Notices

Hello Everyone!

Old 09-08-2004, 06:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone!

This seems to be a wonderful site for support! I would like to introduce myself, my name is Shyloh. 28 years old, drink 3-4/week, anywhere from 12 to 30 drinks per episode. I am a male btw. Here is my story in a nutshell. Alcohol has dominated my life for over ten years now and I am finally going to take my first significant step to get on the right path this Friday. I am going to my first AA meeting voluntarily with a close friend that has similar drinking habits. I am just fed up with my self mentality that I can make things better on my own, which I have known for quite some time in the back of my head that I CAN NOT do it on my own. Now I am seeking help. Alcohol has cost me many relationships (family, friends, and girlfriends), 10's of thousands of dollars on going out, legal costs, accidents, jobs....I am hoping all the negativity will soon come to an end on a positive note rather than a negative. I look forward to meeting new friends on here as well as the support any of you can provide! Again, nice to be here!!!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Dan

Hey! Welcome to SoberRecovery Shyloh!
I'm Dan, an addict. Alcohol was the favorite of my poisons.
Very few actually can quit alone, although it's been done. I found the help I needed to start recovering from thirty years of abuse in the rooms of AA and NA.
Sounds like you packed quite a few adventures in those ten years with the bottle...
Glad you're going to a meeting with your friend.
And glad you're here.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Sips,
Congratulations on taking your first steps along the life time road of recovery. When you go to the AA meeting, go with an open mind and try to identify rather than compare with others. Don't be afraid to introduce yourself to the members. I suggest going 15 to 20 min. early so you can talk with some people there that know all about the hell alcohol can cause and have found a way, one day at a time, to stay sober. Not only that but a way to live a fulfilling happy sober life not a somber life.
Old 09-08-2004, 06:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome Dan! Yes, I have had quite a few "adventures" over the past years. Any advice from you or others on here as to where I can find information from others on this website as to what they do rather than drinking and etc? Meaning, what do you do to occupy your time now that you are staying/ getting sober? This is what I am most afraid of!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Shyloh and welome! This is a great place to get support and information. It has helped me a lot in the past months. I also have been going to AA for about 6 months now and have develeped a great respect for the program. You can take comfort in the fact that you are not alone in this. Many others in the program will likely be able to relate to the struggles you have with alcohol. Listen and learn how they stay sober. You sound like you have a great attitude. Best of luck to you. Let us know how the meeting goes.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Sipslifeaway
Meaning, what do you do to occupy your time now that you are staying/ getting sober? This is what I am most afraid of!
Check out the threads in the Alcoholism Forum.
Navigate around. Lots of good stuff. The AA Forum also has Power Posts. But the best thing you can do is what you just did. Ask questions!
Cool!

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...splay.php?f=13
Old 09-08-2004, 07:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

welcome to SR !

My name is Trish and I am an alcoholic . I have found recovery and a beautiful way of life in AA . I support your desire to stop drinking and I am here to tell you it can be done . Let us know how the meeting goes . Prayers to you ...
Old 09-08-2004, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Shyloh,

Welcome to SR. This is a great place for support and understanding. Congratulations on your decision to lead more positive life.

I'm Anna, recovering alcoholic and it's hard to stop drinking, but you can definitely do it. The main thing for me was to plan to do specific things at the times of the day when I would have been drinking. Exercise, go for a walk, listen to music, just make sure to plan something.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing.

Love, Anna