick!!
Thanks again
Joe
Old 09-09-2004, 05:23 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Very happy to hear...

Joe - I just read through the posts and was relieved to find you worked thorugh it last night... great job! I bet you feel great this morning. I know I have already been dealing with the cravings...tonight will be the hardest. My infamous Thursday night drinks....but I am bound and detemined to get through it sober. Anyway, just wanted you to know I understand that need that can be so overwhleming...Stay Strong
Old 09-09-2004, 11:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Paused

(((ALL))) I hope everyone can keep the nasty cravings at bay. Stay strong and well. I offer my support. if ever needed. I'm glad you made it through your tough night jmhs, joe and others. I've been there many, many times and understand your struggle. For me a good chuckle helped me the most, when needed. I really don't go around hitting people over the head with frying pans/skillets. Although there has been many times I'd like to. Just like taking that first drink...I restrained. Good luck...and best wishes. You found a great support team in SR.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Castaway

jmhs,
This helps me with my cravings...