SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Newby (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/378874-newby.html)

Graderdriver1 11-08-2015 11:10 PM

Newby

Well I'm 44 years old, been drinking since I was 16. Sick of getting bloated,lazy and wasting my weekends getting hammered. I enjoy having a drink, but know it's controlling me. Time to stop. Have a wife and 4 kids I need to treat a little better. Been alcohol free for a week now, just got over my first weekend. Been tougth:scared:

Soberwolf 11-08-2015 11:53 PM

Welcome GradeDriver congrats on a week sober

Dee74 11-09-2015 12:10 AM

Glad to have you join us Graderdriver1 :)

D

PurpleKnight 11-09-2015 01:44 PM

Welcome to the Forum Graderdriver!! :wave:

Ghostlight1 11-09-2015 07:29 PM

Hello and welcome. Congratulations on a week sober. That's a great start and shows you can go a relatively decent period of sobriety.
I used to like to have a drink, too. But then it took over my life, like you.
The weekends turned into weekdays. The evenings into mornings and any semblance of controlled drinking a thing of the past.

It's great that you realize you may have a problem now, because believe me, it is progressive and can get worse.
You'll find a lot of support here. And remember, you never have to drink again if you don't pick up that first one.

C23 11-09-2015 08:03 PM

Welcome! If you were like me, my weekend binge drinking want only affecting the weekend. By Thursday, I was already thinking of what I was going to do Fri, Sat, and Sun. It took Mon and Tue to feel better. Wed was my only productive day of the week. I babe been back and forth to this site since 09, and I can say it is the best support group I have ever found. I'm on day 15 this time around. We can do this! Keep reading and keep posting.

Berrybean 11-09-2015 09:32 PM

Well done - weekends can be really tough.

I started out doing it alone, then found this place, and then added AA into the mix as well. I make sure I always get to a meeting on Friday night and another on Sunday night to keep me sane at weekends.

Best wishes for your journey to sobriety and to recovery.

tufty13 11-10-2015 12:36 AM

Well done on a week, that's great. Keep it up, it's definitely better than drinking.

I came to a similar conclusion to you, I loved a drink and the fun and the laughter but it was stealing my life from under my very nose.

I didn't realise until a few days ago that actually my life revolved round drinking and that it was controlling me.

This is day nine for me and folk on here tell me life will get even better which is something to really look forward to.

LBrain 11-11-2015 05:09 AM

how's it going GraderDriver? Still with us?

JD 11-11-2015 05:14 AM

Welcome GraveDriver. One week is awesome! Keep it up.