Notices

Anxiety

Old 11-03-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The reason for the anxiety is fear of failure while sober. I've always been a good employee. Did a good job and really good at what I do. I know the last couple of years I could have done a much better job if sober. Still I received good evaluations at work.

I started a new job at a place I was at before for many years even before my drinking issues. I'm so afraid that I will fail or won't do a good job. If I fail I can't blame anything on alcohol, which is good since I'm 70 days sober. However it is a new fear.

This fear feels irrational, but it is very real and is causing anxiety for me. Any words of wisdom are appreciated!!
Old 11-03-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think you would be surprised how many, many people have similar feelings! Years ago I read an article about female executives and how a large number of them have those fears.

I don't have any big ideas on how to deal with it but can tell you that for me it improved after I spent a good deal of time in psychotherapy and learned to accept that I am not worthless. Prior to that I was always sure that I was just a hair away from being fired. I also am under the impression that many alcoholics suffer from lack of self-competence feelings.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm only 23 days sober and I have those same fears. For me though...it's the fear that I'll break my sobriety and disappoint the people who are supporting me. I've been sober for over a year before and I know we both can overcome those fears.

The only way that I can think of to overcome those fears is to prove to yourself everyday that you can do it. Stay confident that you're not going to fail...you can do this!!
Old 11-03-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

I do meditation & try to control my breathing with exercises here's a link Sinderos Fwiw I think you are truly awesome
Old 11-03-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Tell your supervisor that you are concerned that you won't meet your own high expectations and would appreciate a couple of informal assessments on how your doing so that you can make the necessary adjustments and provide the company with the best work possible.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's a common fear.

You're obviously an employee of some ability tho - alcohol never added to that - if anything it detracted from it.

I have confidence in you Sinderos

D
Old 11-03-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

When i got Sober, my potential at work got even better, no more hangovers, no more worrying about people noticing I was hungover, no more hiding in the mornings until lunchtime, I started to eat better, be less hydrated, more sleep, all round better in terms of health.

Alcohol didn't add to my work life, it held me back!!

You can do this Sinderos!!
Old 11-03-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It should definitely help. It is hard to be organized when you drink often.

I struggle with feeling worthless and feeling dependent on this work place. I don't think alcohol created these feelings but it definitely helped perpetuate them.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I often have anxiety, mainly in the middle of the night. After all these years I know what is happening and now manage to put my mind elsewhere whilst it is happening.

When you feel it creeping on find someone to talk to, that will take your focus off it which will make it worse.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree w Dee...I think just about everyone who gets a new job and in your case a new old job has apprehension s about how they are going perform, fit in etc. Iits human nature. I hold my self to high expectations too and it creates nothing but anxiety. Which normally starts my drinking spree. Today I went on an incredibly long walk......2 hours straight.....not sure how far but it felt good and now I'm all relaxed and happy. Take it easy on yourself.....work is not the most important thing in life.....YOU ARE
Old 11-03-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
When i got Sober, my potential at work got even better, no more hangovers, no more worrying about people noticing I was hungover, no more hiding in the mornings until lunchtime, I started to eat better, be less hydrated, more sleep, all round better in terms of health.

Alcohol didn't add to my work life, it held me back!!

You can do this Sinderos!!

I like this. I hope the same will happen for me too.

I think my quitting drinking I can do even better at my job.