Notices

day 13 does it get worse before it gets better?

Old 11-05-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

day 13 does it get worse before it gets better?

The first 10 days were not as bad as it is now. I thought by now i would be in the clear. My anxiety is through the roof and im so agitated. I have nothing that calms that inside feeling of needing something.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on day 11. My anxiety is better than the first week but it's still not good. I get very agitated at times, especially when I want some wine. I have been drinking a lot of tea and for cravings sugarfree cranberry juice and diet 7up in a wine glass helps a little. Take deep breaths and remind yourself that this feeling is only temporary. Hugs!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I hate to tell you this but I remember my first few weeks pretty well still and the Anxiety was very bad for me week 2-4, settling down a little bit at a time as each week progressed. It wasn't until 6 months had passed that I really noticed how much the anxiety had lifted.

Stick with it, I had many relapses at the 2 week mark because I couldn't take it anymore and had a drink to calm myself down. It does get better but it takes a while. We did so much damage for so long it takes a long time for the body to recover.

I was at the Dr. this morning and I am at month 10, she still says I am in the early stages of recovery. She also mentioned that my body is still healing and will be for at least another 12 months.

Stick with it, once the fog lifts you will feel so much better and have a much better appreciation of the things you were missing all these years, especially all the small things.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Walk it off. Literally. I found the simple act of hiking to be an amazing relief to my anxiety.
Yes. It will get worse before it gets better in some cases. Your brain is healing.
The good news, is that if you hang in there, you NEVER have to feel that way again.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The body needs to adjust both physically and mentally, and it's the emotional healing that can start throw up more questions than answers on this journey.

More time is needed, if like me you drank for years, then it's going to take a bit more than a few weeks for things to adjust.

Hang in there, it will get better!!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Early sobriety can be a roller coaster ride; the ups and downs can be unsettling but the good news is that things even out over time. The important thing is to hang and stay the course.

Have you tried meditation, yoga or deep breathing, hopefull?
Old 11-05-2015, 10:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It takes time hopeful. It took me years to get to where I was, its going to take a couple of years to get out. The anxiety of very early abstinence usually works itself out in 1-4 weeks. I know that exercise (I do hot yoga) helps tremendously and speeds up the recovery process, for me at least. And recovery is a discipline, like anything else. I have to actively replace drinking with other activities and new ways of thinking. And when I'm really anxious, deep breathing, close my eyes, give myself a mental break. You're doing great.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are a lot of ups and downs for most of us in early recovery hopeful.

Try not to feel discouraged tho - most of us drank for years....it's going to take a little time for mind and body to heal, yeah?

were you having anxiety problems before you started drinking in earnest? that's always a factor too.

D
Old 11-05-2015, 01:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 11-05-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There are a lot of ups and downs for most of us in early recovery hopeful.

Try not to feel discouraged tho - most of us drank for years....it's going to take a little time for mind and body to heal, yeah?

were you having anxiety problems before you started drinking in earnest? that's always a factor too.

D
Yes i was thats how i started drinking.. im on meds for anxiety but isnt working
Old 11-05-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, the first few weeks can be rough. Been there many times. Exercise really helps, as does the practice of mindfulness. Learn to become aware of your thoughts, and observe them. You're not your thoughts and don't have to act on them.

A lot of anxiety comes from our thoughts and our ego reacting to them, or to simple emotions. Learn to just observe them, experience them.. then let them go. Be in the present moment. I often realize when I'm feeling anxious, that in the present moment I actually have no complaints.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
MrBrad

You just have to get to day 21. After 3 weeks, it all starts to improve.
Old 11-06-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I agree with Bradley - for me around Day 21 was the worse and then it started getting better - week by week. You might still have the occasional hour that's bad but they always pass. The urge will pass - it will
Old 11-06-2015, 11:13 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Today is day 21 for me and I feel great. I had major anxiety as it came in waves around day 11 and again around day 17. I just kept thinking of my worst hangover and nauseating day, and the anxiety seemed so trivial. It will get better, trust me. Keep going. No one ever said this was easy... You're doing a great job so far !
Old 11-06-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Speaking to your Dr about your meds and how you feel they're no longer working might be a way forward here, jd?
D