Notices

An idea for you newbies for this weekend.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An idea for you newbies for this weekend.

I wanted to share my plans for the weekend with you.

Today is day 6 AGAIN and I am going to get past this weekend WHATEVER it takes. I have already turned down the invitation to the Halloween party and am feeling quite smug!

So I got to thinking about when I feel most vulnerable. For me it is in fact in my bedroom from mid evening onwards. I love to put the computer on, open a bottle, surf the net, listen to songs, open another bottle, Facebook and get stupid. Then I wake up the next day hungover of course, the bed side table is strewn with glasses, meds, junk, half read book, the room is a mess, dribble on the sheets which should have been changed long ago, clothes are everywhere and so it goes on.. and gets worse as the week goes on.

So my plan for this weekend is to turn my bedroom into a new serene safe haven. I am going to clean it top to bottom, dump all unwanted stuff, take a trip to IKEA to buy some new bits and bopbs... wall frames to give it a new look, I am going to invest in some relaxing music and candles, buy some new fluffy pillows etc. I also want to buy one of those diffuser machines with essential oils. I am going to line up small bottles of lime perrier in my closet which is my "new" drink.

My bedroom will be cleansed of all previous bad memories once and for all. If i can stretch to it am also going to treat myself to a small plasma screen which I have always wanted being a film buff.

And from now on the computer is banned from the bedroom. Forever.

I really hope that I can start to associate my new room with health peace and comfort. And even though I am on a tight budget I feel really excited about the project. And I also figured that I have been sober for than 18 days out of the last 21 so I have already economised more than 200 euros easily!

So what about you? Where is your favourite "drinking room" in the house? The den? Office? Workshop? Why not give it a make over this weekend? It would be fun to exchange ideas!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

That sounds like a fantastic idea. I think making a change like that in your bedroom will be so positive for you.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kys

Loved reading this, and even small changes go a long way. I've found some calm in growing plants to add to my place
Old 10-29-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Great idea Fabat. I've found sobriety requires many different changes in my life. Not just stopping drinking.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

External changes can certainly help facilitate internal changes - good for you. I found keeping new sober projects to "small bites" = something I could do in a an hour or so, most helpful initially. My body and brain needed a lot of rest and I made sure they weren't overwhelmed.

An fresh environment can do wonder for the soul!! Terrific idea!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

This made me want to get up and clean and organize my room.

Great idea!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Fabat you got this bud lean on us throughout the weekend
Old 10-29-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Love the idea! Hope your room turns out awesome!! For me, its the kitchen....wine while making dinner, during dinner, and after dinner. I used to have only 1 bottle in the house to 'control' myself, but the liquor store is 5 minutes away, so why not drive up there! Stupid! Needless to say, it was the kitchen that prompted me realizing I have a real problem and the denial needs to stop. In my wine stupor, I decided that making cookies was a good idea. Put them in the oven, went upstairs and forgot about the cookies in the oven - all night! Insanity! I Literally could have died from an oven fire. So, my kitchen now has new 'bits and bops' as well, and I invest in the n/a beverages like seltzer water, the ginger ale or diet 7up, that helps. One thing I do when I get home is put music instead of the tv on right away, it really helps relax me in a positive way. I usually play upbeat music without alot of vocals - like a salon or something, just to get me in a creative, relaxed space! Cravings are hard tho! Thanks for posting~
Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreaJean View Post
Love the idea! Hope your room turns out awesome!! For me, its the kitchen....wine while making dinner, during dinner, and after dinner. I used to have only 1 bottle in the house to 'control' myself, but the liquor store is 5 minutes away, so why not drive up there! Stupid! Needless to say, it was the kitchen that prompted me realizing I have a real problem and the denial needs to stop. In my wine stupor, I decided that making cookies was a good idea. Put them in the oven, went upstairs and forgot about the cookies in the oven - all night! Insanity! I Literally could have died from an oven fire. So, my kitchen now has new 'bits and bops' as well, and I invest in the n/a beverages like seltzer water, the ginger ale or diet 7up, that helps. One thing I do when I get home is put music instead of the tv on right away, it really helps relax me in a positive way. I usually play upbeat music without alot of vocals - like a salon or something, just to get me in a creative, relaxed space! Cravings are hard tho! Thanks for posting~
I am also a kitchen drinker .. that's my second most dangerous room. But as I can't do every room in the house I figured I would start with the bedroom lol Who knows maybe I will attack the kitchen next!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
External changes can certainly help facilitate internal changes - good for you. I found keeping new sober projects to "small bites" = something I could do in a an hour or so, most helpful initially. My body and brain needed a lot of rest and I made sure they weren't overwhelmed.

An fresh environment can do wonder for the soul!! Terrific idea!
Thanks for talking about small bites. Indeed I have just started clearing out the clothes for the Charity shop and must be honest I felt overwhelmed after only 20 minutes. I'm going to break it down into small projects for the weekend.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's a great idea Fabat!! Changing things up is always a positive way forward!!
Old 10-29-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by Fabat50 View Post
Thanks for talking about small bites. Indeed I have just started clearing out the clothes for the Charity shop and must be honest I felt overwhelmed after only 20 minutes. I'm going to break it down into small projects for the weekend.

For me it's part of alcoholism - I want to feel good Now so I drank. In recovery, I want to change now! So I may do some manic things........

Patience, hitting pause and breathing are vital. Those are more difficult for me than most other things at times.

A friend suggested I make my bed every morning - at 16 months I still do it(mostly!) I use that time to think of what I am grateful for. At first, it was short list......today it's really long. Not because there is so much more, but because I now pause and realize how truly beautiful the world around me is, today.

Take your time and regardless of all else - just - don't -drink!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fly N Buy View Post
For me it's part of alcoholism - I want to feel good Now so I drank. In recovery, I want to change now! So I may do some manic things........

Patience, hitting pause and breathing are vital. Those are more difficult for me than most other things at times.

A friend suggested I make my bed every morning - at 16 months I still do it(mostly!) I use that time to think of what I am grateful for. At first, it was short list......today it's really long. Not because there is so much more, but because I now pause and realize how truly beautiful the world around me is, today.

Take your time and regardless of all else - just - don't -drink!
Funny your anecdote about making your bed... a friend of mine told me to always clean and polish my kitchen sink to make it shiny before I go to bed and promised me it would feel good when I wake up and go in my kitchen in the morning to start my day. I try to do it. She is right! (I never make my bed.... will start from tomorrow!)
Old 10-29-2015, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've spent the last two weekends sober for the first time in years. I decided to make over and trim
my front garden. It now looks amazing and I feel proud having heard lots of people commenting as they pass by. I can't believe I spent the last year neglecting it on the pretext that I couldn't afford a gardener and had no time. Now I have so much time I don't need a gardener but also get the kick of knowing I did it myself 😝
Old 10-29-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Luchita View Post
I've spent the last two weekends sober for the first time in years. I decided to make over and trim
my front garden. It now looks amazing and I feel proud having heard lots of people commenting as they pass by. I can't believe I spent the last year neglecting it on the pretext that I couldn't afford a gardener and had no time. Now I have so much time I don't need a gardener but also get the kick of knowing I did it myself 😝
That's fantastic. Well done. We neglect and turn a blind eye to so many things when we are "drunks" don't we.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes we do! My worst has been not submitting my tax return on time. I've accumulated a huge fine simply because I couldn't get my act together to complete the forms. I finally did them earlier this week and wasn't as difficult as I was finding them to be. I think I simply didn't have a long enough attention span! If nothing else this memory will hopefully help me to stay on track to be sober as I blew away enough money to have had a great holiday. 😣