Notices

Ever think you're boring now?

Old 11-05-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I was recently accused of being boring since I stopped drinking, by a friend when I was out at the pub with the regular gang I hung out with. That stung for a moment, then he started rattling off all the things he missed about my drunken self. All of which made me cringe with embarrassment at what I used to get up to. I don't regret not being a performing chimpanzee any more.

I actually don't think I'm boring now. I may be less glib and superficial in my conversations. I might listen better to what people are saying. I know I laugh out loud more as I feel less cynical and distant from what's going on around me. I may not be as loud as I was and less prepared to say and do stupid things. But are those bad things?
Old 11-05-2015, 07:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
I may be less glib and superficial in my conversations. I might listen better to what people are saying. I know I laugh out loud more as I feel less cynical and distant from what's going on around me. I may not be as loud as I was and less prepared to say and do stupid things. But are those bad things?
I find this true for myself, very well put, OpenTuning
Old 11-05-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Learning who we are and be comfortable at social events is going to take time, for me it was something new that I had to adjust to, but it will happen.

Hang in there!!
Old 11-05-2015, 02:24 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
i no longer get bored. but i can sometimes do lazy real good!
That's hilarious.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

When I first began the sober journey, I worried I would be boring when out in social situations. As I waded through the sober waters, I learned who I was again, I learned how to accept my sober self as a less obnoxious and hopefully less annoying person. Am I less talkative and assertive, probably... am I any less fun to be around, absolutely not.

You've just got to get used to accepting sober as the norm. As someone with an addictive personality, I was way too judgmental towards others who didn't drink and I rationalized that drinking was the norm.

Now, I feel good about who I am sober. Boring, exciting, laid back, quiet... the only opinion that matters is yours. Once I stopped caring about how others perceived me, I was able to open up and just be me.

Be proud of your sober self!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:00 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post

I actually don't think I'm boring now. I may be less glib and superficial in my conversations. I might listen better to what people are saying. I know I laugh out loud more as I feel less cynical and distant from what's going on around me. I may not be as loud as I was and less prepared to say and do stupid things. But are those bad things?
^^^^ Yes; this!!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
I brifly felt that way about myself. Then I realized that I wasn't boring, I was BORED. So I stopped hanging around people who drink and found more fulfilling ways to occupy my time.
Exactly the way I feel.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm a musician who plays (at times) for large crowds. I'm terrified about the next time I play a show and have to talk to people before and after . Always used drinking as crutch to be super mingler too .. The social anxiety aspect of small talk is worse then the stage fright BY FAR
Old 11-05-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Maybe it's those business minglers that are boring - not you? Ever think of that?

I was a boring, alcoholic businessman in my mid-30s. Today I am sober, 40, and live in the Guatemalan highlands. I climb volcanoes, hike mountains, and brave the Pacific Ocean with a surfboard. Driving to Belize in a couple of weeks in my truck. Is sobriety boring? No way.

It's not you. It's the lifestyle that you are leading, man. Get outta that rut and make some big life changes. Start with sobriety. You'll be happier, more at peace, and anything but boring.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I don't think people think I'm boring (when I'm actually around any people). And if they do I guess I could care less. I've only been sober 4 months so I've been staying pretty close to my safe schedule and activities.

I've been volunteering for a conservation group and we have an event this weekend. I'm selling raffle tickets because I'm so 'fun and social'.....that made me laugh. I fake it well.....learned how to adapt to fit in at a young age. Then I'm selling beer and wine.....ironic. For short periods of time I can play the extrovert.

Anyway, I've been bored a bit but that's intentional. Boring? Who knows. Who cares.

It gets better and easier
Old 11-05-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
Hi Onmyway, yes, I have felt exactly the same way. I absolutely can not engage in small talk sober. I have no interest in it. I can engage in something of substance for hours sober, and enjoy it. But that's who I am, and I have learned to accept it. As others have said, its far better than the alternative which is being drunk and acting like the village idiot.
Amen... This is how I am too...