Notices

Goodbye Wine

Old 11-04-2015, 03:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Goodbye Wine

Have to do this....drinking controls me. Like many others on here I am a normal functioning mother throughout the day but come night-time the wine becomes my friend. Its lonely without it. Have managed to cut back to "just 3 or 4 nights a week" now but its a constant battle. I have tried everything to try and control my drinking - buy different alcohol, buy pre-mixed drinks, buy a smaller wine bottle but in the end it controls me. Each time i drink it is a whole bottle of wine, two per night on weekends. I have tried many different therapists over the years but none of them believe i have a serious problem. The last one said, well just drink half the bottle. Are you kidding? Who leaves wine in a bottle - unless its the second bottle and you have already passed out.

Im not sure why it is a struggle to give up something I know i need to give up. im afraid of life without wine even though i know from previous attempts that life is better without it.... even though i want to be so proud of myself for not drinking.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! At one stage I was functional during the day and drank at night, in the end I drank constantly and was not functional at all. I'm glad you realise it's time to stop before you get to that point.
For me, cutting down, changing drinks etc. had no impact, the only way was to cease drinking completely and I haven't regretted the decision at all.
I wish you all the best, please come here often for support; quitting isn't easy but it is possible.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You can do it, Theresa! You are much more better off saying goodbye to wine completely, moderation is painful and futile. I have tried to control it in every way possible too, but the only relief came after giving up alcohol completely. Welcome to the forum, read a lot and post a lot.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Theresa!

This is a great place for support and we're all on the same journey! And you've come to the right place - I think many of us are here exactly because we can't understand who on earth would leave wine left in the bottle...
Old 11-04-2015, 03:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Congrats on your decision. Most find willpower is not enough. There are some great resources here to develop a plan to quit once and for all
Old 11-04-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Theresa - you'll find a lot of support and good ideas here

It's not easy to give up drinking - but it's a lot easier with support - you're not alone here

D
Old 11-04-2015, 11:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Theresa!!
Old 11-04-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard. Lots of good advice here. Read and learn!
Old 11-04-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Theresa.

Wine was my poison, too. It was my 'every single night' go-to. I got to the point where I couldn't imagine a life without. I struggled for years to moderate - with each attempt resulting in absolute failure.

The good news is that you CAN leave it permanently behind you; total abstinence was my solution.

It didn't happen overnight and it took a lot of recovery work but I have come to the point where I don't miss it at all.

Glad you found SR, Theresa.
Old 11-04-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 11-04-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Theresa. Your story is so similar to mine. This is a great place! Glad you found it.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Theresa .

What Seahorse said - same with me. I drank a few nights a week, then every night - then 'round the clock. I never wanted to admit there was no control once it got in my system. Trying to manage it over the years caused so much pain and misery. It's so much better to be free of it & to enjoy life without being numb. Good to have you with us.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Trying to cut back, or only drink on designated nights,etc doesn't work. Not for us. Trying to moderate is like standing in the middle of a river and trying to stop the flow of water. It's just not happening.
Once alcohol is out of your heart and head and life it will get easier. Utilize the resources and collective knowledge of this forum and get some sober time under your belt.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
MrBrad

Yep. Sounds like it is time to let go. A part of you may die with it, but it's time to let that part go. I wish you the best.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hopefully people here can be a positive support to you. I'm new here, but I'm so tired of myself and the excuses I made. I'd come home and drink almost a whole bottle of wine because I was bored, or sad, or just because I could. I don't want to be that person anymore. It's a bad relationship you need to get out of now. Take each day and you'll do it. It's good to speak to people hear you know where you're coming from.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Kind of surprising comments from your therapist. Have you ever tried attending an AA meeting? I didn't go the AA route, however attended a few meetings and the face to face support from people who really "get it" is reassuring.

I too drank wine and tried to moderate , but in the end, it was easier to quit than moderate. SR is a great place to connect with people who understand you, so stick around, read and post. You might try joining your month's class too.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Theresa1234 View Post
Have to do this....drinking controls me. Like many others on here I am a normal functioning mother throughout the day but come night-time the wine becomes my friend. Its lonely without it. Have managed to cut back to "just 3 or 4 nights a week" now but its a constant battle. I have tried everything to try and control my drinking - buy different alcohol, buy pre-mixed drinks, buy a smaller wine bottle but in the end it controls me. Each time i drink it is a whole bottle of wine, two per night on weekends. I have tried many different therapists over the years but none of them believe i have a serious problem. The last one said, well just drink half the bottle. Are you kidding? Who leaves wine in a bottle - unless its the second bottle and you have already passed out.

Im not sure why it is a struggle to give up something I know i need to give up. im afraid of life without wine even though i know from previous attempts that life is better without it.... even though i want to be so proud of myself for not drinking.
Wow!! This post could of been written by me!! Especially the part where you say "who leaves wine in a bottle unless it's the the second bottle and you've already passed out" you have no idea how sibilant we are!!! It's what I do often and no I never purposely leave wine in a bottle!!
I've tried to limit myself to 3 or 4 nights a week but it gradually increased the last few weeks it's been 7 just because the thought of a night without wine is too depressing!!