Notices

New to this and need advice

Old 11-02-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this and need advice

I am new to this. I am seeking advice for how to deal with my boyfriend who has serious alcohol issues and may be an alcoholic. This has been going on for a year and it's getting worse. He keeps running away from me when I bring it up. I'm at my wits end and think I need to contact his family. To help since he won't let me. My mother is an alcoholic and this is very sensitive to me and is pretty much a deal breaker. I'm scared to walk away and leave him because I know he won't get help. Any advice would be much appreciated. Not sure if this is the right forum? I will go into detail and share my story once I know the right place to post. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome Lucy!

There is a section of the forum where you will find lots of experience, strength, and hope for how to live with an alcoholic:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Please read some of the "sticky" threads at the top of the forum. You have come to the right place--welcome!
Old 11-02-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2015, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lucy
Old 11-03-2015, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome lucy. This is a great site to learn more about your predicament. One thing you'll learn is it's up to the one drinking to want to make a change. No amount of concern, nagging, etc. is going to make a difference. The alcoholic needs to recognize they have a problem that is affecting their life and the benefits of drinking no longer out weigh the costs. Your concern and that it may end the relationship is a cost. Look closely at what you want out of the relationship and it may be that if your bf is not willing to make changes you'll have to end the relationship. As hard as it sounds you have to take care of yourself and your bf needs to take care of himself. You can't take care of him for him.
Old 11-03-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello:

I'm sorry about the situation that brought you here.

You can call his family, a swat team and the president and he will not change if he doesn't want to.

Sometimes by wanting to "help" we enable others.

I wish you the best and I hope that things work out. I will only say that you don't owe anything to anybody, just yourself. Is this the kind of person you want to be with?
Old 11-03-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm sorry for what brings you here. I can only add my support. I understand that you're scared to leave him because he won't get help but equally true he won't get help with you there either. Trust me.

Your boyfriend has to want it himself. Definitely check out the family and friends section here for more suggestions and support. You have to take care of yourself first. Be well
Old 11-03-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Lucy!!