Day 1 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information >
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read





Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2015, 09:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
KiKi0615's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 5,250

Day 1


Trying to start my life over and stop drinking before it kills me. I've been a horrible person while drinking & I am about to lose everything.

Looking for support.
__________________
By the Grace of God...Iíve been sober since 12/31/17.
KiKi0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KiKi0615 For This Useful Post:
adelina123 (11-04-2015), Coldfusion (11-03-2015), Dee74 (11-03-2015), Hevyn (11-03-2015), NeoNew (11-03-2015), thomas11 (11-05-2015), TNTStill (11-04-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
SoberLeigh's Avatar
 

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: East Coast USA
Posts: 113,868
Welcome to SR, Kiki; you will find an abundance of support, understanding and encouragement here.

Glad you found us.
SoberLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoberLeigh For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015), NeoNew (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
biminiblue's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,770
Welcome, KiKi - nice to meet you

How can we be of help?
__________________
The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea.
~ Isak Dinesen
biminiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Member
 
PurpleKnight's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ireland
Posts: 25,823
Welcome to the Forum KiKi!!
PurpleKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKnight For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 10:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
KiKi0615's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Welcome, KiKi - nice to meet you How can we be of help?
I wish I knew. Thank you
__________________
By the Grace of God...Iíve been sober since 12/31/17.
KiKi0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiKi0615 For This Useful Post:
teatreeoil007 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 10:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
KiKi0615's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 5,250
Any suggestions on what has worked for you guys?
__________________
By the Grace of God...Iíve been sober since 12/31/17.
KiKi0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiKi0615 For This Useful Post:
teatreeoil007 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
zach4677's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Any suggestions on what has worked for you guys?
The only thing that's worked for me is meetings. I was very reluctant to go because thinking I am too young still in my 20s but it really was the best decision I've ever made. I tried family support, 3 different churches, and counseling but nothing eher worked.

The only person who can understand an alcoholic is another alcoholic
zach4677 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zach4677 For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015), teatreeoil007 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
Verdantia's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: St.Petersburg, FL.
Posts: 855
Welcome, Kiki! You will find tons of support and information here with people who truly understand.
Verdantia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Verdantia For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015), teatreeoil007 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
biminiblue's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
Any suggestions on what has worked for you guys?
Well, when I first quit I just was DONE.

I kept it in the front of my mind how awful alcohol had become for me. I did go to AA meetings for a while, they were good in that they got me up, showered and dressed and out of the house every day by 9AM- none of those things had happened in a very long time. I was able to see how distorted my thinking had become by listening to the stories of people in longer-term recovery. That was huge. I thought in my little feeble alcohol-soaked brain that I was fine, I just needed to remove alcohol. In fact, I had trouble putting two thoughts together in AA meetings. It was good for me. I don't go to meetings any more, but I did get a lot out of it.

I also spent a lot of time on these forums. I joined my Class of March thread and posted in there every day. I read everything I could.

Most importantly, I took alcohol off the table forever...it's just not an option any more, no matter what happens in my life. I don't want to go back to that misery and fear.
__________________
The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea.
~ Isak Dinesen
biminiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biminiblue For This Useful Post:
Hevyn (11-03-2015), KiKi0615 (11-03-2015), teatreeoil007 (11-03-2015), Verdantia (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
teatreeoil007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: America
Posts: 4,078
This forum is amazing...! Lots of support for sure...Sometimes on any given day all we have is a desire to ask for help because we feel weak and don't know what to do, but know that we need to do something different than what we are currently doing because it is not working for us in healthy ways...

Good change is very possible...baby steps are really giant leaps sometimes...! Sometimes you have to get creative about what you can do DIFFERENT that would be a better way to go...

Don't ever discount baby steps as not being worth it...

I'm a recovering perfectionist and my lifelong habit has been sort of a mentality of if it is not perfect, 'sc_w it'...I've needed to break that habit and see the value of imperfection as I have interpreted it to be ...and sometimes that is just my own FAULTY interpretation!

Take care and...

Blessed Be...
__________________
"You Can If You Think You Can."
teatreeoil007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teatreeoil007 For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
teatreeoil007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: America
Posts: 4,078
Sometimes I am such a perfectionist I even think I need to write the perfect post or bag it!

*sigh*
__________________
"You Can If You Think You Can."
teatreeoil007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teatreeoil007 For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
teatreeoil007's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: America
Posts: 4,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi0615 View Post
I wish I knew. Thank you
Yeah, sometimes a person doesn't know exactly what they need...you are not alone in that....so it's good you are asking about it...
__________________
"You Can If You Think You Can."
teatreeoil007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teatreeoil007 For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK, South Coast
Posts: 537
Blog Entries: 1
Hi Kiki!! I'm new to sobriety too, just entered my 3rd wk.

I have tried thousands of times to cut down on drinking but i accepted that i don't have the ability to control my drinking & when i drink i dont give a s**t!!!! My addiction worsened when i started hiding booze in my wardrobe & just saying id had 1 glass of wine when innfact id necked an entire bottle secretly!!!! On the odd occasion i had a few swigs in the morning after a skin full just to perk me up (the shame&#128584.

I have come clean about my drinking to my fiance & close friends & immediate family, i feel i need their support so i had to be honest.

I haven't been to any meetings, im undecided at the moment.

But this forum has been brilliant, tons of info, everyone is very friendly & we all really look out for each other (in our virtual community) being aboe to talk to other addicts has been a godsend, i felt so alone before coming here, welcome!!!
loulou1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to loulou1981 For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 01:38 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Dee74's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 176,003
Blog Entries: 1
Welcome KiKi

SR really helped me turn things around in my life and stop drinking. I know we can help you too.

Have you any ideas at all on how you might stay sober?

D
__________________
Dee74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 05:54 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
KiKi0615's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach4677 View Post
The only thing that's worked for me is meetings. I was very reluctant to go because thinking I am too young still in my 20s but it really was the best decision I've ever made. I tried family support, 3 different churches, and counseling but nothing eher worked. The only person who can understand an alcoholic is another alcoholic
Thank you. I may go to a meeting this week. I just can't seem to get the willingness to go. I've been before & don't really like them but if that's what I need to do to stay sober than I will.
__________________
By the Grace of God...Iíve been sober since 12/31/17.
KiKi0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiKi0615 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
Member
 
KiKi0615's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Well, when I first quit I just was DONE. I kept it in the front of my mind how awful alcohol had become for me. I did go to AA meetings for a while, they were good in that they got me up, showered and dressed and out of the house every day by 9AM- none of those things had happened in a very long time. I was able to see how distorted my thinking had become by listening to the stories of people in longer-term recovery. That was huge. I thought in my little feeble alcohol-soaked brain that I was fine, I just needed to remove alcohol. In fact, I had trouble putting two thoughts together in AA meetings. It was good for me. I don't go to meetings any more, but I did get a lot out of it. I also spent a lot of time on these forums. I joined my Class of March thread and posted in there every day. I read everything I could. Most importantly, I took alcohol off the table forever...it's just not an option any more, no matter what happens in my life. I don't want to go back to that misery and fear.
Thank you, I too need to take alcohol completely off the table. Maybe going to AA for extra support in the beginning is a good idea. I just dont love the meetings. Maybe I will try different ones.
__________________
By the Grace of God...Iíve been sober since 12/31/17.
KiKi0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:00 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
 
gettingsmarter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 2,975
Welcome KiKi
gettingsmarter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gettingsmarter For This Useful Post:
KiKi0615 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 06:02 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
KiKi0615's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
This forum is amazing...! Lots of support for sure...Sometimes on any given day all we have is a desire to ask for help because we feel weak and don't know what to do, but know that we need to do something different than what we are currently doing because it is not working for us in healthy ways... Good change is very possible...baby steps are really giant leaps sometimes...! Sometimes you have to get creative about what you can do DIFFERENT that would be a better way to go... Don't ever discount baby steps as not being worth it... I'm a recovering perfectionist and my lifelong habit has been sort of a mentality of if it is not perfect, 'sc_w it'...I've needed to break that habit and see the value of imperfection as I have interpreted it to be ...and sometimes that is just my own FAULTY interpretation! Take care and... Blessed Be...
I'm a perfectionist too. Very black & white thinking. I like your idea about baby steps being ok...staying sober forever sounds impossible but 1 day sounds a little more doable. I stayed sober today so I now have 28 hours of sobriety. My last drink was a Jamison & diet yesterday at 5:00 pm.
__________________
By the Grace of God...Iíve been sober since 12/31/17.
KiKi0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiKi0615 For This Useful Post:
teatreeoil007 (11-04-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 06:07 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
KiKi0615's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: USA
Posts: 5,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome KiKi SR really helped me turn things around in my life and stop drinking. I know we can help you too. Have you any ideas at all on how you might stay sober? D
I may go to an AA meeting tomorrow, read this website & try to get some exercise. I only have 28 hours of sobriety so I'm really nervous about screwing up. I really want to never drink again. It has started to make me feel extremely depressed & hopeless. It's a miserable feeling...hellish really.
__________________
By the Grace of God...Iíve been sober since 12/31/17.
KiKi0615 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiKi0615 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 06:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Learning to live again
 
Hevyn's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: New York - Catskill Mtns.
Posts: 37,855
Hi KiKi. I'm so glad you're here.

I felt the same way when I found SR. I was disgusted with the person I was when drinking - she was obnoxious, reckless, untrustworthy. It was hard to admit that each time I drank, dangerous & unpredictable things happened. I clung to it for so long - remembering only the fun times. They were very long ago - and they weren't coming back. It feels wonderful to be free of it.
__________________
You are so much more than the worst thing you've ever done. Fr. Greg Boyle

A little voice deep inside me said, "Hello, I am here." It was a small voice, & sounded as if it were buried underneath the cushions of my couch. It was my soul...I had forgotten it.

Hevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hevyn For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (11-03-2015), KiKi0615 (11-03-2015)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing this Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:39 AM.