Notices

Morning of day 22

Old 11-01-2015, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning of day 22

I've made it through rivalry football games, drinking buddies and neighbors coming over, seem to have a good handle on the- on the way home from work cravings too. There are some times when I'd like a drink- but it isn't dominating my thoughts. I started out with the notion that: l might drink one day- but not today. That was because it was hard to imagine never drinking again. Now that I have made it through a few milestones, I can see staying off the booze forever. I might fall off the wagon tomorrow, but this ride is working for me and I feel so much better.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Hey, I'm really glad is working well for you. Do take that thought of maybe drinking some day off the table though. If you keep it there it'll come true.
Old 11-01-2015, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations, you're doing it!

Might be best if you change the
"I might fall off the wagon tomorrow, but this ride is working for me and I feel so much better." to "I won't fall off the wagon tomorrow", otherwise you're giving the AV a chance to sneak back in.

But well done! It's worth it
Old 11-01-2015, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carver View Post
Congratulations, you're doing it!

Might be best if you change the
"I might fall off the wagon tomorrow, but this ride is working for me and I feel so much better." to "I won't fall off the wagon tomorrow", otherwise you're giving the AV a chance to sneak back in.

But well done! It's worth it
Oh yeah. I'm not sure I would have made it if I hadn't approached it like that. Im trying to just get a life change under my belt. I really think my drinking was more of a bad habit that when I looked up- it was an everyday thing that had been going on for a long time that included hiding the amount I was drinking. I was waking up not feeling good and I was drinking for no reason. The first days were strange and uncomfortable- had to focus on not drinking. But I'm in a good groove now and things are going well.
Old 11-01-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is the morning of Day 22 for me as well. Started Oct 11. I feel so much better. My longest period of sobriety was a bit over 4 months. I went back to it because I lost touch with my sober community and I forgot how awful my life gets after drinking takes hold. It was fun at first, but then it quickly spirals out of control. Within a week I'm back to the miserable place I was before I quit the previous time. And the thing is, once you open that door it's very hard to shut it again. It took me about 3 months to finally stop drinking again---and I'm only on Day 22 so by no means out of the woods!!!

For me, it's not enough to just remove booze from my life and leave everything else the same. I've had to go find what Sober Me is all about. What do I want to do with this new energy, new clarity? For me, that means finally getting in shape and pursuing some work/creative goals that have long been dormant while I hung out at the bar. It means getting healthy and delving into interests and hobbies that have made me happy in the past. A phrase I've been keeping in mind lately is "Find the joy." Find the joy in being healthy and energetic and confident. Find the joy in the things you love. It takes more work than simply opening a bottle of vodka, but it's a much better deal in the end.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are doing so great. Keep waking up sober and enjoy each day that you do. I'm ahead of you by only four days. I get it.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Your doing great Kidseverywhere
Old 11-01-2015, 09:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on Day 22, KidsEverywhere.

Stay on the sober path; the view becomes more beautiful everyday.
Old 11-01-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 22 days, Kids! I'm right there with you. We're doing this!!!
Old 11-01-2015, 04:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's really good hear. I remember it was at the 3-week point that I thought, 'wow, I can really do this'.