Notices

Withdrawal Symptoms (what should I do?)

Old 10-29-2015, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawal Symptoms (what should I do?)

Earlier this evening, when I was picking up some beer from the local corner store, something felt strange inside of me. I started getting hot, panicky, anxious, and started to palpitate for no reason at all. It hadn't dawned on me that I had hit the 24 hour mark of sobriety (not really a big deal, normally) and was entering mild withdrawal symptoms. After talking to my mom (who happens to be a nutritionist) about my symptoms, I was urged to see if the problem went away if I consumed the beer I had just bought. Sure enough, yep. The first one didn't do it, but the third sure did. I think I'm in the hole.

Before I go any further, I'm 26, I keep a regular checkup on my blood work, and I've been getting counseling for my crippling social anxiety disorder since may 2015. My mom is an ex-alcoholic, and my brother is an alcoholic like me. If someone had 'the perfect groundwork' for alcoholism, I'm that guy. Apart from my alcoholism, I'm a health-nut about what I consume; no nicotine, minimal caffeine, no sugar, no gluten, etc. I have been labeled a self-medicator by counselors and therapists, so that's a thing as well.

Well, as luck would have it, I googled the symptoms myself and although none of these are necessarily life-threatening (I'm not seeing stuff that isn't there or anything like that), what's the best way to get off of alcohol if you were to DIY (do it yourself)? I'm about to see my new therapist tomorrow, so I will be consulting a professional about the issue, but what's the best way to kick the habit before it turns you inside out?

Thanks so much for the insight. I'm dying here, but I want to live.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
dcg
D♭7♭9♯9♯11♭13

What are your current drinking habits? It's hard to say if this was withdrawals or an anxiety attack unrelated to withdrawal as both will be helped by drinking a few beers.

I got off booze as a diy, but I recommend people speak to a medical doctor. I knew precisely how much I was taking in daily, which makes a big difference when trying to diy.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:08 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

^ Very good point. It could have been either one, but random anxiety / panic attacks aren't normal for me (they've only ever happened around alcohol, although that's a trigger in itself).

I don't drink daily, but every few days (or every other day) I knock back 6-8 low-ABV beers in an evening. I'm not looking for expert advice here so much as just well-rounded opinions. I trust the people who have made it out alive
Old 10-30-2015, 12:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like you re on the low end of the consumption spectrum. Lots of mineral/spring water is good. Sounds like you have a good diet. Welcome to SR :-)
Old 10-30-2015, 12:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome VTS
Old 10-30-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Talking to a doctor about your plan probably is the safest bet, since you have other things going on. I'm on day 14, and I had pretty bad withrawals, including shakes, confusion, insomnia, depression, etc. The first 4 days were hell. At this point some mild cravings and disrupted sleep, but manageable. You'll get some good advice regarding eating well, exercising, etc. I got myself through it by understanding these withrawals were not any worse than the terrible hangovers. You don't want to go through this again, so let's get through it and be done.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum VomitTheSoul!!
Old 10-30-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Currently weaning...

Hi, I am currently weaning down myself to avoid DT. I started off with around 1.5 L of diluted alcohol per day and got myself down to 750 ml. That took me months because I kept relapsing. Once I got to 750 ml I only relapsed if I kidded myself that I would make the 1.5 L bottle last two days.

It has taken a lot for me to get where I am at, which was being honest with my spouse and getting help. He is now the one dumping 4 precious ounces of it down the drain, and I plan on getting to 8 ounces being dumped by Sunday. I control the rest of what I drink by making sure I take in small amounts - delaying the first drink as long as I can (the window is getting bigger) - and reaching out. There is no way I am going to be able to do this alone. In fact, I feel very much alone at night, which completely sucks. My husband and I are separating although he still sleeps in the bed, and he just goes to sleep and starts snoring, and I wish I had alcohol to drink to put me to sleep as well. That's going to be my biggest hurdle - the nights.

What will be yours?
Old 10-30-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Frank14 View Post
Talking to a doctor about your plan probably is the safest bet, since you have other things going on. I'm on day 14, and I had pretty bad withrawals, including shakes, confusion, insomnia, depression, etc. The first 4 days were hell. At this point some mild cravings and disrupted sleep, but manageable. You'll get some good advice regarding eating well, exercising, etc. I got myself through it by understanding these withrawals were not any worse than the terrible hangovers. You don't want to go through this again, so let's get through it and be done.
I remember my first 14 days of withdrawal. The symptoms were much as you described, then they got better. However, at about the 5-week mark, there were a couple nights in a row when I woke up in the middle of the night with night sweats / shakes. However, that was the last time. On day 102 today and have a pretty good sleep pattern right now and feel pretty good. Anxiety and depression are much milder than a few months back. One day at a time.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm really glad you joined us, VTS. You're in good company.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

This link has lots of information:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 11-02-2015, 09:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the words, experiences and resources.

It seems like my withdrawal is a pretty gentle one compared to most, considering my symptoms mainly consist of nausea and insomnia, but I've never been an everyday-drinker.

One thing I have to keep in mind is that an alcoholic is an alcoholic; just because my detox doesn't require medical attention doesn't mean that I don't have the same problem as everyone else.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

A belated welcome to you VTS - glad you're doing ok

D