SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Toward Peace and Bliss (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/378170-toward-peace-bliss.html)

Omshantiananda 10-28-2015 03:44 AM

Toward Peace and Bliss

Hello fellow quitters,
Five years ago, I maintained sobriety for over three years. The AV got me and I thought I could "moderate." Well, as I know well, it doesn't work, and I got right back into wine every night. I have made many significant, positive changes over the last year, and now it's time to put the icing on the cake and get sober again, to my authentic self.
I can do this.
Thank you for being here. Today is Day 1 AGAIN. I will never quit quitting.
Omshantiananda

D122y 10-28-2015 03:48 AM

So you tried to moderate...2 years ago...and for the last 2 years..wine every night...?

Let me know..

Regardless, 3 years is amazing. It proves you can do it...it also proves...once again...the alcohlic pathways the ingrained I guess...

Soberwolf 10-28-2015 04:09 AM

Welcome Omshantianada

Need2stop27 10-28-2015 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Omshantiananda (Post 5618051)
Hello fellow quitters,
Five years ago, I maintained sobriety for over three years. The AV got me and I thought I could "moderate." Well, as I know well, it doesn't work, and I got right back into wine every night. I have made many significant, positive changes over the last year, and now it's time to put the icing on the cake and get sober again, to my authentic self.
I can do this.
Thank you for being here. Today is Day 1 AGAIN. I will never quit quitting.
Omshantiananda

This happened to me also, I believed I could handle just the one drink or drink moderately. That is probably the number one mistake for alcoholics (be nice to be like those in control wouldn't it). So yeah now I'm back to square one after not drinking for 6/7 years and struggling. I don't stop till my body does and that's dangerous. Recently went 7 days sober which was hard, avoiding temptation would seem impossible but it can be done. Don't give up!

Dropsie 10-28-2015 04:29 AM

Oms,

So many of us have been there -- don't want to accept that we cannot drink ever. I have that a lot -- its not the cravings that get me, its the wanting to be like everyone else and not wanting to truly accept at my core that not matter what else everyone else can do, I cannot drink ever.

Make me much for sympathetic to diabetic and people with allergies -- you can have it, I can't.

But it is what it is, and we be who we be. So accept I have -- abstinence is not control.

We got this!

Bird615 10-28-2015 04:44 AM

Welcome back to sobriety!

Need2stop27 10-28-2015 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dropsie (Post 5618106)
Oms,

So many of us have been there -- don't want to accept that we cannot drink ever. I have that a lot -- its not the cravings that get me, its the wanting to be like everyone else and not wanting to truly accept at my core that not matter what else everyone else can do, I cannot drink ever.

Make me much for sympathetic to diabetic and people with allergies -- you can have it, I can't.

But it is what it is, and we be who we be. So accept I have -- abstinence is not control.

We got this!

I agree. I believe it's almost like perfect bliss for us alcoholics to be drunk. We get to be who we want to be and life seems less boring. I often find myself beating around the bush when someone asks me why I don't drink, it's almost like I'm embarrassed to say I'm an alcoholic. I will make excuses or just simply say "it doesn't agree with me"

beeme 10-28-2015 05:04 AM

Welcome, Omshantiananda. May you be well on your journey.

entropy1964 10-28-2015 05:34 AM

Congrats and welcome back. I quit for a couple of years too....and lots of other periods ranging from 3-11 months for the last 10 years. I always know I can't moderate....insanity really. So glad you're back and trying again!

PurpleKnight 10-28-2015 06:52 AM

Welcome to the Forum Omshantiananda!! :wave:

Omshantiananda 10-28-2015 12:52 PM

Thank you for the welcome!

It was a gradual return to wine every night. At first, just once or twice a week and gradually it became every night and hangovers a couple of times a week. ENOUGH! I have to be done. It's so hard to worry about controlling it. It's much easier to just not do it. I remember after 6 - 7 months, I didn't really consider drinking most days. And, I loved the sobriety. So, I have said my goodbyes to the fruity liquid. I know it must be never again!

Thank you all for your welcome. It means a lot to be supported unconditionally...also makes me accountable.
I can do this. I will do this FOR ME!

Anna 10-28-2015 01:42 PM

Welcome!

I'm glad you found us.

SoberLeigh 10-28-2015 02:03 PM

Welcome, omshantianada, to SR; you've come to a great place for support, encouragement and understanding.

Wine was my poison, too; as you know from your three years of sobriety, it is possible to leave it behind and move forward into a better way to live.

Glad you found us.

Hevyn 10-28-2015 02:57 PM

Good to have you with us, omshantiananda.

I did the same thing - had 3 yrs. of sobriety & without thinking much about it, picked up again. Off I went for years of trying to manage it. Terrible things happened. I was so grateful to get free of it again - I think I needed that lesson. I'm glad you're on Day 1 again - you can do it. :)

Justincredible 10-29-2015 01:06 PM

Welcome!

Omshantiananda 10-29-2015 05:13 PM

:thanks, Everyone.
I am planning on a successful quit, especially with support like this. Peace,
Omshantiananda

biminiblue 10-29-2015 05:16 PM

Join us again on the sober side. We have cookies.

teatreeoil007 10-29-2015 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Omshantiananda (Post 5618700)
It was a gradual return to wine every night. At first, just once or twice a week and gradually it became every night and hangovers a couple of times a week. ENOUGH! I have to be done. It's so hard to worry about controlling it. It's much easier to just not do it. I remember after 6 - 7 months, I didn't really consider drinking most days. And, I loved the sobriety. So, I have said my goodbyes to the fruity liquid. I know it must be never again!

Thank you all for your welcome. It means a lot to be supported unconditionally...also makes me accountable.
I can do this. I will do this FOR ME!

Yes! Do this for you!! Best reason...
🌺

Omshantiananda 11-02-2015 03:29 AM

Hi All,
Checking in on Day 6. Feeling great, and I intend to stay that way. The work on my spirituality through meditation helps me to accept myself and make more skillful choices. I am feeling great, and intend to stay that way! Have a wonderful week everyone.
Oms:c011:

teatreeoil007 11-02-2015 04:01 AM

What is Oms? Pardon my ignorance... Glad u r feeling good!