Notices

What's in a AA meeting?

Old 10-31-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What's in a AA meeting?

What is an AA meeting like? I want to give it a try but would like it if someone could just describe me what a meeting function looks/sounds like. I would really appreciate it.

Another question: Are the meetings really anonymous? Could an employer or government agency find out if I attended AA meetings?
Old 10-31-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi - I'm on my way out the door to catch a train shortly or I'd have written a more personal response to this question. But this is quite a good (thorough and accurate) page, so thought I'd send this link in the meantime and check back when I get home... Your First AA Meeting<

One thing I will say, is try lots of different meetings and find the ones that suit you best. They can all feel quite different, even though you'll probably run into a lot of the same people at different ones, and they may even be in the same room.

And remember - all those people in the rooms have been in your situation.

No employer or government agency can find out - there is no register. The only time there might be a record of someone attending is if they request it (for court order or similar) themselves. Once you are comfortable enough in one meeting to call it your Home Group, then you might decide to give your phone number and sobriety date with your name to the Group Secretary so they can celebrate your birthday, and also back up any applications you might want to make to do service, which often has a minimum length of sobriety.

There are also lots of threads on this site about people going to their first meeting. You might want to do a search and see what they had to say. Good luck. I found my first meeting a peculiar mixture of nerve-wrecking and soothing, and needed a good long nap afterwards. I've been going two or three times every week since then though, so it can't be bad (18 months in AA / 19 months sober).
Old 10-31-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for the link. Will read further
Old 10-31-2015, 02:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

AA is great! Yep, completely anonymous
Old 10-31-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

AA saved my life & not once has anyone broken that anonymity
Old 10-31-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I've attended 1000+ meetings and AA for me is getting together with a group of people who suffer from exactly the same problem I do. They understand my problems, insecurities, and triumps. Some got off the alcoholic continuum before I did some after but all understand what it is like to be an alcoholic.

We discuss AA's blueprint for living a happy, joyous, and free life without alcohol.

My ananimity has never been compromised but I have found that while drinking the only person who did not know I was a drunk was me
Old 10-31-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Ive been to a half dozen or so in my nearly 6 months of sobriety.

At my meetings, the f2f aspect is awkward because I went the first 80 days clean lurking here. Then at 90 days I went to a meeting because people suggested it was a good thing. I gotten 3, 4, and 5 month chips.

It is more about listening. There is a definite ritual or flow of events. You usually can only speak for a few minutes, once a meeting.

Sometimes it gets dramatic. ...tears....

Most people there do not seem to get online support.

I felt scared and emotional walking into my first meeting. They asked me to talk. Awkward....

My bottom was not dramatic. It could have been...lucky is all...Some people at the meetings have had multiple deep and dark bottoms. I don't judge.....try not to.....just listen.

I've only ever talked when I got my sober tokens.

In summary, the internet and SR saved my life. AA was here way before the internet and SR. I recommend going to meetings when you want. Be ready for some emotional moments.
Old 10-31-2015, 05:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.

The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

that, in a nutshell is what happens at meetings.
employer or govt can only find out if you tell them.
Old 10-31-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What is in an AA meeting?

The solution.

I have never had issues with anonymity and I place an extremely high value on mine due to my occupation.

It is very easy for my grandiose, alcoholic mind to judge and look for the differences in meetings. Lol, if I was so awesome and perfect, my best efforts and judgment would not keep landing me there.

Most in AA truly care and want to help. Some are there to get wife off back or are court directed. They are generally easy to spot.

If comfy with such things, say a little prayer to have God lead you in the right direction and hear what you need to hear.