Notices

Almost 100 days sober and ive relapsed.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost 100 days sober and ive relapsed.

I guess it beat me. Im ok not raging drunk or anything had a couple of cans of lager. Depression has hit ive been up all night, got a situation going down with a very dear friend right now which has knocked me for six. Total upheaval. I feel remarkably calm actually and im not beating myself up about having a drink. I need to see my doctor as soon as possible, and try and rework my stratergy. So there you have it. Ive relapsed. Sh!t. Happens.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I guess I wasnt strong enough for recovery this time around. Need to sort out the depression which hit and I guess I couldnt hang on til I got my counselling. Im not superhuman, im ill.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ful-links.html
Old 10-30-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tomorrow is another day. You're so strong you'll be fine.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Blueberry-just hang in there. Start tomorrow fresh. Up you can do it!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post

try and rework my stratergy
Thank God we have another chance in which to do that.

Good luck.

Mountainmanbob
Old 10-30-2015, 02:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Blueberry.

I remember you posting before I started my journey and I felt an affinity with you and the way you described your journey.

I did the same this week and after 48 days I drank for 4 days.

I'm not calling it a relapse though, my support group says just call it a mistake and move on. 4 days out of 52 sober is no small feat and however many days you have drunk for out of 100 is also amazing.

If you want to get back to being sober don't let it eat you up.

You only fail if you stop trying.

Practice makes progress.

Google for more success quotes, they are all about perserverance not perfection.

You can do it : ))))))
Old 10-30-2015, 02:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Doctor has referred me to a shrink. Im going to bed now and no your right sod it it wasnt a relapse, it was 2 and a half cans of lager.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to read about your slip.

Maybe look through your Sobriety Plan, and check to see if there were any parts of the plan that you forgot to use. If not, then something else needs to be added to your plan so that you'd have the tools to get past something similar if it were to crop up.

I don't think it's a case of whether we're 'strong' enough for recovery. Sobriety is like learning to ride a bike, and we all need to find our balance. For many of us, this learning process will involve a few nasty falls and knocks. As long as we're willing to keep learning from these, and get back on our bikes and try again with a slightly adjusted balance, then eventually we can succeed.

Hoping you wake up ready to brush yourself off, assess what happened and get straight back on your bike.

Rooting for ya.
B.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Drinking aggravates depression. You deserve better blueberry!
Old 10-30-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberInCLE View Post
Drinking aggravates depression. You deserve better blueberry!
Yep, I know that one all to well.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Beccybean View Post
Sorry to read about your slip.

Maybe look through your Sobriety Plan, and check to see if there were any parts of the plan that you forgot to use. If not, then something else needs to be added to your plan so that you'd have the tools to get past something similar if it were to crop up.

I don't think it's a case of whether we're 'strong' enough for recovery. Sobriety is like learning to ride a bike, and we all need to find our balance. For many of us, this learning process will involve a few nasty falls and knocks. As long as we're willing to keep learning from these, and get back on our bikes and try again with a slightly adjusted balance, then eventually we can succeed.

Hoping you wake up ready to brush yourself off, assess what happened and get straight back on your bike.

Rooting for ya.
B.
You know whats been hard is that horrible feeling of depression which ive not felt for a good few years, any kind of low, stressful or painful emotion I blocked it out with years of drinking, my coping mechanism just doesnt know what to do when I feel like that and it just got too much, I wanted it just to go or to lift. I guess I wasnt prepared for that.
Old 10-30-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

good job telling on yourself....

I'd suggest you don't look at it as "no big deal" - and take this opportunity to jump back onto your recovery plan.

The 'no big deal' mindset can lead - slippery slope style - back to a downward spiral.

Old 10-30-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I don't judge, I support. I think you've done great blueberry. You'll be fine. I sense in your writings that you are committed and this won't derail you long term. Take care.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:43 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

I'd suggest you don't look at it as "no big deal" - and take this opportunity to jump back onto your recovery plan.

The 'no big deal' mindset can lead - slippery slope style - back to a downward spiral.

Im straight back on it
Old 10-30-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by blueberry2015 View Post

You know whats been hard is that horrible feeling of depression which ive not felt for a good few years, any kind of low, stressful or painful emotion I blocked it out with years of drinking, my coping mechanism just doesnt know what to do when I feel like that and it just got too much, I wanted it just to go or to lift. I guess I wasnt prepared for that.
I completely understand this Blueberry. We numbed ourselves to emotions, and have to relearn how to deal with them. I agree to not think of this as a relapse, you got RIGHT back up. No small feat there.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:09 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Blueberry, I think it's great that you know you need to change things a bit. Seeing a psychologist/psych dr about your depression could make a difference to you. I was depressed long before I started drinking and I needed to get a handle on that before I could stop drinking and recover.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post

I'm with FreeOwl on this; if I had drunk I would be beating myself up so badly that I wouldn't want to do it again.

Having said that, I really feel for you. Get some rest, tomorrow is another day
Old 10-30-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Great job of admitting it and getting right back here. There's never failure, just learning experiences.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good job handling this, Blueberry! I know many of us beat ourselves up after a slip or relapse. Over time I gradually realized that, for me, beating myself up was a way to avoid dealing with what is reality. I am an alcoholic and the risk is always there - it doesn't magically go away after a certain number of days. I hope I'll never slip again yet I have put some thought into how I can handle a slip so that it doesn't snowball.