Notices

Im new here and im ready to start my journey to recovery.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im new here and im ready to start my journey to recovery.

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm really starting to think I have to quit drinking all together instead of just fighting to control it. I drink every second night and have between 5-9 drinks. I used to be able to go two days without but lately I'm feeling like I struggle to go one day without.

When I was younger I would drink till I blacked out, and now my life is just a constant battle with me vs my addiction and trying to believe that I can be a moderate drinker.

Iv noticed the only time I feel happy is when I drink and the only thing I get excited about is drinking. I just want to feel happy about anything other than drinking. Did anyone else feel like this? And does it get better?
Old 10-27-2015, 05:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes, you are not alone. I felt like that quite a bit. I've been a daily drinker and a weekend binger. When daily drinking, it was routine, but when I "cut back" to just weekends, I would be in a pretty good mood all day knowing I could go home and have some drinks. It gets better. How long that takes is probably different for everyone. Many feel bored, and at first it kind of is, so having a plan is what is recommended. Best wishes.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome, Lullsia, to SR.

When I stopped drinking, I couldn't imagine a life without. The thing was that I could no longer imagine a life with it. I was broken and defeated.

The good news is that you can turn away from alcohol and lead a very happy and fulfilling life.

I never imagined sobriety could be so wonderful.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I feel exactly like that SoberLeigh. I feel as though I have no future at all with alcohol in my life. I have more control now over my drinking than Iv ever had before but it still controls me and runs my life. I come up with all these ideas for hobbies and things I want to learn but instead of actually doing any of them I just get drunk and talk about doing them.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Can totally identify x Welcome you've come to the right place!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sobriety is incredibly freeing; sometimes we don't know just how tightly we were bound until we have snapped the links of the chains.

One of the keys to snapping the links of the chain is acceptance - accepting that we are alcoholics, that we cannot successfully moderate our drinking, and that abstinence is the only solution. I gave moderation so many, many tries and I failed miserably with each attempt. The day I reached 'acceptance' was a game-changer for me.

Have a look around the site. Give special attention to the "Stickies" at the top of each forum; there is so much information and wisdom in them.

We are here for you 24/7.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome, Lullsia. I'm so glad you're here.

It was the thought of missing out that caused me to keep trying to control it. I knew I didn't drink like normal people - it meant way too much to me. Nothing seemed worthwhile unless it involved alcohol. Chasing the happy times I once had drinking, I brought myself to my knees. In the end, I was completely dependent on it - drinking all day. When I found SR I knew I never needed to be alone again. This is a wonderful place for friendship and understanding.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Did I feel happy when I drank? No. Especially not at the end. I felt numb. And I maybe forgot my problems to a degree. But, once I realized I had a problem with alcohol, the joy of drinking was displaced with guilt and shame. And of course, all of the problems that I had tried to ignore by getting drunk sprang back in spades.

So, you are doing the right thing. I am much happier, calm and productive since I quit drinking. And I finally have started to like myself and foregive myself. It has been a worthwhile journey for me.

I wish the same for you.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome Lullsia!

I too am new on my journey. It seems like our stories are quite similar. I have a little over a month now and life has been so much more fulfilling already!

Thepeople here have helped immensely and I would say come here every day, even if you do not post, just read and read and read.

Two things that help me through any day: 1. You never have to take a first drink again (knowing what the consequences are) and 2. You are not alone!!!

Again, welcome!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Here's something you can try:

Think back on a time or times in your life when you were happy without drinking. If you were able to be happy without drinking at one point in your life, you can do it again. As you remember being happy without drinking, just tell yourself over and over again that you can get that back.

"You can if you think you can!"

Blessed Be...
Old 10-27-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The guilt and shame for me comes when I sober up, I'll wake up in the middle of the night after sobering up and just bawl my eyes out that Iv done it again. I don't ever want to feel like that again.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hmmmm. j

Guilt and shame are funny things.

On the one hand they can make us really want to change so we won't feel guilt and shame anymore because guilt and shame are not enjoyable emotions. So, you can USE your guilt and shame in a good way if you really want to quit drinking. Like you say, you don't want to feel like this again...so take action and do what you need to do to not feel like this again...

On the other hand...there comes a point when we need to SHED guilt and shame as carrying around those negative emotions can turn you into an unhappy person with low self esteem! So, there has GOT to be some way to shed the guilt and shame. For me, I just decided to forgive myself and continue to love myself and start thinking more positive. I decided to surround myself with positive things and positive people as much as possible. I took an assessment of other negative emotions that I might be holding in too and have tried to find ways to deal with them and somehow resolve them.

I like to remember that there are people who love and care about me and sometimes I'm am much harder on myself than anyone.

The sobriety "path" is one of learning to forgive, changing what needs to be changed, being patient with yourself, drawing on the help that is available and being good to yourself...(there are many other wonderful things on the sobriety path too)...figuring why you feel compelled to drink ...

Blessed Be...
Old 10-27-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
C23
Resident Awesome Guy

Welcome! SR is a great support system. Keep reading and keep posting.

As for these early feelings, just know in my opinion, we kid ourselves into thinking that most of society drinks and has a good time doing activities while drinking. I dont believe this to be the case. Mostpeople do not drink or use like we all do, we just probably surrounded ourselves with those who did. It is time to surround yourself with others and find activities that while make you happy, without the booze. Trust me, i have played this game going on 6 years now with quitiing then backsliding and quitting again. It is a life long challenge, but one that together we can win!

Again...Welcome!
Old 10-28-2015, 12:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Lullsia yes I felt like this & yes it gets a lot better sobriety is such a precious gift
Old 10-28-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Lullsia! I'm glad you found us here. You'll find a lot of help and support from folks who've walked in your shoes. Speaking for myself moderation just doesn't work (or it didn't work for me). I could moderate for short periods but it was miserable- the beast always wanted rein. Two drinks wouldn't make me feel better- it would only make me want five more.

I found true freedom and peace only when I decided I couldn't win the war against booze by moderating. Only by not fighting at all, and totally walking away from booze, could I break free.
Old 10-28-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lullsia000 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm really starting to think I have to quit drinking all together instead of just fighting to control it. I drink every second night and have between 5-9 drinks. I used to be able to go two days without but lately I'm feeling like I struggle to go one day without.

When I was younger I would drink till I blacked out, and now my life is just a constant battle with me vs my addiction and trying to believe that I can be a moderate drinker.

Iv noticed the only time I feel happy is when I drink and the only thing I get excited about is drinking. I just want to feel happy about anything other than drinking. Did anyone else feel like this? And does it get better?
Hey lullsia, welcome 2 a great support network!!! Yep, sounds like me, i still drink to the point of blackout on most occasions, coz of work & kids i only drink twice a week, but ive tried to moderate my drinking for a good 10 years & have failed everytime, i decided to just stop, its all or nothing for me, there's no way in hell i can have just 1 or 2 glasses of wine, ill drink 2 bottles & want more!!!
This time ive been honest with my partner & some family members which i feel has made a huge difference & im on here eeading everyday, its a blessing & honestly i feel great, 2day is day 11, i dont feel bored or anxious which is what i was worried about, good luck!!!
Old 10-28-2015, 03:32 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks so much to you all for the support! For the first time in a long time I feel hopeful! Today is day two and usually the day I would have drank but I haven't! I think this site is the reason. I feel so inspired by everyone here and have found it so helpful to read through all the threads.
Old 10-28-2015, 04:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

2 days is friggin awesome !!! way to go you
Old 10-28-2015, 06:51 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Lullsia!!