Notices

OT High Contrast - DON'T DO IT

Old 11-07-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

OT High Contrast - DON'T DO IT

I am not a computer guru but I am not a light weight either but how I hate Microsoft. I run windows 8.1 on an HP laptop. It seems like every time I turn it on it updates something or other.

Well last night it updated and a new little icon appeared on my login screen. I clicked on it and there were some system setting and one of them was something called "High Contrast" which was an on/off switch.

I made the fatal mistake of turning it on. It totally changed all of the colors for fonts, boarders and backgrounds. I did not like it at all so I turned it off. Oh lord was that a mistake.

This little button completely screwed up my computer to the point my applications were unusable because of white text on a white background or blue text on a blue background.

Thank god the internet was still usable and after hour of searching help sites I found the answer. Trust me the answer is not something you would figure out on your own.

So my advice is whatever you do, don't screw with the high contrast button
Old 11-07-2015, 08:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

LOL but glad you worked it out, thanks for the warning!
Old 11-07-2015, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks, MIR, I have 8.1 and don't like it much at all. I'm glad you found the answer to your issue.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I hate hitting the wrong button and poof!! Awhile back I disabled the touchpad/mouse. Had no idea what I had hit!?? I couldn't move the cursor to even attempt to fix the problem.........frustrating.

The very reason I have turned off automatic up dates - Several years ago I learned the hard way to back up regularly and also how to do a restore = makes all the update jazz go away.

It's like the anti virus guru companies - one bunch of programmers on the the 1st floor creating viruses for the other bunch on the 2nd floor to block!!

Maybe that's just my paranoia.........

I need a computer like the geezer cell phones made a few years back = the jitter bug!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
jitter bug.jpg (7.5 KB, 73 views)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I had to fix (twice) the iPad of one of my fellow travelers on my trip to Morocco recently--she had somehow managed (TWICE!) to click the setting for "invert colors." So her whole iPad looked like a color negative.

Thankfully, I found the setting under "accessibility"--which I'm sure is the basis for the "high contrast" setting, as well. For people with certain vision impairments.

So yeah, I feel your pain. It took me a while to find the setting for her problem.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I am no good with these things but I will look out for that I'm not even sure what version of chrome I'm using
Old 11-07-2015, 12:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Whenever something suddenly appears like that, I am very cautious about clicking on it because of the risk of a virus/Trojan horse, etc. I upgraded to the free Windows 10 and think it is much improved over 8.
Old 11-07-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the "heads-up", MIR.