Notices

What substantial changes are necessary

Old 11-02-2015, 12:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

What substantial changes are necessary

IMHO sobriety is about significant change in our thoughs and actions. I am not the same person I was. Thought it might be interesting to hear one thing that took you outside of your comfort zone which today is/was important to your sobriety. I must have 50 but I only get one.......

Mine is:

Intensive outpatient therapy. Oh lord I didn't want to go but am so happy I did
Old 11-02-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I done outpatient group therapy that was way out my comfort zone

Glad I done it though
Old 11-02-2015, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks MIR, great thread.

Mine was the willingness to pare my life down to the absolute essentials during the first year. I didn't push myself to do anything that I didn't feel supported my sobriety and then I took my time recommitting to events and commitments.

There are things I can do without even thinking about drinking now after 2 1/2 years of sobriety that I absolutely would not have attempted in the first 6months.

In my mind, I was embarking on a life saving journey, putting it in that framework helped to really clarify the choices I made.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Forgiving myself for the things I did while I was drinking. It's always hard to think about, but I know I have to accept what I've done and not hold it against myself (EXCEPT to keep myself from doing it again!)
Old 11-02-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Learning to say "no".
I have put a tremendous amount of effort into maintaining a civil, even friendly and loving relationship with my children's father and his family. Despite the incredible emotional abuse he put me through, I see now that he is sick also. He is not a bad person deep inside, he just did/does bad things to me sometimes. We both are working on being good to one another as we have a great respect for each other as co-parents. In addition his family has been very good to me. I am alone here in Italy and they are all I have. So when holidays come I have joined in with their celebrations in order to enjoy those moments with the kids while allowing them to be with extended family. I also feel indebted to them for the help and support they have given me. All of this led to me saying "yes" to a lot of things that stressed me or were simply things I did not want to do.
I am getting better now at saying "no" to things that I know will cause too much stress or emotional turmoil.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to change everything.

My old life was all about drinking - my new life needed not to be.

I changed friends, social activities, the places I went to, the way I faced obstacles and problems.

I'm not saying everyone needs to do what I did but I reckon everyone needs to be prepared for some degree of change if they want to make change.

It was an extreme makeover in my case but I needed it, and I'm glad I did it.

I thought I was losing everything - but I regained a me I forgotten existed, and a great sober life to go with it

D
Old 11-02-2015, 01:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I recognized that I couldn't stop on my own. Like Soberwolf, I went to an outpatient group after I sought help from an outpatient addictions services agency. I was in the helping profession and going to a service that I'd referred clients to many times was way out of my comfort zone. I was terrified I might run into former clients which actually never happened. Like you and IOP therapy, I'm glad that I did this.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey, Dee, glad to see you posting! Hope you're feeling better!
Old 11-02-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I went to an outpatient program, AA and my pdoc on top of SR. Each helped a great deal. I finally had to add a medication which I am now no longer on.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Great responses. I wanted to post this because it is really hard for someone new to sobriety to even know what needs to be changed or how to change it.

I know when I first decided to get sober as far as I was concerned the only problem was I drank too much. Take away the drinking and I didn't need to change anything else.

Oh boy was I WRONG because if there was any hope of staying sober I had to become a new person.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

for me I changed two things, I put a cork in the bottle, and made a commitment to DDNMW (don't drink/drug no matter what), it works 100% of the time, i always could stop but staying stopped was the problem, so I stayed stopped change 1, and I keep an eye on the sober bouncing ball change 2, it's been working for years, i don't look back, I don't count days, so at 63 years old if I had to do it all over again I would not change a thing, I liked who I was and who I've become, recovery for me has been fun, Free Style Recovery Bob O, not a alcoholic, recovered.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Bob

D
Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had to be ok with leaving parties/events when it got to be too uncomfortable for me. I had to be ok with "missing out" on some of the conversation and fun times.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Day 2 here. I plan on challenging myself every single day. I've had a lot of day 2's. I've had plans before that didn't work. For me, day 2 has brought on a challenge that I've never really thought about in this way before. My challenge for today (and really for the remainder of this week) is to love myself. Whole heartedly love myself. I don't like that I'm an alcoholic, but I will no longer hate that part of me. I will embrace it and kill it with kindness and love. I'm challenging myself to not shame my addiction or be mad at the pain it has caused me, but instead love it. Talk to it, reason with it. Find out WHY? I treated myself this way....That
will be my challenge for next week or maybe the later days of this week, but right now I'm just challenging myself to love myself.
-Syn
Old 11-02-2015, 04:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
pray for strength

This will sound hokey, but it is true so I will write it.

For the first time in my life I moved closer towards acceptance of who I truly am and not who I want to be [perceived as] or could have been. In short, I grew up a little, my style.

Like many good lessons, acceptance has come the hard way. But I did not run or turn my back on myself. I kept my eyes and ears attuned and dug in.

For example, one particular night last winter, my first winter of sobriety, I sat in my car bawling after having spontaneously burst into tears during my year end review. That particular session of tears came on the heels of another epic session the week before. And and I was horrified - steeped in a nice mix of epic frustration, sadness, anger, fear, hatred, loathing - all the big nasty emotions rolled in one setting.

After I walked out of my review, old programming kicked in, screaming "RUN!" and get the heck out of here. The situation was so painful and physically uncomfortable and my inclination was not just to run, but to run to my old favorite dimly lit bar, recruit some new friends, and get overloaded and out of order. Why not? The end was near?

I don't drink. That idea was scrapped and I thought maybe I would just explain myself. Reveal to my colleagues and bosses all the uncomfortable personal circumstances that will explain this display of gasp! emotion. What am I going to do? This is not me!?!

This is me. As I thought it through, I realized that this is exactly who I am and where I am. I did not run away or destroy my career. No sabotage. I did not drink. I just gave myself the opportunity to work through things a little. Accept things a little. Released the tight grip a little. I dug in and found some compassion for myself and that is all I really needed all along. Told myself that everything is going to be OK.

Since April of 2014, I have been giving myself little doses of compassion and acceptance here and there. Bit by bit. Something I have denied myself for quite a long while. This is me and I like it a lot.

Great thread, MIR.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Aa
Old 11-02-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Verte View Post
This will sound hokey, but it is true so I will write it.

For the first time in my life I moved closer towards acceptance of who I truly am and not who I want to be [perceived as] or could have been. In short, I grew up a little, my style.

Like many good lessons, acceptance has come the hard way. But I did not run or turn my back on myself. I kept my eyes and ears attuned and dug in.

For example, one particular night last winter, my first winter of sobriety, I sat in my car bawling after having spontaneously burst into tears during my year end review. That particular session of tears came on the heels of another epic session the week before. And and I was horrified - steeped in a nice mix of epic frustration, sadness, anger, fear, hatred, loathing - all the big nasty emotions rolled in one setting.

After I walked out of my review, old programming kicked in, screaming "RUN!" and get the heck out of here. The situation was so painful and physically uncomfortable and my inclination was not just to run, but to run to my old favorite dimly lit bar, recruit some new friends, and get overloaded and out of order. Why not? The end was near?

I don't drink. That idea was scrapped and I thought maybe I would just explain myself. Reveal to my colleagues and bosses all the uncomfortable personal circumstances that will explain this display of gasp! emotion. What am I going to do? This is not me!?!

This is me. As I thought it through, I realized that this is exactly who I am and where I am. I did not run away or destroy my career. No sabotage. I did not drink. I just gave myself the opportunity to work through things a little. Accept things a little. Released the tight grip a little. I dug in and found some compassion for myself and that is all I really needed all along. Told myself that everything is going to be OK.

Since April of 2014, I have been giving myself little doses of compassion and acceptance here and there. Bit by bit. Something I have denied myself for quite a long while. This is me and I like it a lot.

Great thread, MIR.
Not hokey at all, Verte. Poignant and spot on, friend.
Old 11-02-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My biggest change so far was simply admitting that I have a problem, not only to myself, but to my husband and family. The rest, I'm still working that out...
Old 11-02-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by Venecia View Post
Not hokey at all, Verte. Poignant and spot on, friend.
Agreed, not hokey at all. Finding myself has been a huge gift and challenge of sobriety
Old 11-02-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Giving my all to being my best. I was afraid of finding what my best might be. What I am finding is that my best keeps getting better.

Great thread.