Notices

From Addictions To A ( DUI )

Old 11-15-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

From Addictions To A ( DUI )

To keep a long story short - all of my addictions to ( ex. pills, booze, marijuana ) all lead me to where I am today.

Started abusing drugs over the counter and ( legal / illegal ) at the age of 15 to 26-27.

Currently 27 and am facing a pending dui charge. This has absolutely wreck havoc on my life, but it is the wake up call that I so desperately needed to become a better me!

The only person at fault here is me, no doubt about that. It's a blessing that I am fully and surely coming to terms with one day at a time. Patience works wonders and wonders will work patience!

Facing between $15,000.00-$25,000.00 in fines and fees as of this moment - but this is minuscule compared to how much booze and weed was costing me over the years!

Spent upwards to $50,000.00+ on self-medicating! Yes, I miss it at times - but after a few accidents, plenty of missed family events, and years upon years of isolation, denial and being a hermit / recluse I now understand!

At least I am not 6-ft under or in prison / jail from harming others while under-the-influence. Being clean will truly make me a better friend, son, brother and father.

Addiction is real and I will no longer let it consume my soul, body or mind!

A new day has arisen!

Thanks for listening and if you have gone through anything similar please let me know - I feel truly alone sometimes fighting these demons!
Old 11-15-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I am so sorry about what you are going through but agree that it is a good wake up call. I hope you will use this to your advantage and keep it as a reminder of the damage alcohol can cause in your life. Good for you for recognizing that and deciding to do something about it.
The numbers for the fines and fees, are you sure about that? It seems really high. I hope for your sake you have miscalculated. I know punishment/fines are in order here but $15-25k is a lot.
Best of luck to you. Keep checking in here for support.
Old 11-15-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, the state where I reside doesn't play around with DUI / DWI even for a first-offense. I could be off a bit give or take...
Old 11-15-2015, 11:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wow, that is a big number. No better time than now to stop, right?
Old 11-15-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Absolutely, I'm getting pinned as if I had 2-dui's considering my bac was so high!
Old 11-15-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've got two DUIs and they were a huge wake up call for me. The first one I took serious at first but then when I got my license back I slowly went back to my old ways. Before I knew it I was drinking and driving oretty much everytime I got in a car to go somewhere. I had no goals or real direction in life, I just wanted to hang out with people and drink.

My 2nd DUI was taken more serious. It was an 18 month program I had to show up to once a week. We would sit in a circle every Wednesday around 5PM to 6PM. I was quitting the alcohol and I can remember feeling like a nervous wreck in that circle. My anxiety was through the roof almost every class and I used to hate it because it felt like everybody knew I was a nervous wreck. Many people in that program were still drinking, getting together to go to the bars and such. Its as if they used that program to make drinking buddies.

Those fines are ridiculously high, are you sure you're not off by an extra zero? My first DUI cost me about 1,800 court fees + 550 three month DUI program. My second was around 2,000 court fees + 1,600 eighteen month DUI program.

I lost my license for 2 and half years if you combine both DUIs. It wasnt worth needing to get drove around by my mom like a child and have to rely on friends to pick me up to do things. If I look at the wake up calls I guess its worth it because who knows if Id still be drinking and driving if I hadn't gotten caught. Please learn from this now, and when you get your license back dont forget how easily it was taken away and how easily it could happen again.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know it is a tough pill to swallow but sometimes taking our just punishments help us to heal from the guilt. Keep us updated on how it goes.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You are not alone. Keep coming back to these forums because a DUI wasn' enough to stop me during my addiction. Not even two. I am thankful though to be sober today at 25. You can do it. First step is admitting that your are not like the average drinker or occassional drug user and if you use again you are to sooner or later going to fail. Have you considered AA? It's important to have some kind of support group.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Baco015
Old 11-15-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Really glad you're here, BAC015! You're not alone

I've got two DWIs in Texas....heavy heavy fines and long probations. Not fun.
Strangely, that wasn't the catalyst for my quitting drinking.....I kept at it for a while longer and thank god I didn't get a third offense which would have meant serious time in prison.

I'm coming up on a year quit and I credit SR for giving me the tools and support I needed to stay quit. This is a great community and I'm sure you'll find the support you need here!
Old 11-15-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Your attitude is great and I'm sure it will carry you forward through the dui charges. You can use this as a pivotal moment in your life.
Old 11-15-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome BAC

I agree with Anna - it would be great to use this as your turning point

D
Old 11-15-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh my, thank you all for the support and replies! Will keep you updated on how well my case progresses through the system. To those who have not been caught, read my ( our ) stories and those similar because this is a tough, tough road to be on. Don't be like me ( us )!
Old 11-15-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have considered AA, but I will be lurking on this forum till then. Really, really planning and contemplating the right time to where I'm more comfortable seeking outward help for this. I been pretty much an introverted spirit / soul finding my ways on getting clean. I been clean cold turkey for about a month before, so I know I can do it on my ( own ) when I really am at my best!
Old 11-15-2015, 02:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No time like the present. Best wishes and come back and let us know how it's going.
Old 11-15-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good Luck, BAC! My so. Got a DUI...lost his license for6 months. He went immediately into counseling and on Antabuse. For the most part, it has been a lifesaver.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks you all for the replies! It helps out alot!
Old 11-16-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best