Notices

Trying to hit the brakes

Old 11-04-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to hit the brakes

Man, today my head is spiralling down. My chest feels like a runaway train, I spent 2 minutes hitting my head against the wall to try and stop everything. Luckily my hair hides the bruising. It's like I'm about to lose complete control, like my sanity is an elastic band pulled too tight.

I need to calm down. But I have no idea how. I can't even go for a walk because I live in a bad area.

If the next thing I post is nonsense, I've gone crazy.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Resetti, when you say your chest feels like a runaway train, do you mean that your heart is beating too quickly. If so, you should seek medical attention right away.

Have you spoken with your doctor about anxiety?
Old 11-04-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Why don't you go to YouTube and look up some meditation videos - it will help.

The anxiety is those racing thoughts. You can do a hundred jumping jacks in your house, pushups, situps, squats, run in place. That will help. Please stop hitting your head! That's not good!

What about a crisis phone number? AA? If you call them, they can talk you down.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Resetti, when you say your chest feels like a runaway train, do you mean that your heart is beating too quickly. If so, you should seek medical attention right away.

Have you spoken with your doctor about anxiety?
My heart is a little fast, but nothing that can't be attributed to stress. I've been to the doctor a number of times about it and I've been assured that it's all psychological. It's more that I'm hyper aware of it. Yeah, I'm looking to getting some cognitive behaviour therapy in a few months. It's been a bad month and I have a bunch of personal problems I'm worried about and I just feel like the walls are closing in.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Did you wind up looking at any of those links from your last thread Resetti?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ng-myself.html

If your Dr is not being helpful maybe a second opinion is called for - psychological or not, it's clearly impacting your life and affecting you physically?

D
Old 11-04-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am sorry that you are having such a difficult time, Resetti.

Bim's suggestion about meditation videos is a good one.

Deep breathing works well, too.

Please don't beat your beautiful head anymore.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you feel better Resetti. You've gotten lots of good advice, and don't just accept that it's psychological and you're stuck with it. There are breathing exercises, meditation, mindfulness, which can all help you to cope.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, I was taking a look through those links as you commented as it happens. The doctor did try to help, mental health treatment is fairly poor on the nhs in my experience. Not his fault just budgets I suppose. He put me on a course, recommended I try to exercise and eat well and look up breathing techniques. I just tried some and they have helped a little, I feel things slowing down a little.

I guess it's just external problems that have escalated things. I need to work this next month in a really horrible environment to make ends meet, I know it will end, but it sucks. Also I'm a witness against someone who used to be a friend (I can't go into too much detail but I can talk in general terms) who did a terrible thing and it's dragged on, well by the time it goes to court it will be years of pain . He's unlikely to even get that long in prison. The waiting has ruined my mind. I tick off the days until I can go to court and hopefully send that terrible person to prison. But I am deeply afraid of having to live through it all again.

I am deeply angry at law enforcement as their ineptitude causing me all this pain, I think that's where all the rage comes from.

Maybe that's why I decided to quit, I know if i let myself drink through this it might be the end.

Usually I cope better, today has just been a bad one.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for all that stuff hanging over your head - I hope it is resolved soon, or your part in it anyway

I find great relief from anxiety in exercise, breathing exercises and relaxation techniques like these

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...techniqes.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...echniques.html

Just Relax: MindBody Connection: UMKC

D
Old 11-04-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well anything is better than sitting here. So I just joined a 24 hour gym online.

So I'm going to go and be angry and lift stuff, until I'm less angry, then I'm going to come home and put on some meditation sounds and practise my breathing, then I'm going to go buy something tasty and watch a good film.

I guess i'm readjusting that sometimes when you're sober it takes a little hard work to deal with emotions, I've gotten used to drowning them.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That sounds like a great plan, Resetti.

Just take care of you, the rest of that stuff is out of your hands.

Exercise, food, sleep, time. And don't forget to breathe.

The emotions are pretty intense in early sobriety, but drinking isn't the solution. Feel better
Old 11-04-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Resetti View Post
Well anything is better than sitting here. So I just joined a 24 hour gym online.

So I'm going to go and be angry and lift stuff, until I'm less angry, then I'm going to come home and put on some meditation sounds and practise my breathing, then I'm going to go buy something tasty and watch a good film.

I guess i'm readjusting that sometimes when you're sober it takes a little hard work to deal with emotions, I've gotten used to drowning them.
Good plan, Resetti.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there Resetti!!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Resetti,

What an awful situation to find yourself in. You're right that mental health provision in the UK has long been underfunded and under recognised as a priority. Complicating matters is that you're a witness in a trial and from what you've written here it looks very possible that what you witnessed could be at the root of much of the stress and anxiety you're feeling.

From a quick look it appears that counselling for witnesses pre-trial is a complex issue, due to the potential impact on the evidence given, but have you been in touch with victimsupport.org.uk, which also deals with witnesses, to see what advice and support might be available to you, both now and once the trial is over?