Notices

day 3 ..... am I really an alcoholic???

Old 11-04-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
A work in progress

"Unmanageability" can take many forms. It doesn't mean all you are doing is drinking. I had a very responsible job, a house, car, no credit problems, good income, never arrested, etc. HOWEVER, inside things were falling apart. I panicked if there was the prospect of being somewhere I couldn't drink. I was isolating because evenings and weekends were for drinking. I was starting to experience withdrawal symptoms (sweats, mainly, and difficulty breathing) during the day at work. I sometimes drove under the influence (and for me, in my job, that could have been disastrous, meaning loss of career/pension, etc.). Even though on the outside I was "managing" I knew that one bad move, one unlucky day, and it could all blow up in my face. People were starting to smell alcohol on me when I shouldn't, and I was starting to screw things up more and more. I had small injuries as a result of things like cooking or doing home repairs when I wasn't sober.

So no, I wasn't drinking from a paper bag under a bridge, to all external appearances (or most, at least), I was still "managing"--but it was a very delicate house of cards and it could have all come down at any moment. For me, one of the most terrific things about getting sober was getting rid of that nagging feeling of imminent disaster.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:36 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I sounded just like you. In fact, when I quit drinking I had limited my drinking to weekends only and was pretty successful at doing that. Honestly, I mostly quit drinking so as to not turn into my mother, who now, after several years/maybe even decades of appearing as a "normal" drinker such as you described yourself, is your stereotypical, drink in the mornings, show up at family events plastered, unpredictable alcoholic.

I have been sober for over two years and thankfully, drinking alcohol has lost almost all of its appeal to me. I am so much healthier, body and mind and spirit wise than I have ever been in my adult life. Why not forget about labels for a while and challenge yourself to take a year off of booze just to make a fair comparison? Someone here challenged me to do that and that made logical sense to me. Give yourself this gift. You won't regret it.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

this is a great thread
Old 11-04-2015, 04:42 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by adelina123 View Post
We all have our stereotypical alcoholics, many of you reading this may believe you are. I just know that growing up whenever my parents or the media informed me " that's an alcoholic" they didn't look like me .... between the hours of 6 am - 6 PM at least!!
Because I function, because I feed my kids, dress them nicely, get them to school on time, dress ok myself and get to work and do a good job...... All of these things tell me I'm not an alcoholic.
Of the roughly 6.5 billion people on the planet who do not have a problem with alcohol exactly zero of them have ever written a paragraph like that on a recovery forum.

Look at your situation from another direction: Why do you think drinking alcohol is SO IMPORTANT to you? It's a problem. It might be alcoholism. You worry about it. Stress over it. Yet, you can't stop thinking about it. You can't let it go and just be content to be a non-drinker. Why is that, do you suppose? What gives it this elevated position of importance in your mind?

Best of Luck on Your Journey.
Old 11-04-2015, 04:53 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

The next morning I'll walk my son to school like every other parent .... see I can't be an alcoholic if o look just like everyone else at the school gates!!!
There are a lot of people at the school gates looking just like everyone else who are also struggling with alcohol.

Are they "alcoholic"?

Does it matter?

What matters to me is this; How am I spending my life? What is alcohol doing to my life? What is it bringing me? What is it impeding?

I could keep on going.... there are lots of things on the list of the stereotypical alcoholic traits that I've not yet had happen.... so maybe I'm NOT!!! Maybe I oughta keep on trying to prove to myself that I'm NOT!!!

But I decided not to. Because what my life is without alcohol is a lot better than what it was with alcohol.

So - alcoholic or not, it doesn't matter.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

It bothers me too. It forces me to focus on the negative aspects of my life when not drinking is such a healthy, positive - and normal - thing. I try and focus on how positive an affect this will have on my life in the long run. Great post.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
"Unmanageability" can take many forms. It doesn't mean all you are doing is drinking. I had a very responsible job, a house, car, no credit problems, good income, never arrested, etc. HOWEVER, inside things were falling apart. I panicked if there was the prospect of being somewhere I couldn't drink. I was isolating because evenings and weekends were for drinking. I was starting to experience withdrawal symptoms (sweats, mainly, and difficulty breathing) during the day at work. I sometimes drove under the influence (and for me, in my job, that could have been disastrous, meaning loss of career/pension, etc.). Even though on the outside I was "managing" I knew that one bad move, one unlucky day, and it could all blow up in my face. People were starting to smell alcohol on me when I shouldn't, and I was starting to screw things up more and more. I had small injuries as a result of things like cooking or doing home repairs when I wasn't sober.

So no, I wasn't drinking from a paper bag under a bridge, to all external appearances (or most, at least), I was still "managing"--but it was a very delicate house of cards and it could have all come down at any moment. For me, one of the most terrific things about getting sober was getting rid of that nagging feeling of imminent disaster.
I guess I saw her reference to Un manageable as being Completely dictated by alcohol. If we look at it your way then maybe my life was becoming Un manageable. ... The paranoia oh the paranoia .... wondering if people could smell it on me the next day, did the staff serving me reusable suspect anything? We're people in the village gossiping about me?
I drove drunk too, I left my 4 year old sleeping at home to go out to buy more wine. I could of lost my job too. So I get your sense of waiting for disaster. I've been feeling like I'm on borrowed time but yet I still take the risks!!!
Old 11-04-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I drove drunk too, I left my 4 year old sleeping at home to go out to buy more wine.
If you're still asking yourself if you have a problem with alcohol, I think what you just wrote should help you find the answer. I feel pretty confident that people in control of their drinking wouldn't do what you did given the potential consequences if you'd had an accident or got pulled over. As warning signs go, that looks a big one to me.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DoubleDragons View Post
I sounded just like you. In fact, when I quit drinking I had limited my drinking to weekends only and was pretty successful at doing that. Honestly, I mostly quit drinking so as to not turn into my mother, who now, after several years/maybe even decades of appearing as a "normal" drinker such as you described yourself, is your stereotypical, drink in the mornings, show up at family events plastered, unpredictable alcoholic.

I have been sober for over two years and thankfully, drinking alcohol has lost almost all of its appeal to me. I am so much healthier, body and mind and spirit wise than I have ever been in my adult life. Why not forget about labels for a while and challenge yourself to take a year off of booze just to make a fair comparison? Someone here challenged me to do that and that made logical sense to me. Give yourself this gift. You won't regret it.
My mum is the same as yours and fear of ending up that way also brings me here. Thank you xx
Old 11-04-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Unhappy

Originally Posted by OpenTuning View Post
If you're still asking yourself if you have a problem with alcohol, I think what you just wrote should help you find the answer. I feel pretty confident that people in control of their drinking wouldn't do what you did given the potential consequences if you'd had an accident or got pulled over. As warning signs go, that looks a big one to me.
Yes I know