SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Well That's Different (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/378721-well-thats-different.html)

tufty13 11-06-2015 08:23 AM

Well That's Different

One of my daughters has just phoned me to ask if I could pick her up from the train station, "it gets in at 9pm dad"

What a nice feeling it was to be able to say "of course, I'll wait outside the station for you in the car"

Rather than, "you'll have to get the bus Molly, there's no way I'm going to drink and drive"

I really can't remember the last Friday I could have picked her up at short notice. And even with a bit if notice I would probably have resented her for curtailing my drinking.

I'm half way through day five now.

Thank you to all on here, I'm liking this new found sobriety, I just hope it sticks.

ScottFromWI 11-06-2015 08:47 AM

That's great tufty, glad to see you are reaping the benefits of being sober. There are so many more to discover as well, enjoy!

tufty13 11-06-2015 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI (Post 5631564)
That's great tufty, glad to see you are reaping the benefits of being sober. There are so many more to discover as well, enjoy!

Thank you!

JD 11-06-2015 08:53 AM

Isn't it great when you don't have to worry about being drink? I've had those experiences too.

Soberwolf 11-06-2015 10:35 AM

Excellent post I loved reading that & it keeps getting better

tufty13 11-06-2015 10:51 AM

Thank you Soberwolf!

I can't tell you how much all the words of encouragement help.

I've been thinking about staying off the drink for many years. And now I'm actually doing it.

There's no way I would be on day five (and this a Friday night too) if I hadn't have found this site.

It's very motivating reading through these threads.

SoberLeigh 11-06-2015 10:55 AM

Fantastic post, tufty; enjoy your time with your daughter.

Congratulations on 5 sober days.

tufty13 11-06-2015 10:57 AM

Also, I've just walked to the local shop to buy some spinach to go in my chick pea curry.

Leaving without a bottle of wine was a very different experience too.

PurpleKnight 11-06-2015 11:52 AM

Fantastic Tufty!! Great post!! :You_Rock_

teatreeoil007 11-06-2015 12:51 PM

Thx for sharing this victory! We can enter in...

Each and every day counts and it's awesome that even in very early sobriety you (AND your daughter) are reaping the benefits! It truly REINFORCES that your decision to get sober was an excellent one!

ccam1973 11-06-2015 01:28 PM

Fantastic job on day 5 Tuffy. It's worth all of the effort to no longer be controlled by our addiction.

You're doing great... by the way, don't just "hope this sticks". You can make it happen. You're doing it now, just keep going.

Well done!

loulou1981 11-06-2015 01:30 PM

That's brilliant, im sure its made u feel fantastic, well done on day 5!!!!!

Dee74 11-06-2015 02:12 PM

that's great Tufty :c014:

D

Hevyn 11-06-2015 02:20 PM

I love it, Tufty. :) Nice work on reaching Day 5. It'll keep getting better.

tufty13 11-06-2015 11:18 PM

Up early this morning (6am here) to make porridge for the girls.

That's different.

I'm taking them ice skating in London today and then on to a firework display.

And for once I won't be driving with a hangover!

That's different too.

Not so good is when I got home from the train station with my daughter last night, one of the first things she said to me was "have you got any wine dad?"

I told her that I hadn't; now that's really different!

I'll have the "dad talk" with her later.

Start of day six for me. So far so good although there were plenty of voices going round in my head last night when I was tossing and turning unable to get any sleep, and only some of them were mine.

That was a bit weird.

Buggirl 11-06-2015 11:23 PM

That's awesome! I have noticed I am more dependable this last year too!

tufty13 11-08-2015 06:59 AM

Sitting in the kitchen with my daughters and one of their college friends and engaging and being present and coherent and interesting.

Rather than sitting in a different room with a bottle of wine.

That's different.

Being in a good mood and laughing with my children rather than nursing a hangover.

That's different.

Attending a Quaker meeting this morning.

Now that's REALLY different......

..........I barely recognise myself.

Soberween 11-08-2015 07:08 AM

Some of the gifts of sobriety may seem so small, but in reality the progress you have made in a matter of six days is tremendous. In the end all these little victories add up to you achieving the life that you have always wanted. A life where there is no shame and you can hold your head high because you are able to do the right thing at the right moment with whatever in life is thrown at you.

FarToGo 11-08-2015 07:18 AM

Being there at the station for your daughter is fantastic. This sober life means we can be the parents we always wanted to be (should have been), obviously I'm talking about myself here as well. I'm with you on these victories, I'm a better parent in small and big and medium,....... many many ways.
I used to be drunk every night after my daughter was in bed (sometimes before she was in bed), thankfully we never needed the hospital at night. I was varying degrees of hungover every morning getting her ready for school, short tempered, forgetful, not listening to her....................
Those days are gone, I wish the same for you.
xx

BixBees505 11-08-2015 07:26 AM

It is really awakening again to the full panoply of your personality and your life. You are in exciting times, Tufty! Thanks for sharing with your fellow changelings here!