Notices

Break Free Sober Weekender Thread Oct 30th...

Old 10-29-2015, 01:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Arrow Break Free Sober Weekender Thread Oct 30th...

Having a most recent conversation with a cousin I have learned a bit more about my mysterious family. Mysterious in that I only know my mother’s side. My father's was hidden in family gossip and slanted to my understanding that they were not people that loved me. All such meaninglessness now that I approach 50 years of age. I live in the now.

How is that a weekender topic? Hmmmmm.

She talked of cycles of drinking, gambling, physical and emotional abuse that seems to permeate generations. A cycle that goes felt but unspoken, yet sadly continued.

Break the cycle I thought. Do I manage to do that? Staying and living sober… Has that allowed me to be free?.... Yes.

I am not a father so I have never been tested. But I am a fighter who believes in hope and goodness. Breaking free from the hand me down thinking so many are subjected to. Break the cycle of addiction and abuse.

Seeing the cycle is probably why I drank. But feeling the warmth of passing though it is the reason I stay sober.

Break free this weekend. Break free of loss. Of pain. Of sadness. Love life with all you have. Be free. You are free. I am free.

Sorry to be so heavy. Let's have some sober weekender fun shall we???

Can you hear it? I can!

*Ring Ring*!!!!

Welcome to your sober weekend!!!

Ken
Old 10-29-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

No way - my first ever shotgun!!!!

I'm on.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behan View Post
No way - my first ever shotgun!!!!

I'm on.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Tis a wonderful, weekend message K.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yay Behan!!!

I didn't find your post heavy Ken. Thought provoking yes but I thought it was inspiring. I also know very little about my biological father which I think I am fine with I had a wonderful step father ( I don't like even typing step ) but I do have huge trust and abandonment issues.
Old 10-29-2015, 03:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yeah I see that too Della. Just when I wrote it before bed I felt very heavy. I woke feeling lighter and ready for the day. Always a blessing.

Halloweenie weekend!!!! I am going to stroll through the west end here on Saturday. Leaves on the ground. Big trees line the sidewalks. Old huge mansions all lite up. People everywhere in costume. Always friendly and fun. Usually not sober for it but I will be this year. I have not gone since I have been back.

New place for dinner tonight. Nothing fancy. But looking forward to working my way through the burger menu!!!!

K
Old 10-29-2015, 03:49 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good to see you guys this morning. This is the closest I've ever been to shotgun. Good job Behan.

I'm definitely in for another sober weekend.

Ken, I don't think your topic is heavy. Breaking the cycle is one of the reasons I decided I had to quit. I come from a long line of alcoholics. From closet alcoholics, to heavy drinkers who don't think they have a problem to family members who have drank themselves to death.

I have two kids and don't want to have any part in passing this terrible addiction on to them. I won't be able to hold their hands through out life. I can do my best to give them a fighting chance and not have to battle alcoholism because they see their father drinking all of the time and grow up thinking that is normal.

Happy sober weekend everybody!
Old 10-29-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Count me in Weekenders!! Great post Ken, thought provoking as always!!

Talking of breaking free, I'm free from work after tomorrow for a whole week, and I'm hitting London for the NFL, been waiting since January when I bought my ticket and November has now finally arrived.

Years ago a trip to a sporting event was a beer fest, how much could I consume, planning the day and the intervals around trips to the beer stand, but those chains are now firmly off, I'll enjoy the atmosphere, the occasion with the other fans, not have to worry about how I'm getting home, those hangovers at the airports or the next morning, the regret over spending too much money, and reliving embarrassing moments.

I'll be freshly rested on the flight over on Saturday, go to the game and enjoy every moment, every play, every score, wake up on Monday hangover free, and enjoy a day sightseeing before returning Tuesday . . . now that's what I call breaking FREE!!

Let's keep it Sober Weekenders!!
Old 10-29-2015, 04:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Nice one Behan!

Excellent opener Weasel.

I know I am a recovering alcoholic but I can at least say I didn't follow my parents in being emotionally and physically abusive. The physical abuse stopped fairly early as I was bigger than my dad aged 14. Bigger but nowhere near as mean. They were both heavy drinkers and now that they are in their 70s both alcoholics. They are probably going to die unmourned by anyone in a couple of years. Their choice, I stopped feeling bitter about it decades ago

I am down at the wide end of Old Father Thames this morning, some Kitesurfers are braving the weather - very windy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20151029_110238.jpg (29.3 KB, 143 views)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

It's windy so not only am I riding the roof I brought a kite
Old 10-29-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm on the bus!

I don't think the topic is too heavy - I also find it inspiring. There's drinking in my family, some of it heavy. But nothing too destructive. I seem to be the one who cornered the market on that. So for me, breaking free is all about breaking the chains that bound me to alcohol, and showing my kids what NOT drinking looks like. A responsible, meaningful life for me. I only have 30 or so years left, and I intend tv make the best of them!

No big plans this weekend - I work tonight, tomorrow night, and Saturday night, but the days are free. Hoping to get some serious cleaning done. Maybe some big cooking, too. Pretty low-key. The weather is horrible at the moment, but it's going to warm up for the weekend, so I'll try to get a couple of good hikes in as well.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Definitely on board. I will be happily listening to Queen's "I want to break free" in my head all day, now. :-)
Old 10-29-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's the weekend!!!!
I am definitely on board!

Old 10-29-2015, 04:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great post as always.
Count me in.

Today marks three months since my Granny left us. I still miss her. She made us all toe the line and there would not be all this fighting over the will if she was still around.

Anyway I have an aftercare meeting this afternoon. Have to get ready!
Have a nice day guys.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Weasel thank you for that inspiring message. I don't want to hand down a life like that to my children.

I'm like MLD. I'm the one who cornered the market on alcohol in my family. If my grandparents were alcoholics, they quit early.

Still enjoying my long weekend. I'll be back and I'm on the bus.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:00 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm on! Not too heavy at all Weasel.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi everyone!
Count me in for another glorious sober weekend.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'd like to join you all this weekend.

Lots of drinking in my family. It skipped my Grandma's and both of my parents somehow.

Today marks the month mark of losing one of my most beloved family members. I've mourned enough. It's time for me to be free of that and be happy like she would want me to be.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Break free indeed!

Good morning y'all!

Appropriate topic for all of us wishing to break generational chains of addiction and abuse. It ends here...with me. Right now. Knowing I'm not doomed to my parents drunken lives is liberating! I'm finally becoming my own person! Yay!

Love the overcast pic Sao.

Make it a great day!
Xo
Old 10-29-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Welcome aboard chick chick!