Notices

Seeing alcohol everywhere

Old 11-03-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Seeing alcohol everywhere

I swear everything I watch has a ridiculous amount of drinking in it, or it least it seems that way to me. All my favourite shows, all my favourite songs, all the books I read, all I can notice is the drinking parts.

I've resorted to watching cartoons just to get away from it all. For anyone who hasn't seen it, Up is very good.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It does seem that way, especially at first. In reality though our minds just obsess about it and I feel we "seek" it, even subconsciously.

There is no mistaking though that alcohol is prevalent in society though, it always has been and most likly always will be...so we need to find ways to accept that and work around it.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah, at first it does jump out, but you will find at some point you will stop noticing it. And, it's important to make plans to avoid places and people that will involve alcohol. It just makes things easier for you.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is everywhere, but I never needed an advertisement to remind me to go to the liquor store.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When I was newly sober I had to stop watching some of those shows. I was halfway through "Mad Men" and, yeah. Well.

I also associated all my music with drinking so I switched to Classical or Christian music only - for a while. I think at about six months I was able to go back without my brain being triggered. Now it's no problem.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are ads and product placement of alcohol everywhere. Eventually you'll stop seeing it and noticing it as much. In the meantime, cartoons are a good thing. I'm quite partial to them. Nice way to get away from anything too heavy.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The Holidays are the worst. Buy crackers booze display, buy tomatoes booze display, but darn near anything booze display.

The industry tries to convince us our life is not complete without drinking. What I have found is that this is just an advertising fantasy because there are a ton of people who drink very little or not at all
Old 11-03-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcohol reminders are everywhere! At first I noticed the "cozy sitting by the fire with a glass of wine" pics the most. Regretfully, I can't do THAT any more.

But now (6 months sober), I'm seeing the news stories everywhere about the results of alcohol abuse. There are horrific tales that keep jumping out to me. I think, thankfully, THAT won't happen because of me.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yeah, at first it does jump out, but you will find at some point you will stop noticing it. And, it's important to make plans to avoid places and people that will involve alcohol. It just makes things easier for you.
Agreed! I hardly notice anymore :-). It truly does get better.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's like how shows have people eating a ton but always staying attractive and in shape, pure fantasy. So many shows have characters always drinking but never getting drunk.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember being that hypersensitive too - it will die down Resetti - I promise

D
Old 11-04-2015, 09:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yup I couldnt believe it when I saw that burger king is serving beers in some of the uk stores! I was like ffs is there nowhere I can go?!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Bless ya, you made me a smile and I've seen up I agree it's good!!!
I tend to notice it more in the shops, my local shop has wine on offer all the time right in front of the entrance door and then all the way round and finally when you have your groceries ..... you have to que by the wine to pay!!! Drives me crazy!!!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Resetti View Post
I swear everything I watch has a ridiculous amount of drinking in it, or it least it seems that way to me. All my favourite shows, all my favourite songs, all the books I read, all I can notice is the drinking parts.

I've resorted to watching cartoons just to get away from it all. For anyone who hasn't seen it, Up is very good.
Up has to be one of my fave films ever so don't feel bad about that it's one of the best movies made as for drinking on tv it will calm down I was like that

Did you hear about the real life 'Up' House story ?

Edith Macefield's 'Up'-style house in Seattle will finally face the wrecking ball | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-05-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Resetti, I've noticed the same thing. Keep in mind, the companies that produce alcohol budget tens of MILLIONS of dollars in their marketing campaigns to keep booze in front of your face 24/7. Its 6:30AM where I am right now and Tequila and beer commercials are running on ESPN, why? I'm guessing for those graveyard shift workers can come home and relax with something. I was at a baseball game this summer, frickin beer everywhere, I mean EVERYWHERE. I just flashback to some of my worst moments and the desire goes away.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yep. I've had to unfollow people on Facebook because all they do is post pictures of wine. Just the thought of wine makes my my mouth water. I'm on day 11 and trying to really limit my exposure at least until the cravings stop.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It does seem that way, especially at first. In reality though our minds just obsess about it and I feel we "seek" it, even subconsciously.

There is no mistaking though that alcohol is prevalent in society though, it always has been and most likly always will be...so we need to find ways to accept that and work around it.
most definately! seemed everwhere i turned there was alcohol or a reference to it! honestly, i was so jacked up i thought it was a conspiracy to make me drink again. because,ya know, the world revolved around meeee!!! seemed every other billboard advertised alcohol.

as i recovered my thinking change i still see it, but its not as bad as i made it out to be. but i think it was agood thing to go through early on.

i did have some changes in my music taste after getting sober. some of the music i cranked was riddled with drugs and alcohol and great times with it and also quite a bit of morbid lyrics.
Old 11-05-2015, 07:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I remember feeling this way quite powerfully during my first few legitimate runs at sobriety. On a trip I took to California to visit with old friends (many of whom had previously been party pals), I found myself overwhelmed and frustrated with how much alcohol pervades everything. Signs, commercials, magazines, television, movies, in people's homes, at the center of celebrations, sponsoring sports, before, during and after healthy pursuits.... just everywhere.

I've been sober for nearly two years now and I can offer you my experience this time around; it's not nearly so overwhelming or important. There are still plenty of times when I take note or find myself disappointed in a particular example or a day filled with booze-surroundings. For the most part, though, I just go through my life and don't let it effect me any more than the other thousands upon thousands of messages to buy things, do things, be things that I'm not. As I've deepened my life in sobriety, I've begun to become more 'immune' to all of that noise; more at peace.

You will get there.... this is part of the process and I encourage you to take note of it in a removed fashion. What helped me was to acknowledge it and then turn it around with a curiosity, noticing why society sends all these messages, noticing how fortunate I am to be aware rather than blindly following the alcohol's call. I began to look at it as from a distance, like a field observer trying to understand some curious behavior of a never-before-seen species.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

At this point for me seeing alcohol doesn't induce cravings but I do notice how ubiquitous and accepted it is in our society, everywhere-convenience stores, groceries, restaurants, adverts for everything....a can of ale is cheaper than a soda.
When I look at booze all I see is a poison that has caused such misery to myself and so many other people.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Sometimes on my days off work I spend the day watching some animated films, they can be quite enjoyable.

If it works and keeps you Sober, then go with it!!