Notices

I Am New Here

Old 11-03-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

:-)
Old 11-03-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One of the keys for me has been going on to this site multiple times during the day. I can't say enough about the support here. There's no way I could do it alone.

I'm only on day 18, so my experiences are very fresh in my mind. I get the roses and enthusiasm, but you better prepare yourself for the battle of your life, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. As was said above, even if you want to come here to tell us to "eff- off" please do. You're one of us and we certainly will understand what you're going through. Welcome to the family!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
ksm

me too

Hey me too but I'm off it 4 days!
Old 11-03-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by IamIrish
I've realised since that I'm one of those people that shouldn't drink.
great so - why binge on your birthday?

some of the best birthdays I've had have been the sober ones - and some of the most miserable were me getting drunk.

You know you need a new life - so why put it off? Why wait to start your new life?

D
Old 11-03-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IamIrish View Post
My plan is a trebled prong approach comprising of:

Fitness
Appearance
confidence
hopefully progress in the first will lead to major progress in the rest..
Can I make a suggestion of some daily support, here's the thing, my good intentions never worked in isolation, the reason? my addiction would grind me down, my will power, my hoping and wishing would all be forgotten as my mind wanted to drink and there was no one to give me a second opinion on things.

SR is a great tool for support, log in each day, keep focused on the task at hand, I needed something outside of myself to short circuit my own thought processes.

A year is a long time to be working towards Sobriety, but as I mentioned I've been there myself, too many people come and go around here, and some never make it back, utilise this great resource that you've stumbled across, and moving forward make this your turning point, the lasting change that you deserve, a new happier chapter to your life, away from the chains of alcohol!!
Old 11-04-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by ksm View Post
Hey me too but I'm off it 4 days!
Welcome IamIrish & Welcome Ksm
Old 11-05-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Tomorrow will be my first day of sobriety for the rest of my life, hopefully.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Be sure to check back in with us tomorrow IamIrish?

It all starts with a Day 1 and onwards from there!!
Old 11-05-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I'm hoping it'll be easy enough... Hardest part will be christmas time. I'm just gonna try and keep stress levels down as thats usually a dangerous trigger for me.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I'm hoping it's easy for you too. But be prepared for it not being as easy as you hoped.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Hang on!

One hour
One day
One week
One month
Pretty soon it's a year. But it's still always
one day.

Good luck. See you tomorrow!
Old 11-05-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
...holds the key

You're in good company here iamirish! Stick with us....we'll help you through!
Old 11-05-2015, 10:02 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi IamIrish - welcome to SR.

Hope your first day of sobriety goes well. You say you've been perusing AA related sites? Does that mean you're going to be going along to a meeting? If so - see if you can get to one TODAY. No time like the present; strike while the iron is hot; etc. etc.

Try not to think about Christmas and other 'slippery' days too much in advance. At the end of the day, it's just another day. And actually, I surprised myself last year by having the most chilled and enjoyable Xmas in all my adult life - at 9 month sober. If you're single you might even want to consider putting yourself forward for some volunteering over that period - self pity is one of our biggest obstacles, and when you're volunteering and helping someone in dire straits, it does help us put things in perspective.

Anyway - one day at a time. Just focus on today for now.

Welcome to the forum. I wish you well on your road to sobriety; recovery; serenity; and discovering all the good in you that has always been there waiting for its chance to shine
Old 11-05-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
Welcome to the Forum IamIrish!!

You'll find loads of support here on SR to help out, be careful not to fall into the trap of good intentions though, I've been there and got the box of t-shirts, Thursdays used to become I'll wait until after the weekend, and then after another social event, then maybe in the New Year, and before I knew it another 3 months of drinking had easily passed without ever taking that first step.

You can do this!!
This and this. My goal post kept changing until I stopped setting future date and made the day today.

Believe me, you CAN do this. I didn't think I could but I haven't had a drink in 16 months. Life improves immensely in every way. The best part?

Say this out loud. I'll never have a hangover again.
Old 11-05-2015, 10:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm hoping it'll be easy enough... Hardest part will be christmas time. I'm just gonna try and keep stress levels down as thats usually a dangerous trigger for me.
The way to make it "easier" is to take it one day at a time. In some ways sobriety is easier than I thought but in other ways it is much more difficult.

It was easier because life became easier. I wasn't just going to the motions with a headache and a hangover every single day. I also immediately stopped having as many regrets and embarrassing episodes.

But I'll be honest. It was not easy. I think the hardest part was just realizing that it was not temporary like some 30 day diet. There is no end point to sobriety. It's a new way of living. But after a while you realize that you do not want there to be an endpoint. You truly enjoy living without alcohol. And honestly, you couldn't imagine living with it again.

Easy? No.

Doable? Absolutely.

Worth it? YES.

One other thing to consider is that while sobriety can be challenging, what exactly was drinking? That was damn difficult itself. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that when I became sober it was no more difficult than when I was drunk and sick all the time. So that was nice.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well, I woke up today with a hangover as expected (god I hate them!) I won't get much chance to drink over the weekend as I'll be working. the real test I suppose will be Monday night when I'm off. I might try get to an AA meeting that night.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:57 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Stay with us and post a lot when you find yourself with too much spare time . AA meeting for Monday is a good idea.

I hope you're ready for this, it's one of the best things you can do for yourself.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi all, I'm not quite finished drinking yet but after my birthday on Thursday I'm hoping to join the ranks of the recovering. Wish me luck!
I am in Donegal so you are not alone 7 days so far for me, good luck you are making a good choice.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

after my birthday on Thursday I'm hoping to join the ranks of the recovering.
Sometimes it's easier to kick the can down the road.
We are pulling for you.
MM
Old 11-06-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I'm Irish and my birthday was Thursday (yesterday) too. I have a few years of sobriety and my birthdays the last few years have been exquisite with out the demon alcohol ruining them. You can have this too. Good luck on your journey!