Notices

Need advice

Old 11-10-2015, 05:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Good to hear!
Old 11-10-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

5 days is great! I'm right behind you...day 3. I too have gained weight from drinking. It will fall off the longer we stay sober! :-)
Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Well done on battling through this Scrooloose!

And I just looked it up, I think you wrote you were drinking 20oz of Whiskey a day, which is about 1,400 calories (without any mixers added in). So that's about 2/3s of your daily recommended total calories just from alcohol. Not much of a mystery about where the weight gain came from.

Around the time I quit drinking I noticed a sudden weight loss and in my paranoia I convinced myself I had cancer. Felt a bit of an idiot when I realised cutting out hundreds of excess calories and the extra daily walks I was doing was what most people would call dieting
Old 11-10-2015, 09:17 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
Well done on battling through this Scrooloose! And I just looked it up, I think you wrote you were drinking 20oz of Whiskey a day, which is about 1,400 calories (without any mixers added in). So that's about 2/3s of your daily recommended total calories just from alcohol. Not much of a mystery about where the weight gain came from. Around the time I quit drinking I noticed a sudden weight loss and in my paranoia I convinced myself I had cancer. Felt a bit of an idiot when I realised cutting out hundreds of excess calories and the extra daily walks I was doing was what most people would call dieting
That's great news! I hope the weight drops off me soon too!!! Just in time for the holidays! ;-)
Old 11-10-2015, 11:40 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Since I'm being so honest here ... Day five and can't sleep. In someone's response they said I was drinking whisky ... No not true. I drank about a gallon of vodka every 2-3 days. Anyhow. Detox is over for the physical wD . Now the mental part it kicking in. I told my daughter today what I'm going through because she called me to babysit tonight. Omg she made me feel so bad. Quote " you have been watching my children drunk? You will never see them again". I didn't need that
Old 11-10-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Scroo,

It's pretty common for insomnia to strike,. It took me anything from a few days to a week or two to get back to a normal sleeping pattern.

As regards your daughter - no you probably didn't need it, but it's not hard to see where that response comes from - it's a parent's response.

Don't despair - reputations can be rebuilt and trust regained...but I'd focus on the not drinking part right now.

The best thing you can do for down the track is show people you've really changed - you won't need to utter a word

D
Old 11-11-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scroooloose View Post
Since I'm being so honest here ... Day five and can't sleep. In someone's response they said I was drinking whisky ... No not true. I drank about a gallon of vodka every 2-3 days. Anyhow. Detox is over for the physical wD . Now the mental part it kicking in. I told my daughter today what I'm going through because she called me to babysit tonight. Omg she made me feel so bad. Quote " you have been watching my children drunk? You will never see them again". I didn't need that
Hi, sorry, my bad. It was Hopefull24 who mentioned drinking the whiskey on here, not you. But there's 8,400 calories or so in a gallon of vodka, apparently, so giving that up should see a big health benefit just from that aspect.

Your daughter's reaction must have been very hard to hear. But as a parent myself, I can understand why she might have reacted that way. I imagine she's feeling pretty hurt about this as well. I agree that the best way to earn back her trust is by living a sober life. From your actions going forward. That's all you have control over, your own actions, and hopefully once the shock has worn off she'll see the changes you're making to your life. But I hope you'll be able to accept that this might take some time and not rely on her support for your own recovery.
Old 11-11-2015, 03:44 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I took librium at home for a week, it made me pretty calm although I just lazed around and chilled out. Don't put yourself under any pressure at all, just don't drink and try to relax. Are you on a tapering dose? I was and set a timer so I took all the pills at the right time every day... Then on week 2 I went on to acamprarasate. It helped me stop for 7 weeks.
Old 11-11-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the help and understanding. My daughter will hopefully come around. And I was not put on a taper of the librium. I go to doctors Friday and am sure the Meds will be discussed. Just wanted everyone to know I want this recovery sooo bad. I was searching all over the Internet for AA meetings. Decided to see if Facebook had a AA group and guess what? They do! And the first name that popped up was a friend from high school !!!! I contacted him and he is very supportive . We partied in high school in the early 80's but have not been in contact since. I don't think this was a coincidence at all! He is taking me to a meeting on Friday 😇
Old 11-11-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome