# 1 (permalink)  

keeping options open

figured i would try this
Old 11-06-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What options?
Old 11-06-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, are you talking about trying out Sober Recovery? If so you made a good choice!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome It is definitely worth a shot

All of us are here because we have an illness that we once thought was stronger than us - and all of us are here because we realized that we're actually stronger than it and with time and patience we can recover. It all starts with one day. Do not use your drug of choice today.
Old 11-06-2015, 10:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

We're glad you're here!
Old 11-06-2015, 10:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard findbetter - this is a great community

D
Old 11-07-2015, 12:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Findbetter.

Why not tell us a little about yourself - where you are in your journey to sobriety and recovery I mean.

I've found this forum a massive help in my journey - with both day to day sober living; getting through times like Xmas and other celebrations; and times that could have been really challenging (a hen weekend in Berlin comes to mind - it was great to have the people from SR with me on my laptop in my hotel room when being amongst all the drinking and revelry got a bit much).

Anyway - glad you decided to give it a go
Old 11-07-2015, 01:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome FB
Old 12-30-2015, 09:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

sorry for the late reply guys and gals. here is a little background/current info.
Does anyone work from home? I do and I can drink pretty much when ever I want to. It got a little bad at one point, but now manage to make it between 1-4 before I start drinking. Plus I am in virtual sales and most of the time I drink when I am not selling or drink when I am selling to be more creative and use beer as a tool to push myself to hit my numbers. Can anyone relate to this? Been around the block for a long time 2 or 3 rehabs, DUIs, relationship problems etc. 35 years old.

I really think being stuck in my house almost 24/7, isolation may contribute to my habit along with genetics and track record.

This is my first time posting and have been checking the website out recently after a family member mentioned they have had success with this website and now my family member has more that 1yr. I have never gone over 100 days since I started drinking at 15.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

findbetter response (trying to read repsonses but cant find)

Originally Posted by findbetter View Post
sorry for the late reply guys and gals. here is a little background/current info.
Does anyone work from home? I do and I can drink pretty much when ever I want to. It got a little bad at one point, but now manage to make it between 1-4 before I start drinking. Plus I am in virtual sales and most of the time I drink when I am not selling or drink when I am selling to be more creative and use beer as a tool to push myself to hit my numbers. Can anyone relate to this? Been around the block for a long time 2 or 3 rehabs, DUIs, relationship problems etc. 35 years old.

I really think being stuck in my house almost 24/7, isolation may contribute to my habit along with genetics and track record.

This is my first time posting and have been checking the website out recently after a family member mentioned they have had success with this website and now my family member has more that 1yr. I have never gone over 100 days since I started drinking at 15.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
thanks
Old 12-30-2015, 10:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
What options?
what ever it takes to get straight
Old 12-31-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cracking my drinking was all about a change of habits and routines, I would go to work each day and stop off at the liquor store on the way home, that was my challenge.

The problem with addiction is that we will feed that addiction no matter what, so if you weren't sitting at home, you may be still stopping off on the way home as I did, and therefore the being home is then a non issue.

I truly believe that no habit can't be broken, and when it comes to addiction we gotta get radical, so for example when do you buy your alcohol, because if you never leave the house alcohol wouldn't find it's way in?

This is probably the area to focus on, the next thing is to substitute the routine with something else, find something else to have, green teas, fruit juices etc, build in a walk in the fresh air at lunchtime, organise some activities around your hobbies/interests for the evening times, when you need to be Sober and alert to do them.

You can do this!!
Old 12-31-2015, 02:41 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. You've come to a great place for support.
Old 12-31-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I used to work from home and had all the problems you mention - but then I decided to get sober and I still worked at home, so it is possible

It's about determination and making whatever changes necessary to stay sober I think - something as simple as making sure your house is alcohol free is a start.

Making time to down tools and get outside, even if it's only a walk around the block and a hello to the neighbours could help that sense of isolation too..

Finding support - and using it - is important as well.

Challenge those assumptions too - I really doubt beer is making you more productive - I think you'd be surprised how much better your targets are, sober.

It's a leap of faith, but it's one that's worked for me and many others here.
I'm glad you've found us

D
Old 12-31-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

There can be lots of options and lots of suggestions. Thing is, you've got to want it enough to take action on some of the advice and try some of the options (all of which will involve stopping drinking).

Sounds like you have spotted one of the things that makes it hard for you - feeling isolated, working from home. Well, here's some good news. There are LOADS of AA meetings in your area. Some in the day (could act as your lunch break) and some in the evening. You could try a few of them and see how that works out... Alcoholics Anonymous (A. A.) Meetings in Wilmington, North Carolina
Old 12-31-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

it works very well for ???

Originally Posted by findbetter View Post

figured i would try this

Proof is in the pudding -- it works very well for many.

Welcome

M-Bob
Old 12-31-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

What D said
Old 12-31-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I worked from home for almost two years on a financing project and it was tough, I was always used to working in a structured environment, working from home meant I was free to do whatever I wanted and fell into listening to the AV and it created a lot of problems.

I had to basically sit down and write down how each work day would look like, basically a balance and boundaries without drinking as I couldn't do the task at hand while I was drinking and when I drank nothing was done, I am a one is too many and a 24 is never enough drinker.

As noted it's not (IMHO) a good idea to stay inside all day, I believe we all need some form of exercise even if it's a short walk, I actually tried Yoga and liked it but stuck with their first step only, I discovered meditation helped me clear my mind and quiet the AV.

Sales are sales, worked in sales for a short stint but my 'think' is finance, but in sales I guess put yourself in the customers shoes, would you want to be buying from someone who was drinking and in my case god knows what I would say, I respect myself and others so that was not an option.

You are in the right place, welcome and perhaps you can share a bit more about what your plan is or maybe consider if you do not have one, making one.

All the best
Andrew
Old 12-31-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome! This is my new go-to forum throughout the day, and I find it helps as a reminder not to let the AV convince me I don't have a problem. I hope you find something positive here.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:39 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Smile

Welcome FB. Hope 2016 brings you sobriety and happiness. They seem to go hand in hand.