Notices

Today's the day!

Old 10-28-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today's the day!

Hi there
Well I finally admit realise that alcohol is controlling me, every morning I wake up saying this is the day and by six o'clock in the evening I've convinced myself it's ok to have a glass of red! I function ok but I have lost days as been to sick to get out of bed or missed out on things as my heads all over the place. I look at other people and think oh they are drinking and ok so I can drink and be ok too. I'm 48 and I have pretty much drank since around the age of 16 I've had times in my life where I haven't drank for a year or a couple of months but that was a long time ago. Every event get together I have planned the first thing I think of is good I can have a drink and someone else can drive. I never go out without drinking I find it difficult and in a way I hide behind alcohol. Ok I've said it I have never said this to anyone and people that know me would be shocked to read this as I hide my addiction well. This is the first day of me not drinking, well it's only 9am but I am going to stick with it and with this site as I need this before I ruin my life I so much want to be back in control of my life. Thanks for reading this any support would be amazing please go easy on me as feeling fragile!
Old 10-28-2015, 02:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jenniferjenn View Post
Hi there
Well I finally admit realise that alcohol is controlling me, every morning I wake up saying this is the day and by six o'clock in the evening I've convinced myself it's ok to have a glass of red! I function ok but I have lost days as been to sick to get out of bed or missed out on things as my heads all over the place. I look at other people and think oh they are drinking and ok so I can drink and be ok too. I'm 48 and I have pretty much drank since around the age of 16 I've had times in my life where I haven't drank for a year or a couple of months but that was a long time ago. Every event get together I have planned the first thing I think of is good I can have a drink and someone else can drive. I never go out without drinking I find it difficult and in a way I hide behind alcohol. Ok I've said it I have never said this to anyone and people that know me would be shocked to read this as I hide my addiction well. This is the first day of me not drinking, well it's only 9am but I am going to stick with it and with this site as I need this before I ruin my life I so much want to be back in control of my life. Thanks for reading this any support would be amazing please go easy on me as feeling fragile!
Hi Jennifer, I relate to what you say, it helps so much to know others are in the same boat. Day by day, we can do this
Old 10-28-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good for you! I was basically the same as you, but then pretty much stopped going out and drank my wine at home alone....the social part of it stopped seeming to matter towards the end of my drinking days.

Lots of good people here. Keep hanging out and posting!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome! Lots of support here.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Jennifer your not alone this site is awesome
Old 10-28-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome! Good for you!

When you get to that time in the afternoon when you'd normally convince yourself to drink, go to the gym, out out for a walk, or whatever.

Good luck
Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Welcome, Jennifer!

Lots of great support and information waiting here for you! Stay close to us.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Jen,

Your post shows a lot of insight.

None of this is easy, but its worth it.

Not sure where all that guilt comes from, but you sure know when its gone.

You got this.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

This is so me too. I'm starting day 2 for the umpteenth time. I started drinking in my teens too as a coping mechanism for depression and anxiety. Fast forward to 50 and I'm doing the same thing. I was drinking a bottle of wine every night. Like you, I'm very functional and hide my addiction well. I'm also taking meds for my anxiety and depression (which I know I'm not supposed to mix with alcohol). Starting yesterday, I decided to move away from my addiction and instead concentrate on good health. My concentration is now on healthy food for meals, lots of water, and excercising. I feel ashamed of how I've treated my body and it's time to turn it around. I relate to you and feel your pain. You can do this, I can do this.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Jennifer! This is a great place for support. Post often, it really helps!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Welcome to SR, Jennifer!

I fought the same battle for a few years, every morning I would wake up and promise myself I wouldn't drink that night, but that evening I'd uncork another bottle.

I agree with Carver above- tonight when it's close to Wine O'Clock, mix up your schedule with other things as a distraction. You will likely still be thinking about it, but just push through. We'll be here!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am on day 3. We can do this!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum JenniferJenn!!
Old 10-28-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you

Thanks so much for the posts this is defo what I need.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Jenn. I'm 50 and one of the cool things about not drinking is I look so much better. I know, that's very superficial but it is motivating. Skin is glowing, wrinkles less wrinkly, no puffiness, losing weight. All good stuff. And drinking daily for women really increases our risks for breast cancer....so there's that.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Jenn. I used to hide my addiction well too. You will find that with some time under your belt, you will be so much happier. It's very gratifying and empowering to not have your life dictated by alcohol.

Welcome aboard and stay close to SR. This community can be a great source for recovery if you are willing to put in the time.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:35 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! It is a great place for information and sharing your progress.
Old 10-29-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Oh I can so relate, you can do this Jenniferjen, and it's totally worth it... I stopped at 53 and so glad I did... Best to you