SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Really Tough Weekend (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/378890-really-tough-weekend.html)

DobieGirl09 11-09-2015 05:40 AM

Really Tough Weekend

I had a really tough weekend this weekend. My parents were in town visiting, and I'm used to drinking with them, especially my dad. In fact, I've drunk wine and beer with them my entire adult life (and I'm almost 47 so that's a long time!). It was really stressful being with them without drinking for some reason. They didn't bring wine to my house, so it wasn't that they were drinking in front of me, it was just having them visit without drinking.

In the last couple weeks, I've been having a lot of trouble breathing; I can't seem to get a nice, deep breath, and I feel like a have a tight band constricting my rib cage all the time. I know this is anxiety (and not something like a heart problem), as I had it a lot when I had cancer and when my husband was in Iraq. I haven't had it in a long time, but not drinking has really made it bad.

Saturday, as I was sitting at my son's percussion contest, it was the worst it's ever been. I simply couldn't get a good breath, and as it got worse and worse, all I could think about was that wine would make it better and help me relax. I could not get the thought of wine out of my head. If I had been alone without my family, I know 100% I would have drunk Saturday night. Getting through the night without drinking, even with my family there, was absolutely one of the most miserable times I've had in my recent memory.

Now I'm concerned for next weekend when my husband is away. It's my birthday on Saturday, and I'm afraid I'm going to use that as an excuse to drink and reduce this horrible breathing thing. Ugh...

doggonecarl 11-09-2015 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by DobieGirl09 (Post 5635831)
Now I'm concerned for next weekend when my husband is away. It's my birthday on Saturday, and I'm afraid I'm going to use that as an excuse to drink and reduce this horrible breathing thing. Ugh...

If your addiction thinks that anxiety will get you to drink, I assure you, you will feel anxious.

You have a week to figure out how to cope with your anxiety without drinking. As for drinking because it's your birthday, celebrations don't have to include alcohol. What is it about a birthday that calls for getting drunk? Nothing. On the other hand, what is it about alcoholism that calls for getting drunk? Everything.

That's why you are here. Stay strong.

Soberwolf 11-09-2015 06:15 AM

Stay sober no matter what don't use your birthday as an excuse I done that in may 2013 and my 2 year old neice was coming to see me I had to say to my sister don't come I'm drunk it ain't right

That birthday was so lonely & heartbreaking because I chose drink over everyone else

Trust me you don't have to but stay sober no matter what you will gain nothing but problems & poor health by drinking

Post by the minute if you have to but know were here to lean on to get you through it ok XO :hug:

Alynn 11-09-2015 06:22 AM

What SW said!! Stay sober no matter what! Do something on your bday like a movie, dinner with friend, massage.... Anything but drink. You got this!

DobieGirl09 11-09-2015 06:37 AM

Thanks all!! My teenage (19 and 16) kids are going to go to dinner with me, so that will be fun. Maybe I'll see if there's a movie playing too...anything to keep me busy!

This darned anxiety thing is driving me nuts. I really don't even have anything to be anxious about, so it's just dumb!

Dee74 11-09-2015 01:26 PM

I hope that now you're aware of it it might get a little better DobieGirl?

D

Raeven 11-09-2015 01:59 PM

celebrate you

I may be new, but I understand some things. Treat yourself, book a spa day, mani/pedi, pottery painting, something you always wanted to do. Give yourself something to look forward to and maybe as a reward.

You've already been through a lot, you sound strong enough to get through this, too!:You_Rock_